PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new engine choice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stevenp74

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: new engine choice Reply with quote

I am thinking of replacing my sj400 with a kawasaki 2005 636. not looking
for great speed just something that can haul the Pulse with two on board.
Must be water cooled!! I wish to keep the frame original and want it
dependable as practical. I am open to all ideas! Not sure if a 500 would
be large enough and a 750 is as large as I think I would like to go.

I know you have some thoughts, so lets here them!

Thanks!!!
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

I don't know what your plans are or your budget, but if you have to pay $3000 + for a used 2005 KAW, I'd try to find a donor Honda Goldwing GL1500 that is water cooled, shaft driven, and has the all important reverse gear.

Bob
Stevenp74

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: new engine Reply with quote

Bob,
I like Honda, and I like the thought of having a reverse. However,
would't I have to chop the entire end of the Pulse off and do some
major fiberglass work also. At the rally I looked close at the Honda
Pulses they are very different then ours. Fred who owns #61 has
a 750 kawasaki and was it is very original looking. My time and
skills are limited. Not to mention I would like to drive my pulse
to the Florida rally. In fact at this point I would just like to be able
to drive my pulse!

Thanks for your input. I need all the help I can get!
Robert Cervero

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Steve. I'm the previous owner of Pulse #61 and did the install of the 750 Kawasaki that you saw. Don Muddiman and I worked together to figure out how to make this motor work in a Pulse. He put the same motor in his #199. Both Pulses were greatly improved by this installation.
We chose to go with the Kawasaki after lengthy discussions for several reasons. We did not want to modify the Pulse frame or body. We wanted to retain the automotive wheel on the rear. Pulses don't lean in corners. We also did many measurements of the Kawasaki to ensure it would fit in the space occupied by the 400 Yamaha. And it would be cheaper than the Honda.
I bought a wrecked Kawasaki 750 for $800. It was complete and ran but needed a new radiator because of the wreck. Don bought a motor and all accessories to make it run on Ebay for $1200.
You need to remove the 400 and put the new motor in its place and fab new motor mounts. Then mount the radiator up in the nose of the Pulse and run water lines to it. The stock exhaust fit perfectly with the Pulse body and frame and only required one cut and re-weld. You need to figure out how to activate the clutch. The Kawasaki clutch was hydraulic so I used the Pulse clutch cable system to pull on the Kawasaki clutch master cylinder and it worked fine.
As far as the Kawaski 636, I don't know much about that one. As long as it will fit in the frame, why not? I assume it's a chain drive motor? That also will let you experiment with different sprockets to optimise your set up.
Steve C. Schmidt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

Maybe now is a good time to take your Pulse to Bob Hichborn and have him update engine and replace outrigger frames and fairings. Either way, I hope you can bring it to the 2006 Marion Rally.

Steve Schmidt
Stevenp74

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: new engine Reply with quote

Robert,
Thanks for your insight. I remember when you and Don installed the
750 in #199 and#61. Don documented this change over with hundreds
of pictures, which I did put on a CD thankfully. He did a great job
showing every step involved. I also have your contributions in my
file. The reason I am thinking of the 636 is because I can get an
2005 engine and they are still making them. It is slightly smaller
than the 750 as you would expect and I would have to modify the
motor mounts you used with the 750 slightly. I don't have a reverse
which makes a Honda seem nice though!.
After much consideration I have decided to keep the modified
outriggers as used in Sea Quest and a few other movies. They are
uggly but the kids still want to be able to sit in the seats on the
outriggers. Those who wonder what I am talking about look up
Pulse #74.

Thanks again for all input!
hatfield

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Hichborn,

I have a Pulse with a Honda 1100 engine in it. You mention the 1500 engine. I had read somwhere that this woudn't fit in a pulse. How difficult a job is it to put the 1500 in a pulse that already has a 1100?
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't integrated a Honda Goldwing GL1500 into a Pulse yet, but I don't think it would present any issues that would be "show stoppers". The wheelbase of the GL1500 is spec'd at 66.5 inches which is roughly 3 inches longer than the GL1100 at 63.4. The GL1500 also has a 6 cylinder powerplant vs the GL1100's 4 cylinder. So, more horsepower and smoother ride. The jewel for us Pulse owners is the GL1500's REVERSE GEAR.

Looking at my Pulse #77, it looks like hiding the extra 3 inches within the frame and body panels shouldn't present any particular problems. There is a 200 lb weight differential between the GL1100 and the GL1500, but I'm not sure how much of this is associated with parts that are removed when the donor bike is stripped.

Once I get the move to my new house completed (hopefully within the next 2 weeks) I'll investigate this conversion a bit more. My feeling is that, in general, you can integrate anything you want into the rear of the Pulse. It's just a matter of how much welding or body work you care to do.
Steve Schmidt
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Steve C. Schmidt Reply with quote

I have attempted to post most Engine re-powering comments from many owners experiences in regards to the question......What is the best engine to power the Pulse?

I have come to the conclusion that the Yamaha 400cc is not a good choice because it is air-cooled and tends to overheat under some conditions.

The Honda Gold-Wing water-cooled engine is much better, but needs a couple of fans on the engine if you want to use it in a slow parade.

You may want to print this page off for further reference.

http://www.autocycles.org/engine.html
Dave Bauer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:57 am    Post subject: Why a GL1500 engine won't work Reply with quote

Guys,
A 1500 cc GoldWing engine will NOT work in a Pulse unless you want to extend your body or loose your back seat. The GL1500's wheel base may only be 3 inches longer than a GL1100 but the length of the bike from the front of the engine to the back of the rear tire is much longer. Specifically, the transmission much longer on the GL1500. Because of this, the GL1500 will not fit.

I installed a GL1000 engine and chassis into my Pulse. I installed it as far forward into the engine bay as I could. The rear wheel is now 4-5 inches farther aft than before and is about as close to the inside of the rear body panels as it can get.

Now, if one of you want to produce longer body panels, then I'd consider a GL1500 again...
Nelson Locke

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:03 am    Post subject: Driving your pulse to the Florida Rally Reply with quote

That sounds great. In 2004 we did a beach tour sort of thing but it was Octoberfest and the traffic was a mess. In March, we ought to have a little more room to work with?

I am rebuilding a second 400. Unlike a lot of you guys my 400 has worked well so I figured why mess with it? The rebuild will have new carbs, all new seals, etc. Ought to hum.

How is it going, Ralph and Bob??
donald conley

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked with Dave Baur a couple of years ago and also muddleman about using a Honda ST1100. Its now in and I gave up about 1 1/2 inches in the back seat, and the rear wheel at the rear most fiberglass shell. We installed it to remove the entire engine with 9 bolts and rewired all wires with plugs, to unplug and move to the rear for severe work. The transmission gear shift was swapped to the other side to put it on the right side. Replaced rear brake hose to work in with current front master cylinder. I used the instrument panel from the 1100 and extended all wires up front. I used the cycle swith controls and placed one on the left side and other on the right. works great but took ten miles of wire. Raised the gas tank 3 inches and the reverese unit is placed right under it. Had to make a new electrical panel to hold all of the electric stuff. I kept the wiring on the donor bike in tact, spliced in all rear wires to original tail lights. I moved the hydrolic clutch resivour up front and ran new line down steel tube to slave unit on front of engine. .Moved radiator up front and built brackets for it and baffeling. ran 20 feet of radiator hose up to the radiator. I am going to test drive unit and make sure all systems are working before I start closing it up. Lots of muffler work and enclosing engine. I love the way that v4 runs. I used a 97 st1100 as donor bike. Dave was right when he said your in for a project. you have to build everything. Will post more as time goes. don in Amarillo, Texas.
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don,

I don't think you can do any work on the Pulse without it turning into a "project" and swapping out the power plant is probably the most challenging. It sounds like you did a lot of interesting custom work. Any pictures for the group would be great!

It sounds like you moved the reverse unit. Did you use the original unit or come up with something new?

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: