PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions from Bob - #77

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Questions from Bob - #77 Reply with quote

Ok, I continued my rebuilding of #77 this weekend (80 vette project on hold for another week) and have a new set of questions for the Pulse collective.

1. If you have a Pulse with the vertical stabilizer, what's the preferred method for completely removing the sliding canopy?

2. What type of adhesive is used to glue down the sliding canopy plexiglass and what's the most effective way of removing the old plexi without doing any damage to the fiberglass frame?

3. I removed the outriggers and found the outrigger attachment point/supports coming from the main body baddly rusted (I'll attach pictures, if possible). Inorder to remove these pieces, which I believe are bolted to the main interior frame and to the forward and aft supports by a approx 3 ft piece of steel, do I have to remove or partially slide out the main frame?(after digging away all the foam!!!)

4. How do you remove the steering assembly? Does the dash and instrument panel have to be removed, so you can get at the attachment points, so the assembly can be dropped thru the wheel well?

5. Here's a design wish question. If you were going to redesign the nose fiberglass so it can be easily removed, to allow access to the wheel and steering assembly, where would people suggest making the attachment line. (I'll try to attach a side view of a Pulse with potential cut lines)

Thanks, in advance for answers and suggestions.

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Bob, to remove the outrigger inner supports you must unbolt the 2 flanges under the rear seat and the 2 up front by your feet inside the body. Then you will have to dig out all the foam. No the main central frame doesn't have to come out at that time. I don't think I would do that though. I would just inspect the welds on the ends of those flanges. The piece that goes through the outrigger inner is just a 4"x 2" rectangular tube. I am guessing on the actual size from memory. They can be rewelded in place if needed. That's how I repaired the one on Pulse #61 that broke.
As far as removing the front end. The windshield and dash cover need to be taken off. If you go to Don Muddiman's page, there are pics of Pulse #61 with the whole front end exposed from the top. Check them out.
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

On mine, it appears that the cross backets that the seats are mounted to line up directly with and are bolted to these outrigger supports. Because the two supports on each side are connected via a long piece of steel, the unit as a whole can only be removed from the inside of the cockpit. Inorder to do this the mounting cross members must be moved or removed, so there is enough room to pull the outrigger supports out.

I've got a couple of pictures of the rusted outrigger supports.

http://community.webshots.com/album/148097077SMkaUz

As you can see they are baddly damaged and it would be very difficult to cut them back to good steel and then get a decent weld inside the fiberglass.

I'll post some pictures of the supports from the inside, so things may be more understandable.
Robert Cervero

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a look at your pics. Ouch! They are RUSTY! If you unbolt them from the inner frame you may be able to slide the assembly forward or back to clear the inner attachment points after removing the foam, and then lift them upwards.
Or you could cut the metal straps connecting the front outrigger support to the rear support and remove everything in pieces. Then make new supports, insert them and then weld new metal support straps in place.
Removing the inner main chassis would require a complete disassembly of your Pulse. Ouch again. Good luck!
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, Bob....

Yeah, I'm also thinking of removing the seats and removing the two pieces that are welded to the main frame and then bolted to these outrigger supports. Once the outrigger supports are out and rebuilt and installed, I can easily weld those two cross beams back in. Which is OK, since I was thinking of doing a little redesign on the seat attachment anyway.

Hey, have you or Don ever had to replace the windshield or canopy?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: