PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

steering geometry (self balancing)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steveg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: steering geometry (self balancing) Reply with quote

has anyone out there given thought to modifying the litesar/pulse to self balanceing (wile driving) something like a regular motorcycle? i have read toney foals articals and i dont think that it is a big mod to do.. wouldlike other input though..
email me directly stevengeorge@usadatanet.net (note new email address) litestar #009
steve george litestar #009
otisco NY
Robert Cervero

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not any easy task. First of all you need to change over to a straight handlebar system like the Eco-mobile. The steering box doesn't allow the front wheel to self center. Then you have to redesign the front forks to get the proper rake, trail and caster like a normal motorcycle. Then you need a way to get the outrigger wheels up higher or to retract so they don't touch the ground when you are up on 2 wheels but they still need to be close to the ground so you don't fall over when you stop.
On top of all that the front wheel of a normal Pulse is pretty far in front of the driver. The handlebars would have to be in front of the windshield unless you had really long extended forks like a chopper. Not good at slow speed. Then the steering head would have to be between your legs. Also I don't know if there is sufficient room inside the Pulse for handlebars. The Eco-mobile is much wider than a Pulse. I suppose with lots of redesign it might be possible but I'm not optimistic.
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've added a picture to my webshots account .
http://community.webshots.com/album/148097077SMkaUz

Jack from Jack's Cycle Salvage in Sanford, Fl just got his Pulse back on the road after several years of sitting around in various stages of disassembly. He went with a Honda PC8 as the donor bike. He completely removed the original Pulse front suspension and fabricated in the PC8 steering knuckle, suspension, wheel, brakes, handlebars, controls, .....the "whole kitchen". To compensate for the offset that Bob described, he ran 2 pitman arms from the PC8 steering plate back to a newly fabricated steering assembly, which can be seen in the image. I haven't driven it nor had the chance to ask Jack if it now handles and balances more like a motocycle than a Pulse, but I will. Obviously, it still has the outriggers, so it's not going to lean any different than it did before, but we're all curious if it actually "balances" on 2 wheels when it's running down I-4.
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a side note..... one of these days I'll try adding an image to my post as per the instructions, so you don't have to follow links around the internet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: