PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

On Board Compressor for Rear Air Shocks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RFly2Dive

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject: On Board Compressor for Rear Air Shocks Reply with quote

Any suggestions from this group as to which on board 12V compressor to use???
I m leaning toward a 12Volt DC 115 Thomas unit...other option is to use an AC compressor unit with 12 volt inverter but this just seems over complicated...Other than a switch on the instrument panel what have the guru's here done???
thanks
Ralph Wolf
elden simons

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:50 am    Post subject: OMCC Installed Compressor Reply with quote

Before I ordered my Pulse, I went through J.C. Whitney for the 12v. compressor. What I had seen at Plant #2 were Pulses with valve stems just behind the front tire (give or take at an angle) for front shock adjustment. I was otherwise to understand that there was less need to adjust the rear shocks. So, when I provided my downpayment, I also brought a box of goodies to install. The compressor was one of the goodies.
It worked reliably for #308.
I'm just befuddled as to why I found so much water in my front shocks in 1991 when I removed them and yanked the air lines.... *Gurgle,Gurgle*
Robert Cervero

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the JC Whitney onboard compressor on Pulse #61. It came with tubing, connectors and an in dash control that included an on/off switch and a pressure release button. It worked great.
Water in a compressed air system is generated by the compressor. All shop compressed air systems have a water trap at the lowest point to collect and finally dump the trapped water. Pulses do not usually have these traps.
Steve Schmidt
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Compressor Reply with quote

Bob,

Could you please give us the J.C. Whitney part numbers?

thanks,

steve
Robert Cervero

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I looked in my JC Whitney catalogue and I couldn't find the one I bought. I went online to JC Whitney and it was there. It's called Air Lift Onboard Compressor system ZX815499A. It looks like the one I bought, however the one I bought was totally manual control. The one online says it's manual control but it also has an automatic feature that keeps the air pressure from going too low and will automatically turn the compressor on at that time. I think this is the same one I bought with an added feature. I would call JC Whitney and make sure the minimum pressure could be adjusted low enough. If I remember correctly Pulse # 61 ran around 80 psi in the rear shocks with just me in it and around 90 psi with a passenger. Maybe if John Showalter reads this, the present owner of Pulse #61, he could tell us what pressures he runs in #61.
DON SUCHA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulse 246 has front and rear air shocks. I installed an AIR LIFT Load Controller II compressor, AIR LIFT part # 25812. This system has 1 compressor, two pressure guages, two bleed valves and two seperate air systems seperated by check valves so that you can bleed off air in in the front or rear shock systems seperately. Both seperate systems fill with compressed air at the same time from the compressor. It also has 2 automatic low pressure switches but since they turn the compressor on at only 5 psi they will not work on the Pulse because the Pulse needs 80 to 100 psi. I also installed a solenoid valve [Mead Fluid Dynamics part # MB12-1CSC-12VDC] in the front shock air line in order to be able to shut off compressor air to the front shocks when filling the rear shocks for two people. I had to install this check valve because if enough air pressure is added to raise the rear shocks for 2 people the front goes too high and it is a pain to try to bleed the front shocks back down every time the rear pressure needs changed. The rear shocks require about 20 psi more than the front to make the Pulse level with two people on board.
Robert Cervero

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction! The JC Whitney part number I gave before is incorrect. I found a 2004 catalog and was able to find the compressor kit I installed in Pulse #61. The correct JC Whitney part number is 13UV3736A. This is the correct unit to use with air shocks. It is capable of making 160 psi. The incorrect unit is for air bag suspensions which use lower pressure. Sorry for the confusion.
Steve C. Schmidt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Search?catalogId=10104&storeId=10101&sku=13UV3736A&searchbtn.x=13&searchbtn.y=9
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: