PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Pulse with a new heart beat.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMD1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:25 am    Post subject: new (er) power plant planned Reply with quote

the V65 1100 runs out pretty good, but not great. I counted up the issues it has and decided to look for a better engine. Please do not tell the Sabre 1100 guys about this!!! I found a 14k mile mint condition 1985 1100 Sabre with new tires, carbs just overhauled. For just a bit more than my expected repairs would be. Chuck Furgeson has similar story too. Of course a buddy of mine goes "Your gonna butcher up such a nice bike!?." No I am not "butchering" I am restoring an ultra rare Pulse using a bike they made a zillion of!!!! .Even running a bit rough the 1100 roars, I can only imagine what the new power plant will be like. Pulsing with excitement again. Later 240
hatfield

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

If you're going to abandon the V65, I vote you do a Gold Wing 1800 so you can show me how to do it.
DMD1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You donate the 1800 bike and I will gladly do it. Comparing bike to current frame engine combo I currently have. The change will be a complete engineering redo. So at this point I am going not to do anything engine wise unless the current one dies. Now its time for creature comforts and paint.

Last edited by DMD1 on Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
DMD1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: 240 first real test or a Pulse odyssey Reply with quote

Goal was to get to Oregon Illinois for car show. Day started with cold rain. Finally at noon decided light rain wont hurt. First stop a bar 25 miles away. Owner was happy to see Pulse and lunch was free. I was tail gated by dump trucks, waved down by Jaguars. It was great fun. Made it to car show. Like moths to a light the rain soaked participants surround the Pulse. I have practice with answering same question a hundred times. Stopped at Roadhouse for some libation. Decided it was going so well to go further. Stopped at a biker bar in Byron. I was one of the few that was dry. I head back out as a couple of bikers are getting gear on I smile as a down pour comes out of the sky. I close canopy and wave good bye. Stopped at a gas station. Looks like I only get 25 miles per gallon. I head back and thermostat sticks and I overheat. Only one guy out of hundreds tried to help. Thermostat "fixed" itself and next stop was a little bistro. Called Margie and said Ill be home real soon. Few minutes later I am along side road. Clogged fuel filter. Turned it upside down and continued on. Called Margie and said get ready we are going to "Petes" . All is well we have a couple of todys and decide to go to another town. That worked so well we went to yet another town. I started giving rides to all sorts of people. Its great to make people smile. About 11pm it was time to head home. The full moon was glowing nicely. Dumb ass me decides to take long way home. Pulse rums out of gas on ultra rural back road. Margie says it would be quicker if I cut through corn field. After a few hundred yards running through beans and weeds my wet feet started getting heavy. My mind kept on thinking I can not leave Margie alone, I must keep going. After third mile my lungs were on fire. I was still a mile from home. I prayed and just like a movie the clouds moved and the bright moon shinned brightly on the road. I arrived home grabbed a can of gas and drove to Pulse. Drove it home. Wow what an ending to an incredible 125 mile day. Later 240 Dave
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, your stories crack me up.... are you making these up? LOL

My life is too boring... of course, if I road my Pulse 125 miles I'd probably have a host of stories to tell too.

Hey... what's this 25 miles to the gallon? The Pulse sales brochures say 70 to
100 mpg!?

- Bob
elden simons

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Ya, right. Have I got a deal for You Reply with quote

Truth in advertising can be something needing a translation dictionary for what was really meant.
I know Bob H. already knows all this.

I also remember something about the autocycle being affordable too. I apparantly made it under the 'wire' when we got *308. The price sort of went up ever increasingly for these vehicles after ours.

I did put up a fuss on the day of pickup in 1988 when we were informed that the cost was higher than originally quoted on paper. I believe we did good in the long run. *sputter*
hatfield

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My round trip mileage to the Pulse rally was 880 miles. I got 57 miles per gallon overall.
DMD1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stories, no I have more true to life stories than I care to admit. I do not know history of this. But told it was the V65 Magnum 1983. It is night and day different in performance from My 1984 V65 Sabre. The Magna does not like low rpms. It is hard to keep it under 65mph in overdrive. So this thing might have some mods done to it. Clutch is slipping some and one cylinder seems to cause issues at times. But DAMN it is so much more fun to ride than Yamaha 400. It easily hits 84 mph (My personal limit) with plenty of pedal left. Next goal is at metal meet (metalmeet.com) to build a larger gas tank. Maybe this Winter try to fix miss fire issue and clutch. Later Dave
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete, that high 50's number is kind of what I'm getting on the highway with Pulse #77 and the GL1100.

800 mile ride... nice work! I guess I'll have to venture out a bit more. Hey, Pete... on Dave's experience with the Sabre and Magna... weren't they pretty much the same engine? I think the early Interceptors used it too.

Dave, you're going to a MetalMeet? I never heard of them until about a year ago. Sounds like a great event. Have fun and gets some pix of any interesting projects. That's another event for my "things to do" list, along side making it to a Pulse Rally.

- Bob
DMD1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:20 am    Post subject: Learn Learn Learn Reply with quote

The 1100 Magna and Sabre share the same engine. As a bike they were rated at about 37mpg. After running and riding "new" bike it started coming back to life. The vacuum fuel switch was not opening properly. It now has lots of power. But now I realize how sweet this old bike is and do not want to cut up. I never did finish paint so next week she is heading in for some finishing. .Later Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: