PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chengsls

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM Reply with quote

Can anyone please shed some light on the following electrical challenges (in the rear engine compartment):

1. Do all Pulses with the 400cc Yamaha motor use the "TCI" electonic igition system with a pick up coil (i.e. no points) vice the ignition system with a contact breaker assembly (left-hand side of the cylinder head)? Does the TCI Unit mount on the left hand side near the terminal block? What else is installed here, as it appears mine is gone and maybe some other electrical components? I only have the terminal block mounted here with some connectors from the ignition coils and alternator that look like they plug into something that is missing!

2. In addition, I cannot determine where my reverse motor wires into, any ideas?
Steve C. Schmidt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: vin Reply with quote

Hi chengsls,

Welcome to the club.

What is the last three digits of your VIN. I would like to add your car to our Registry Webpage.

Thanks,

Steve Schmidt
Owosso, MI

webmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Bob Cervero Reply with quote

Welcome to the world of working on your Pulse! Before you start, you need to identify which Yamaha 400 you have in your Pulse. There were 2 different ones. The older SH model had a kick starter. The newer RJ has a valve cover shaped like the letter "H" when you looked at the top of the motor.
Once you have identified yours, get a Yamaha repair manual for it. They are available online or on Ebay. Also check out the online Pulse page. Plenty of advice and repair tips there.
chengsls

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: ELCETRICAL SYSTEM Reply with quote

Thanks. My VIN was earlier updated on the registry.

I have the RJ Engine (H-type w/ electric start) and the workshop manual. There were two RJ engine types, one mechanical timing and one with the TCI.

I am guessing that all Pulses with the 400cc Yamaha had the TCI.

Is the TCI unit installed on the left hand engine compartment near the terminal connectors? What else is here, as some compenents on mine appear to have been removed? In additiion, my reverse motor connectors go nowhere. Where do the get wired into?

V/R Scott.
Stevenp74

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: electrical Reply with quote

Scott'
I own #74 and have the SJ 400 the oldest and smallest engine used that
I have found. It has the TCI ignition and all I have seen with the 400
do have that ignition. The number on the side of your case will indicate the
exact model of your engine.Mine starts with 14V..., my book shows
all the components that are applicable to your model.
Sorry I do not have reverse.
P.S. Ebay is a great place for parts and manuals.

Good Luck!
Steven Shafer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: