PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windshields and Canopies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Bauer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:10 pm    Post subject: Windshields and Canopies Reply with quote

Two years ago, we arranged to have new canopies and windshields produced by Todd's Canopies in Florida. Some of the original products had a few problems with fit. As I understand, the later ones fit a lot better. Todd still makes canopies for us upon demand.

I invite anyone who purchased a canopy or windshield from Todd to comment on their installation. Please include how the item fit, the work needed to install it and any tips for installation. Please include when you purchased the part.

I am also taking another step. If anyone can find a glass manufacturer who may be willing to remanufacture GLASS windshields, I am willing to donate my glass windshield as a sample so more can be produced.

Any comments?
-Dave Bauer
Pulse 167
Chuck Furgason

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be a lot of intrest in the glass windshield I know that I prefer the glass one if its available. On the old bulletin board somebody found a glass source to make new windshields it was expensive, but doable. I can not remember who it was. I also have my old windshield that was cracked but is still in one piece and could be used for a mold.
Can anyone remember who came up with the source?
I think there is enough members that would buy one to go ahead with this venture.
Chuck
Stevenp74

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:13 pm    Post subject: windshields and canopies Reply with quote

I also would like to get a new windshield to replace my plastic one. Hope
someone can find a manufacture. I will do some of my own research as well
Steve shafer #74
Steve195

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: Windshields Reply with quote

I contacted this company several months ago, I belive they said they would do it, however the tooling would cost about $5,000.00 I think, plus windshields. They have recently emailed fo an update on my interest in this venture. I posted info on the last message board but didn't get any interest at that time. The glass would be laminated safety glass as original. Hope this helps!
Marlene Musso
Bent Glass Design, Inc.
3535 Davisville Road
Hatboro, PA 19040
(215) 441-9101 Phone * * (215) 441-9190 Fax
marlene.bentglass@nni.com
Chuck Furgason

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve 195
I did not copy down the address when you posted it before. I have a windshield that could be used as a pattern also.
If you don't mind I will pursue this and contact the company. I think there is enough intrest to proceed with this venture. I would invest in the tooling but I would like to get a porition back on each windshield sold, so I guess I would become the dealier if this went through.
I will contact the company and get some costs for a windshield and then I will post it to find out how many people are intrested.
Chuck Very Happy
Chuck Furgason

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:46 am    Post subject: New windshields GLASS Reply with quote

HI guys
I have received priceing for glass windshields from Bent Glass Design.
If we can get enough orders to purchase ten windshields at one time the cost would be $1,140 plus shipping. This cost would be good only if the tooling they quoted is OK to produce the windshield. They will require a current windshield to take dim. from to finalize tooling price. The cost could go higher if tooling is more.
I know a few of you have expressed intrest in a new windshield. Are you willing at this cost? Let me know.
Chuck chucknlinda@acd.net Question
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting to the point where I'm removing the old canopy and windshield off the Pulse I'm working on, it appears they are in both good condition, but the canopy does have very small "stress lines" all thru it. I'd like to get a new set, before if finish the molds for the new body, so they can be used as templates and to insure a good fit to the final body casting.

So, what's everyone's opinions of some of these aftermarket units that owners have purchased? Has there been any follow up on some of these previous posts?
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked with Todd at "Todd's Canopy's" in south Florida yesterday. He will build and crate both the canopy and windshield for $500. Shipping to your location is extra. If you would like either one, the price is $300. He said give him about 1 - 2 weeks from order to receiving product. He said he's also installed a few sets of them so he has some experience with the Pulse and is more than happy to walk anyone thru the procedure. His canopy's are aircraft styled acrylic/plexi, not glass. They are made to hold up to the UV rays of FLorida and stress of aircraft use. He can either create them in a clear or smoked look and they are made purposely over sized, so they can be cut to fit on site..

He said he's made some 20 or so sets for Pulse owners. OK all.... who's got them and what do you think?
lite9dave

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one of the earliest units from Todd. There may have been some changes in later units. Here was my experience.

The shape was not quite right. I was certainly able to make it fit, but it took a bit of effort due to some differences in the shape. I had to add some steel reinforcement to the canopy frame to get the canopy to fit the body shape. The revised shape wanted to be more circular rather than the ovoid or more U shaped cross section of the original canopy.

The thinner material of Todd's canopy compared to the very thick material used in the original canopy made for a somewhat more flexible canopy. This creeated problems for my slide rail based canopy. Since all the force was applied to one side the canopy would flex and bind. I wound up changing the handle to the top so the canopy wouldn't bind. I don't think this would be so much of a problem for those with runners rather than just tubes over rails.

The quality of the canopy was outstanding. I think every problem I had was due to an attempt to make a slightly incorrect shape work for the pulse. I think that may have been corrected for later canopies. The canopy was beautifully crafted and of a much higher optical quality than the original.

I would order from Todd again, but I would want to make sure that he had gotten the shape right rather than using the shape of a similar aircraft canopy.

-Dave-
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Thanks for the info on your experience with Todd's canopys. I'll ask him about the issues you raised, before ordering a set.
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted a few pictures of my new canopies from Todd's Canopies on my Webshots account.

http://community.webshots.com/album/148097077SMkaUz

I'll let everyone know how the "trimming" and installation goes in a few weeks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: