PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electric

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philipl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Electric Reply with quote

I keep coming back to this as a good electric vehicle. Bob, can the tube be replace with a Battery channel? Seems to me that would be a great way to store 6 to 9 batteries.
elden simons

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Anything is possible, eh? Reply with quote

Since we have to straddle the center pipe anyways, replacing it with I-beam type metal and joining the bottoms of such with a long piece of 3/16 inch metal would create the channel for batteries.
Using maintenance-free batteries would reduce by a margin the amount of electrolyte gases, but venting would still have to be purposeful to keep it out of the cockpit.

At present, the distribution of weight on the GCRV is odd already. The weight of a present Pulse varies with the engine size and so with the occupant(s) as well. Developing a GCRV with batteries down the middle will give it a decidedly different effect.

Next problem is, what size are the batteries to keep the electric motor happy? I'd say...pose this problem with our illustrious member in Washington state.

"Keep it Alive, by keeping the Pulse going!"
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.... member Dave McCoy has had the conversion done on his Pulse. His system is a 72volt setup with 6-12volt batteries. With all the additional space vacated by a motorcycle engine and gas tank, I would think there would be planty of space to house the batteries, controller, etc.... without perhaps using the center spar. However, installing them along the center might lower the Center of Gravity, allowing the driver to have more control over balancing the Pulse.

I've been on several EV sites in the past year and the conversion does not look that difficult and can probably be done for around $2000, depending on where you get your components. The controller appears to be the most expensive element.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: