PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shimmy around 25-30

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lite9dave

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Shimmy around 25-30 Reply with quote

Now that I finally have my vehicle licensed and am starting to commute using it I sometimes, but not always seem to encounter a lot of oscillation around 25-30 mph. Feels like the front wheel is wobbling back and forth. I had a mechanic redo the steering system and all the connections seem snug but occasionally this wobbling occurs and it has me a little concerned. Anyone else encounter this kind of thing?
dman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: shimmee Reply with quote

Dave, Have you checked your front axel/bearings. when was the last time you tore apart the front axel and greased/check out the hub. I would start there.

Doug
Bob Cervero

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:42 am    Post subject: Tire? Reply with quote

How's your front tire? Old and worn? What about tire pressure? Do you have play in your steering box?

How are your outriggers set? If they are too low you can be bouncing from one outrigger to the other. When you are sitting in your Pulse and leaning on one outrigger, the other outrigger should be about 2 inches off the ground.

Just some things to check.
lite9dave

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Shimmy around 25-30 Reply with quote

Both good ideas.

The shimmy was there and then I swapped out the shocks and it seemed to go away (though since it is occasional I'm not sure. I have been fiddling with the outrigger rise after the shock adjustment and currently it's set more like 1" and I am not sure but this may be correlated to the onset of the shimmy - certainly easy to adjust the wings and check out.

Althoough the rest of the steering system is pretty tight and has had a good once over and seems pretty snug the bearings have not been checked or changed and might indeed be a bit loose. Again easy enough to take care of.

Thanks guys! I'll let you know how it goes now that I'm regularly driving.
lite9dave

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Bearings were worn Reply with quote

I passed the recommendations on to my mechanic and asked him to check the axle and bearings. He indicated that the bearings were indeed worn enough that this might be responsible for the shake. He needed to special order the bearings and expects to receive new ones early next week. So I stilll don't know for sure if this was the issue, but it seems like it could have been the culprit and it was a good idea to replace both front and rear bearings regardless. Will also try some alternate inflation pressures on the front and rear tires. They are fairly new so I don't think the wear on the tires is likely to be the issue, but inflation pressure might influence things.
lite9dave

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got my vehicle back from the mechanic. He reported the front race/bearings were very worn and the back ones were worn and improperly sized.

He replaced both. Shimmy is gone at any speed. You called it.

Thanks!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: