PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alternator up grade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hybridguy

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Alternator up grade Reply with quote

When the Litestars or Pulses have the Honda Goldwing engine installed - Does everybody upgrade the alternator also? I know that there is a kit for this process? It is talked about in the GWRRA tech section all the time. Also who's aircondtioning system do people use?

Bob Very Happy
elden simons

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: topic reply filler Reply with quote

While we wait for other responses, upgrading the alternator when Goldwing engines are swapped, in place of the previous, lesser powered engines doesn't seem to be considered by majority. Just happy to have the engine upgraded.

The airconditioning unit wasn't identified as far as I remember. Several people thought it may be a J.C. Whitney after market installation during the 1980's.

In further commentary: If what I heard is true, tune up kits for the '84 Goldwing engine is getting scarce. If I can afford a replacement engine, I'd be happy to afford getting such installed. Getting an alternator upgrade would be secondary despite pluses for such (*Sigh*).
Tammy and Elden have Pulse #308 from 1988.Built in Butcher's Barn and presently sets inoperative in their garage. We are still keeping it!
hatfield

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stators on the 1200 (1984-1987) Gold Wing engine are far more prone to failure than the alternators on the 1100 engine. If you are getting a new engine, you would be better off, in my opinion as a Honda Dealer, to go with the 1100. The stator replacement is an expensive, engine out job on a two wheeled Gold Wing. It is a downright nightmare in a pulse.

I'm thinking this next winter I will become the first 1800 Gold Wing engine convert. 118 horsepower, fuel injection, electric reverse, ..... it has to be done!
elden simons

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: You're going to squeeze a what into a where? Reply with quote

Hatfield ! have you been wearing your helmet backwards again?

*Chuckle*

Do tell us... are you going to install a totaly new 'donor bike' frame to the autocycle?
Are you trying to get your service guys to quit on you?

Sheesh, sounds Great!
Hybridguy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete,
As a Honda dealer then you know about the "Poor boy" upgrade using a Geo Metro alternator on the wings with a stator. That is the conversion I was talking about. Since it seems like you have more room in the engine bay area on a Litestar/Pulse then you do on a wing, you would not mind how it looks. It would seem like since you were installing a 1200 engine in a Autocar it would make sense to have this upgrade

An 1800 engine in a Litestar. I guess I would have to more miles on my 1800 before I would have think about cutting it up.

You see I have a 1200 an a 1800.

I was thinking of using the 1200 for installation in a Litestar?Pulse that I was looking a fixing up.

Bob
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey... another Bob from Long Island... welcome to the club!

I consider Pete definitely one of our Wing experts and completely agree with the nightmare associated with having to replace engine components on an installed GL1200. Having said that, if you're pretty handy with a wrench, I've did look at "Poor Boy's" product back when I was looking into the effort associated with adding AC to Pulse #77 and it appears 1200 owners have had good results with his product.

The only part I cared much about was how he extended the end of the crank shaft to install the additional pulley. I was then thinking of going with a Vintage Air AC unit/system. They're the AC unit of choice in the Hot Rod industry and have a wide range of systems to fit older vehicles that weren't designed for AC in the first place.

Of course, you can always pull a unit off a salvaged vehicle and get similar results for alot less. I this case experience with automotive AC units would be a plus.

As far as installing an 1800 in a Pulse. I'm sure Pete has the inside track on insurance salvaged bikes. All you really care about is if the drive train has avoided damage. The front end and all the rest of the "pretty" stuff ends up on Ebay or the garbage. The 1800 is about 3 inches longer and a tad wider than the gl1100 and gl1200 in the engine area, so you'll have to move the installation up into the passenger area to avoid extensive body redesign.

- Bob
hatfield

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to do the car alternator on the 1200, then that's a different story becasuse, as you said, it is hidden. Not an attractive alteration. I just wouldn't go with a 1200 even with a new stock stator, they are just too prone too failure.

I am going to use a salvaged 1800 and I am not going to give up the passenger area, my wife would kill me. We will do body work where necessary. Don't know how much of the original frame we will use, not much as it is aluminum and hard to fabricate with. Probably just use the engine and rear drive train and modify the mounting area that is there now as needed.

Other than getting it in there, what an engine for the Pulse! In addition to the benefits already mentioned, I could run a car tire on the rear as well. Reverse activation is with a button. May also go with an electric shifter at that time. And a gear indicator. Like I said, it has to be done.

Eldon, ypu're right about theservice guys. They wince every time I point it towards the service bays. But, for some reason, they seem excited about this new engine project.
Hybridguy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a 1500 engine? Are they the same size as a 1800 or smaller?.

They do have reverse and you can upgrade the alterator with "Comp" unit. Fuel injected and there are a lot more of them on the market then 1100 an 1200's -

I would hate to cut into the passenger area.

A car tire on a wing - you know what a can of worns you would open up if you post that on the GWRRA site Laughing

Bob
hatfield

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the csar tire on a wing has been on the major boards for a while. They call it the Dark Side. I guess it works pretty well but it would be a piece of cake on the Pulse since it doesn't lean like the motorcycle.

The 1500's arre the same size as the 1800's but they are not fule injected. Also, the reverse is actuated by a hjand lever that would be more awkward to do than the 1800's electrically actuated reverse. I really want the fuel injection otherwise I would definately go 1500. They are smoother and quiter than the 18's. The 15's have hydraulic lifters as opposed to the 18's solids. And the 15 has a tining belt that is quiter than the 18's chain. But that fuel injection is gard to pass up. I will not cut into the passenger area.
Chuck Furgason

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1200 had air on it from factory and here in Michigan we didn't use it. I removed the system and installed a GM single wire alternator in place of the AC unit. This works good. As far as doing any work on the GW alternator the engine has to come out of the Pulse.
Chuck
PS Hope to see all of you in Marion this year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: