PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

yam 400 to ZX7R

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stevenp74

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 5:32 pm    Post subject: yam 400 to ZX7R Reply with quote

This is a question for Don and Bob or anyone who has installed a kawasaki
engine in their Pulse.
Where or how do you find a wrecked motorcycle to buy? I see engines
with wiring harnesses on e-bay but don't know if a whole bike would be
better. I am open to any and all help!
Thanks
Steve shafer #74

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to do this as well. I am getting the max out of the yam 400 but I am thirsting for speed and reliability, neither of which is the yam 400.

I solved the retractable headlight problem. Here is how. Put in a three position switch. top opens the headlight and turns it on. Middle turns it off. bottom retracts it. No drain on power, works every single time OK. No relay issues, nothing. A simple three position switch.

I replaced the outriggers with high speed trailer tires and wheels from Norrthern Tool. Mine came off with two bolts on each outrigger, dropped down, cleaned up the inside of the outrigger, bada bing there you have it.

But the oli goes drip drip drip and I have a lingering gas odor. So here is the question of the night., Is the thing on the fuel line an electric cut off switch that activates when the egine is off? The filter fits in the bottom of it, seems like this switch may have been the cause of my car cutting out on me. Any comments on what this mystery part is?

That's it for tonight. I drove over for a coffee a few minutes ago, had to fight back a crowd and it is ten PM.
Dave Bauer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 10:31 pm    Post subject: Headlight fix and Fuel Fix Reply with quote

To 'guest'.
I'm interested in your fix for the headlight. Please describe the wiring changes you made.

As far as the fuel switch (solenoid) goes, it is possible that this part can cause unexplained shutdowns. You need this solenoid valve if you have any of the gravity fill carbed engines (Yamaha 400 or Honda 500). It replaces the fuel tank petcock that you normally close when the bike is not running to prevent dumping fuel if a float sticks. You do not need this if you have a Goldwing engine since they operate off of a mechanical fuel pump. They are available on the internet. Simply search on the manufacturer's name listed on the side.
-Dave Bauer
therouj

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding finding a wreck. Do a search for salvage bikes and several sites should show up. Also it appears you're in FL. Check any real large dealership as they are sometimes also in the salvage business buying and selling wrecked bikes and their parts.
Bob Cervero

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I found someone who could bid in an insurance auction for me. He had a list of wrecked vehicles that would be coming up at the auction near me in Orlando. A couple of wrecked ZX7's were on the list. I was able to get a 1992 ZX7 for $700. I often see wrecked ZX7's on eBay. It is much better to get one locally so you can avoid the shipping costs. Bob Cervero
therouj

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also if the vehicle is local you can often inspect and in some cases hear it run. I'm putting a Ninja 500 in #276. I bought the wreck from a local dealer who started it and actually rode it very carefully to demo. It had 6,000 miles was 2 years old and was bought for a song. Originally I was to get an older 500 from a relative but that fell through, probably lucky for me.
muddiman199

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:54 pm    Post subject: Kawasaki ZX7R Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
Your best bet is to search on ebay for a ZX7R engine. Look for a 1996 and later ZX7R engine. You want a complete engine with all the supporting parts. Radiator and all hoses, complete exhaust system with muffler, handlebar clutch cylinder assembly and hoses, air filter, all water hoses, thermostat housing, carbs, fuel pump, throttle linkage/cables, complete ignition system includes wiring harness, coils, ignition module, ignition switch (key not needed), alternator. Just get everything that the engine would need to run out of the bike. They typically call the above added items a car kit. The mini sprint races use this engine also. The going price for all of this will be somewhere between $1200 and $1600 dollars. You can also look for a motorcycle salvage dealer for all the above items. If you buy on ebay make sure you talk to the person before you lay your money out. Also make sure he has plenty of positive feed backs.

Well I have replaced my Pulse 199 with a 2001 BMW K1200LT touring bike. My wife Jean and I fly to North Carolina Friday to pick it up and drive it back home. After riding the BMW I forgot all about of wanting a Honda Goldwing. The BMW is one awesome motorcycle. Here is a link to an image of one with in the color I have purchased.
http://www.bmwscruz.com/motorcycles/2001/LTmauve.jpg

Keep'em Humming,
Don Muddiman
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:37 am    Post subject: Engine replacement Options Reply with quote

On the subject of engine replacement options. What's peoples thoughts on the Honda GL1500? Plenty of pulling power, shaft drive, water cooled, and reverse.
Dave Bauer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:50 am    Post subject: GL1500 engine into a Pulse Reply with quote

Not sure it will fit. The drivetrain is too long.

I looked into this back when I converted my machine. I thought the distance from the front of the engine to the back of the rear wheel was too long. Perhaps you could come up with a way to modify the frames of each machine to make it fit, but it would be very close. Even so, you would have to cut out part of your body sides to accomodate the valve covers as the Pulse body is too narrow.

I ended up using a GL1000 frame and engine. A GL1100 or 1984 GL1200 frame should also work. I don't think an '85 to '87 GL1200 would work because they are 4 inches longer.

I can send photos of my install. You'll see how snug the fit is.
-Dave
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Thanks for the insights from your engine swap. I'd love to see pictures. If you have them online somewhere send a link or you can send them to me directly at bob@n-space.com, but I'm sure all those on the forum will benefit from your work.

So, did you just reinstall the original equipment reverse motor or just go without one?

Will the longer frame of the 1500 push too far into the passenger compartment or would it be ok if the Pulse frame was modified?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: