PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some questions for Pulse owners....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ercoupe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Some questions for Pulse owners.... Reply with quote

Hello all,
Yesterday, up here in the Northeast, the winds were out of the West at 10k and gusting to 22k. I was driving home from work in my diminutive Jeep Wrangler (the most un-aerodynamic vehicle know to man) and wondering how a Pulse would handle these crosswinds. Considering the relatively lightweight of a vehicle that’s 16ft long and traveling on two wheels (or three) at 55 mph in a crosswind I have to wonder if this would be a handful to control or a near death experience? I think I have viewed and digested just about every byte of information I can about the Pulse on the Internet, I cannot find any information regarding the "real world" handling of these beautiful machines. I think I have seen all the published performance stats available and I am inclined to say BS to most of it. Don't get me wrong; I am not maligning this vehicle. I will own one soon but, I truly want to know its limitations before I offer my soul to the wife to get one.
I have noticed some of you have added vertical stabilizers and in some cases horizontal stabilizers and I am wondering if these enhance of diminish the handling of the Pulse? Has anyone tried inverted airfoils to attempt to increase ground contact at higher speeds? I don't ask that question because I will drive one like an F-18. I'm just the kind of guy that likes to improve on a design. I was thinking the Pulse would look great with a reversed dihedral on the horizontal stabilizer like the F-4 Phantom fighter. Also, I would consider an inverted airfoil in a canard configuration up front as in many of the Burt Rutan's designs. That’s enough for now. I have every intention to be an informed buyer before I write that BIG check and have to wash dishes and windows for the rest of my life.........
Thanks for putting up with me,
Ken Lessard
Falcon Wing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in eastern Colorado Springs which is notorious for high winds. There were several times I was headed into town in #199 when the winds were 90' to my direction of travel and I honestly didn't have any problem driving through the high winds. I could see the wind blowing brush across the road and the car was smooth sailing. If I let go of the wheel it would drift, but was no problem with hands on. I think the aerodynamics sure did their job. I did keep the ride height of the outriggers only about 1.5" off the ground.....any more then it probably would flop a bit.
www.picturetrail.com/falconwing2 (seat bracket build)
elden simons

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Dihedral...er, what? Reply with quote

BRAVO! in your enthusiasm for the sharp design of the G.C.R.V. 'Hollywood Bob' will get the bugs figured out soon.
'Falcon Wing' has it right, keep the adjustments in trim and you should have a decent ride. Yet, it is a light vehicle and I've been knocked a bit when I drove. I could agree that I might not have had it at the right adjustment for shocks.
Got hit by sidewind one day (1991) and experianced Unload of the airshocks! I was suddenly in the slow lane in a blink of an eye, after been shoved from the fast lane. Lucked out in not having anyone occupying it already.

Now, for the idea for adding cunnards to the nose area, well that's a iffy subject. See, someone of law might take issue on such as it may pose additional injury to personages upon impact.
Nevermind the fact that person/vehicle impact is injurous already. It may be a factor when investigation delves into 'said vehicle' incorporating nonstandard protrusions causing additional... blah, blah, blah. This is something to think about when locating the cunnards higher than typical motor vehicle chin spoilers

I'm just the second response so far to this... there's more members to comment yet. Rolling Eyes
Clifford D.B.R.D.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:35 am    Post subject: Adding Canards Reply with quote

Could canards be added that would retract at lower speeds? Since horizontal controls surfaces only work at higher speeds. they would not help at slower speeds such as in residential areas that have speeds less than 35 mph where pedestrians are more likely to be encountered. However, at highway speeds they could prove to be helpful.
Falcon Wing

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why canards would be a problem OR illegal, if someone is going to get close enough to get clipped by a cannard, they are definitely going to be mowed down by the outrigger!
www.picturetrail.com/falconwing2 (seat bracket build)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:33 am    Post subject: Oh boy.. here I go again Reply with quote

At risk of being too blunt in a public forum: I think the two greatest threats to our American society today are the American Civil Liberties Union and the A.T.L.A (Association of Trial Lawyers of America). If I were to install canards (with razor sharp leading edges) I can only hope a member of one of these two groups are the first ones the scene of the accident. Haha...lol Sorry about that ... Hope your not a lawyer standing in front of my someday to be owned Pulse! Twisted Evil Sue me... I ain't got enough to waste your time on.... I am truly sorry for the political opinion. I really love the concept of the Pulse but when lawyers and litigation get involved it brings out the evil side of me...Ken
thatjoeguy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: reatractable surfaces? Reply with quote

I've wondered about this one too -- having kept my eyes on those pop-up wings from the VW & Porsches...

Was wondering what it would take to install something like it in the outriggers...
Steve195

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pulse doesnt seem get "lite" at high speeds like a car. It is not airfoil shaped like a car and doesn't lift with speed. Keep the outriggers at the specified height, 1 outrigger wheel at 3/4" above the surface and it will tolerate the wind the same as most automobiles. Certainly better than my Company Ford Econoline Van.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: