PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

advice for truckers on how to secure pulse

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMD1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: advice for truckers on how to secure pulse Reply with quote

Going over archives all I can find is to use front wheel to tie down with. A professional car hauler will be picking up Pulse. What other advice or direction can they be given for securing properly? Later Dave the Wave
Bob Cervero

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may sound silly but make absolutely sure that your hauler knows that your Pulse has to be shipped on a flat floor. When I had #61 shipped from Oklahoma to Florida several auto shippers backed out when I told them that. A Pulse must be supported on the 2 center line wheels. It cannot be supported on the outriggers.

Also if your Pulse is shipped on an open trailer it should travel front wheel forward. Windshields have been known to pop out when fast moving air gets under the rear edge of the canopy. Also cover the priceless windshield with something to protect it from rocks and such.

No matter how it's shipped disconnect the battery. When #61 was shipped to me the battery was left connected. Well, during shipping the battery moved and grounded the positive terminal against the frame. That fried the battery and and the positive cable. It could have set the whole Pulse and trailer on fire. It was just luck that didn't happen.

Holding the Pulse down to the trailer by both wheels will be fine. Don't allow any straps acoss the body, canopy or especially widshield area.

Good luck and expect to work on your Pulse when it arrives. That's normal.
Leroy Cook

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:26 am    Post subject: Transporting Reply with quote

I had a Pulse shipped from Floridia to Ohio and when it arrived it had a bad battery, a charging system that did not work and a speedometer that did not function. Question
The good part is there was not a scratch on the vehicle. The air shocks I believe were deflated but I was not home to help unload it. It is setting in the barn waiting on parts. My pulse has a 400CC engine and my plans are to replace the stator and drive it until cold weather. Then I will install a Honda 1200CC. The honda parts are everywhere. And it is dependable. And WATER cooled.
DMD1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Hmmmmm Reply with quote

Leroy I do not understand how Your reply helps with shipping. Problem with old vehicles is that they are old and many times not so good when new. I feel Your pain of not getting what You had hoped for. Stories,bad ones, yes I have them!! You need to enjoy what You have, forgive and move on. Stuff goes bad with no reason, even when it costs a lot. I am buying a Pulse that ran but ........... no longer runs.........So I am getting (hopefully) a complete project. I also hope I can get it running with minor parts. But I am also ready to "f'ing go wild with major resto mods. I hope not. But... I will gladly trade Your charging problem for My Citicar or Freeway!! Later Dave the Wave
elden simons

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:58 am    Post subject: Old News... Reply with quote

You have been following this Forum for some time now, but don't forget that the bike could be left in gear when parked. Such is the suggestion by OMCC when we got #308. These vehicles don't have parking brakes.

Recently, one of our Forum/Club members warned not to use the reverse motor as a parking/shipping brake. It broke the reverse cog from the motor shaft.

Rubber wheel chocks for the front and back wheel is always a good idea.

The heck of it all is... To remember to undo all that was done before trying to roll it out of or off of the trailer.

Oh, hey! Just in case you are rolling it off onto sand or grass. The steering can take only so much stress on such resistance. Concrete or asphalt is much better. For you see, I had mine flatbedded from one location to another and I had only sand to try to straighten it into the newly built garage. "Skrunch!" The steering rod under the dash bent and snapped from the torque resistance after so many attempts to manuever by hand (no power).
----------------------------------

In other comments, Our new member Leroy will become another good asset for this Club. He has some great technical background from what I understand. He has to prove to others around him, besides himself that he has a vehicle that can only become what he originally saw it as.
I got the jist that he has had previous projects and that it has been difficult to fully persue such due to job and other needs.

Elden
ashok rai

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: RE TRANSPORTATION : UNLOADING OFF A CONTAINER AT HOME Reply with quote

When Pulse 25 was shipped in a container [ and barged upto ANC ] the flat bed tow truck used to unload at home would not reach the container height Exclamation The tow truck itself had to be jacked up on woodblocks Rolling Eyes to reach the container floor.
You need to unload at a commercial ramp that has a solid center and that is hard to find at auto trucker warehouses.
Lastly watch the angle of descent or you will have scrape the nose/tail Crying or Very sad . Plan to be there when they unload.
Good Luck
Falcon Wing

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is how #199 was sent to its new owner.
Flat bed was used, ATV ramp for front and rear tires....and FLAT WOOD PIECES for the out riggers ramp...which was a BAD idea. The wood ramp were shorter than the ATV ramp so I had a second or two where the pulse was only supported by the front and rear wheel. I felt like I was in launch mode.
As you can see by his trailer, I laid a good spot of rubber getting up there.
It would have been loads easier if he had 3 ATV ramps....in fact there would not have been a problem at all.

Other than the ramp situation, it fit well on the trailer and strapped down nicely.

www.picturetrail.com/falconwing2 (seat bracket build)
elden simons

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Thomas, here's another one to read Reply with quote

I've updated this page so it can be brought forward for reading by new member Thomas.
I also wrote to a member, Leroy Cook, to perhaps provide some more sage advice. He's been off somewhere and I'm wondering if he's any news for us.

Elden
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: