PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vertical & Horizontal Wings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amphigator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:10 am    Post subject: Vertical & Horizontal Wings Reply with quote

Group,

I am looking to fabricate and mount horizontal & vertical wings on my pulse project and need some pointers on sizes, material, assembly ect.

I was at the pulse meet in September and have photo's of the style I am interested in that were on several different pulses

Not sure how to post photo's on this forum but I can respond to emails at amphigator@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Ron
elden simons

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: EGADS! Reply with quote

This subject came up once before and I don't believe anyone took it on for assistance.
Ya, you'd definately want something that would withstand highway vibrations and sidewinds.

Many people had their vehicle tails installed by one or another custom fiberglass shop somewheres.

There's always that risk of cracking that rear shell assembly if done wrong (I know that you already have figured all this).
Hopefully someone will post and answer!!
dman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: tail sections Reply with quote

A great way to start your tail section is to use some foam. Mock up the way you want your tail to look. The company I use is scenterprisesfiberglass.com and they make all my fiberglass pieces. They also will sell you any supplies for the do it yourself guys. They also could help giving you some direction on how to make your wings so they are stable and how to mount them so your craft does not have any lift.

Good luck with your Wings!!!

Doug Minert
Jim Finch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I constructed my wings for Pulse 274. I have experience with building RC airplanes wings. You use pink foam from HD. Cut it with a hot wire and cover it it with fiberglass cloth.
You can also go to your local hobby store that sell RC airplanes and ask who in your area makes foam wings for model airplanes.
There is also sites on line that will cut foam wings to your dimension.
There also is a body shop man in Marion Indiana that will do it. You send him your tail section and he will do the whole thing for $2500.
You also need to insert metal threaded rods in the center of the foam to bolt it to your body. You can finish it by body filler to make the transition to the body sides. I also have seen a rubber spacer used between the body and wing. Does not look that good.
Jim Finch
amphigator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the good advice on the Tail Wings. I am going to fabricate some patterns this weekend from practice foam to see what size and style I like.
Then I will decide on something and proceed from there, I am going to do the work myself. This project will be a replica of a WW2 P-40 Flying Tigers with Camo Paint, Propeller and Sharks Teeth Decals ect.
dman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: wings Reply with quote

If your going to mount wings to your tail section, I would NOT recommend you fiberglass them to the rear tail section if they are large. Long term they will flex and crack your tail and or wings ( paint /fiberglass) and not hold up . If your mounting them to your rear tail long term unless its just a trailer Queen Pulse.

I have in the past attached wings not using fiberglass to attach them to the tail. I used a 2 bolt mount with each wing. Had a metal plate on the backside of the tail for reinforcement. The gap on the outside of the tail ( where the wing attached to the tail) I used a aircraft type of calk that was paintable.

If your running a rod of some kind to attach your wings into your fabricated wings, make sure you use something to keep them from twisting in your foam.

If your going to put a good size wing on the back of your pulse and go down the road and bounce in and out of bumps, pot holes, you had better make sure your wings can take the bounce as well as the forces of the wind pushing against them.

$2500 is a lot of green for wings on a tail section...

For less than HALF of that Price the shop I use can fit you a set of wings on your tail. Like the factory original or like a F-16 or something similar.

Of course there are many great ideas out there, and many ways to skin a cat so to speak, just a few more things to consider when making your wings.

you never will know what will show up next at the rally...

good luck on your project

show us some pictures

Doug
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: