PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

canopy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
classicchevy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:53 am    Post subject: canopy Reply with quote

Does anyone know if new canopies are available? thanks Rick

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea im interested in one too .. steveg #008..
chengsls

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I ordered a windshield and a main canopy from Todd's Canopies and reeived it on 5/18/05. I purchased both for $500. Shipping was $257 from Florida to California via MotorCargo.

I installed the windshield, but will not be using the canopy. It is in the original box and has not even been "unwrapped", but looks great. It came "tinted" like most Pulse customers order. I really bit off more than I can chew with just getting my Pulse on the road, let alone the minor cometic work of replacing the canopy. My canopy is in good condition. What was I thinking!

I would take $200 (you pay for shipping), or make me an offer. My phone 951-304-7987. Scott.
Falcon Wing

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chengsls wrote:
Yes. I ordered a windshield and a main canopy from Todd's Canopies and reeived it on 5/18/05. I purchased both for $500. Shipping was $257 from Florida to California via MotorCargo.

I installed the windshield, but will not be using the canopy. It is in the original box and has not even been "unwrapped", but looks great. It came "tinted" like most Pulse customers order. I really bit off more than I can chew with just getting my Pulse on the road, let alone the minor cometic work of replacing the canopy. My canopy is in good condition. What was I thinking!

I would take $200 (you pay for shipping), or make me an offer. My phone 951-304-7987. Scott.

How much would shipping be to Colorado do you suppose??
www.picturetrail.com/falconwing2 (seat bracket build)
chengsls

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mailboxes Etc. quoted UPS Ground as $147.77 to zip code 43001. That is an Ohio zip code, but I did not know yours and they just took a stab at it.
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of us members have recently tried to contact Todd from Todd's Canopies in south Florida via email, web site, and phone, with no luck. Has anyone in the group had any contact with him in the recent past? Unforunately, he is the only source of replacement canopies for the Pulse and for me, my only source for getting canopies for my new vehicles. Hopefully, one of our southern Florida Pulse owners can do alittle research and see if he's still around. If not, it would be nice to get the molds. As a group, we've discussed going in together and finding someone that will provide a glass windshield and plastic canopy replacements. Did anything more concrete ever come from that effort?

Bob
RON PALMER 154

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to make my own canopies but they would start to get small cracks in them from UV rays and hot Texas sun. I heard about Todd and ended up sending him my molds for the windshild and canopy. Then he started offering them to the guys. I hope he is ok as some of us need stuff. I gave him the molds. Ron
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron and all,

I finally was able to speak with Todd. He's alive and well and presently building a set of canopies for one of us Pulse owners. So life is good .......

Bob
Stevenp74

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:03 am    Post subject: canopy Reply with quote

JUST A LITTLE HELP PLEASE!.
I have a new canopy from Todd's and have read how to mark the canopy for
final trim. How do you hold the new canopy in place? My old canopy was
fitted with three pieces rivetted in place. I don't want to use rivets on the
new canopy. I think ( thats a scary thought) that someone at the rally
said to use some kind of double sided tape. Thats where I need the help.
What kind of tape do you use ?, If you use tape!Since I am here what
do you use to hold the new windshield in place. This one is only half
as thick as the glass ones.

Thanks
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,
Did you get your canopy from Todd's? I'm in the process of fitting one of his right now and it's actually thicker than the older one I took off. The original was attached with a clear silicon glue, but I don't think it will hold in my case. Because of the canopy thickness and curvature across the back edge, I'm going to have to use screws to keep it in position. I've been doing some research on how the folks in the kit aircraft business do it. You have to be REAL careful drilling holes in plexi. I'm ordering a drill bit cut exclusively for plexi, because when drilling test holes with several types of standard bits the plexi would crack as the bit punched thru the back side. Really minor/small cracks, but once vibrations from driving occur those cracks will grow.

Todd has used screws on the few that he has installed for customers. One installation key is to make each hole larger than screw diameter to allow for expansion and contraction of the plexi and screw. I'm still looking for a good screw, bolt, or rivet type fastener, because I'd like to countersink the holes slightly so the heads are flush with the canopy surface. Then I can cover about a one inch border of the canopy with some type of black tape or vinyl. I'm hoping to find a nylon/plastic screw or bold that will do the trick.

- Bob
Stevenp74

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,
I just removed my old canopy and drilled out the rivets so I already have holes in the canopy frame. I could use double sidded carpet tape to hold the canopy in place while I drilled the plexiglass and used screws for a
permanent fix.
I did get the canopy and windshield from Todd's. The canopy looks OK
but I will have to trim about 2inches all around. The windshield looks
very wrong to me! The part that goes next to the roll bar seems like it may work. The forward part is squared off and the whole front part of my old
windshield is rounded. If it is wrong I hate the idea of dealing with Todd.
It took him four months to ship the first time.
Did you get a windshield from him?
Thanks
Steve
steveg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

since i am on my second canopy, an with experience behind me doing this (working with plastics for a living) with a clean dry canopy that FITS

if the canopy fits good and snug around the entire frame (at least 90% )
swab the edge which sits agianst the frame with an alcohol pad DO NOT GET IT WET.. and do the frame edge also. this degreases it for adheasion.

NOTE this process take TWO people.. and patience.. and steady hands..
with a good chalk gun and one tube of NEW pure RTV silicone (clear or black) and a roll of masking tape. carefully tape off the frame edge where you do NOT want the silicone, inside and out, do not touch the edge, keep it clean..

also tape off the inside canopy 1/2-3/4 inch in all the way around.. and tape off the outside edge , tape at least 2 inches wide both inside and out..
now with the canopy sitting on a table mark off two spots just wide enough for your hands 18-24 inches apart (shoulder width) with tape (on the outside) mark this HANDS ONLY this is where you will pick up the canopy.. measure the same place on the framework, make sure these line up! now using the chalk gun and new tube of silicone RTV carefully cut the end, squirt some out on a piece of carboard to clear it.. then make a very steady bead of 3/16inch silicone around the frame skipping where you made marks for your hands, now before it skins (this is when you have to work fast. Lift the canopy on the hand only marks and lower it onto the frame EVENLY you may need to pull the canopy outward slightly
as not to touch the silicone .. this takes patience, and steady hands from both people.. and gently set the canopy onto the frame and let it squeeze in... pat gently all around the edge and make an even contact with the silicone.. if any squeezes out wipe with a DAMP cloth (a shreded t shirt well worn works best) and carefull not to drag the remainder over anything .. wipe both the inside (someone my have to go in) and outside
using one finger with one continious motion wipe around the outside edge
sealing the silicone removing the excess and pressing the excess into spots where it is skimpy. to even it out.. if you are satisfied with the seal..
LEAVE IT ALONE!.. let set for a day then remove carefully the tape from the frame pulling at a 90 degree away from the seal. then the canopy.
if there are spots where the silicone does not "make" the seal, tape the fram/canopy off agian and chalk agian...

now if you are septical of the adheasion after letting this sit for a day or so
simple screen door or screen clips can be attached to the frame with screws or rivots a couple in the front and sides and two more in back should do the trick. remember to space evenly..
any questions, or more advice email me directly..
stevengeorge@usadatanet.net
steve george litestar #009
otisco NY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: