PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Speedometer cable replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kooman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject: Speedometer cable replacement Reply with quote

My speedometer stopped working and I think it needs a new speedometer cable. What kind am I looking to purchase and what is invoved in replacing it? Thanks, Dave
Steve Schmidt
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a search of this message board and came up with the following information on Speedometers:

The speedometer and other guages are usually taken from the donor bike and used in the Litestar or Pulse dash. The speedo gear is usually located on the front wheel and a replacement can be obtained from a motorcycle shop or some owners have used a bright LED electronic speedometer from JC Whitney that uses 4 magnets wired to the driveshaft and a magnetic sensor. It was calibrated by following another car at a known speed and adjusting a knob on the back. The problem would be finding a place to mount the magnets on a Pulse. You could replace with a 1976-1981 Yamaha XS360 and XS400 motorcycle speedo. Other owners have used a small LED out of an old computer and using electrical shrink wrap to attach the LED to a flexible tube and aimed it at the speedo which can be calibrated for any size tire.

Some owners opt to place a GPS on the dash and forget the motorcycle speedometer that came with their Pulse.

Or you could .......order from JCWhitney, Item # AGV062591 is a speedometer Cable Repair Kit with 50’ of inner cable and fittings. Try to use the old jacket (lubricate it highly) and see if it works!

Dave Bauer says.......ANY speedo shop can take your old cables and make a new one for you. Simply take your old one in to them and tell them you need a new one made up. They will likely have all the parts you need. If not, they can reuse the ends of your old one. Best of all, the cost is minimal (about $30).

Did it on mine. Works great.

In fact, I can even do you one better! Does your speedo read about 10% low, like all the others? I have a cable with a transmission built into it that will correct that problem and make your speedo and odometer read correctly. Contact me if you are interested.

Dave Bauer........debauer1 at cox.net
Dave Bauer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: speedo cable Reply with quote

Yep, that is correct. Speedo cables are easy.

I still have that gear reduction unit which will make your speedo accurate. I'll give it away for a song to anyone who needs it.
-Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: