PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RE-Engine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AcftEngr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: RE-Engine Reply with quote

Trying to accomplish a re-engine. has anyone accomplished an inline 4? Perhaps the 600cc Ninja or Honda CBR 600? (I have heard about the Kaw 750cc). Does anyone know if one of these will fit with minimal modification?
Stevenp74

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:05 am    Post subject: new engine Reply with quote

I KNOW of several inline 4 installs.
I have just installed a zx6r in my pulse with min. problems. No
frame mods were needed.
AcftEngr

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info...I looked hard at the ZX6 but was worried about the width!

Since the post, I purchased a EX500 parallel twin bike. The bike is complete but all the plastic is trashed. I am in the EARLY (planning stages) process of installing the engine assembly into the pulse.
pulse220

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:05 am    Post subject: RE-Engine Reply with quote

I just picked up Pulse 220 from the painter a few hours ago after spending the last few weeks fiberglasssing and getting it ready. I now have a long "put back together" to try to get it to Marion later this summer. I just posted more pictures of my build on Flickr.com in case anyone is interested.

I mention this in the re-engine posts because I see that AcftEngr just bought an EX500. If you go to my pictures, you can see what I did with a mint 2004 Ninja 500R (pretty much identical to the EX500) that I bought that had 905 miles on. I removed most of the old powerplant framework and grafted in a new frame to mount the 500R into. I used pretty much the whole new bike after striping it of everything I did not need. The new powerplant can be removed with 7 bolts and I can run it (without a front wheel) while it is out of the Pulse. I did this because it can be very difficult, if not almost impossible, to do a major repair once the powerplant is wedged in. I had the powerplant in last Saturday and removed it for paint in about an hour. It may take a little longer when I have it totally together, but not too much (disconnect more wiring etc.).

Now comes the fun of re-installing the engine and grafting a new wiring harness to the Ninja harness, and putting it all back together. After seeing it in it's new color I just got a some more energy to work on it!!

Anyway, the pictures are here:
http://flickr.com/photos/14792223@N02/sets/

(You might have to copy and paste the link) There are pictures of it it in various stages as I am rebuilding it.
Chad
Pulse220
Hybridguy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad,
The photos are great !!

Since I am new to this Pulse design I found the pictures valuable.
I don't own one yet but these photos showed me a lot. You do some nice work.

I have a few questions.
Is it common to leave the donor bike's throttle and clutch lever like that it was on the bike itself.. it makes sense... but is it common.

I am assuming you use a linkage for the gear selection?

I don't understand why the center tube and many other metal components rust away like that. I know the autocycles were produced in the '80s and the '90s but why did the parts leave the factory without paint or at least some sort of protective coating?

Bob
Hybridguy
elden simons

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Was the Framework Painted? Reply with quote

Mine had black paint on it all. Yet, rust still took hold.
It is a mystery, but I must compare to the repeated painting of my truck's steel bumper. I've sanded, brushed the steel to bare metal and primered it. Painted it black and.... rust grows under it.

I don't know, maybe they didn't use Primer, or there was heat expansion of the steel which weakened the paint layer and moisture took hold?
pulse220

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:55 am    Post subject: RE-Engine Reply with quote

Bob,
I'm glad you liked the photos. Here some answers to your questions:

I don't think it is common to leave the donor bike's throttle and clutch lever similar to the way it was on the donor bike, however, while attempting to make the donor bike removable and able to be worked on i thought it was the best route to go. I had to think a little about how to tie the throttle and clutch to the Kawasaki set up and make new brackets, but I think it will work fine. Like i stated, I can (and have) run the donor 500R while out of the Pulse body. I think that will be VERY handy for repairs if needed. (I have a second gauge setup and ignition switch that I simply plug in and use when the donor is off the body. Turn the key, hit the start button and she comes to life.)

I am using a linkage for the gear selection similar to the original Pulse linkage, although with more support. I've run it up on stands and while supported by an engine hoist and it appears that it will shift fine. I won't know for sure until I road test it after mating up the body and the donor for the last time.

Although Pulse 220 sat outside, under a tarp, for about 10 years, I'm fortunate that the center tube and other metal components did not rust away. I had some rust on the frontend that I rebuilt, but not too bad and slight rust on the outriggers. Overall, the metal was extremely sound. Of course I have cleaned and painted all of the chassis to prevent future rust but I don't plan on driving it in the rain and it will also be garage kept.

Chad
Pulse 220
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: