PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

headlight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikepulse325

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: headlight Reply with quote

I've had some great advice from Dave Bauer on my headlight failing to come up. Thought I'd pass on the experience so far. As Dave suggested, it is the relay/switch located on the light housing. Impossible to get to without either pulling the nose off or removing the back bolts from the unit and attempting to lift out the assembly through the headlight hole. Making matters worse is the fact that the screw heads holding the relay to the unit are on backwards against the lightwall bulkhead. Now the good news for me so far, and I hope others with the same problem: I went to the junkyard and played with several Fieros (headlight from them). I noticed that the manual turn knob turns quite easily and there are two small cups on the top of the knob. Also there are flanges around the knob. So, thinking you can make a tool for everything, I found that a welder spark starter (thin grade wire) bent at a slight angle will fit in the gap between the closed headlight and the body and fit into the cups. I turned the knob quite easliy to the point where torque gave me push back, then stuck another wire against the flange to hold the knob from slipping while I readjusted the spark starter for another turn. I thought I was getting somewhere but torque was winning as the wire holding the flange would slip (I'm sure I could get better at it). Anyways, after one of the slips, I got frustrated and tried the switch - boom, up went the unit! There is still a problem with the relay (headlight switches from high to low - sometime the unit will not go down in the off position unless I switch to high beam) but for about 15 times or so, when the unit is stuck in the down position, I turn the manual knob a few times, then hit the switch and up pops the light. I do not know if playing with the knob is resetting the relay or what - but rather than pulling the nose off, I'll keep turning!
Falcon Wing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, when I was into Fieros (had an 88GT and an 87 ChopTop v/ a LT1).
I found this vender very helpful when it came to head light problems. Fortunately none were electrical and were all bushing related (very easy fix).
Check out his site here and click ELECTRICAL then scroll down to HEADLIGHTS

http://www.rodneydickman.com/retail.html
www.picturetrail.com/falconwing2 (seat bracket build)
Jeremy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: Headlight Switches Reply with quote

Mike,
I had a lot of trouble with mine not wanting to go down with out flipping the switches a few times too. I found out that it was in the cheap Switch. Try pushing in on the middle of the switch when you turn it off. You should be able to feel a difference in the way it clicks and it should go down more reliably.

Note if this works for you; replace the switch.

Jeremy

Ps. I also have owned a Fiero in the past and know a few of the problems with the headlight itself. But the only problem I have had in the Pulse was it not wanting to go down and it was the switchs in the dash.
Nelson Locke

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Headlight - fiero - don't work too hard at it. Reply with quote

I answered this a year ago. You need to replace the existing switch with a three position switch. That's it, end of issue. Simple and cheap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: