PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

steering wheel problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: steering wheel problems Reply with quote

I seem to be on here alot but I do need the autocycle club help. Last night I took my pulse out for the first test drive this year after I did all my maintanence on the vehicle, and my steering wheel started shaking back and forth so I slowed down and it went away. I started driving again everything seemed fine but when I moved the steering wheel to one side it started shaking once again. What do I need to do to fix this? Thanks for your help. David
elden simons

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 7:48 am    Post subject: Hmmmm...doom and darkness Reply with quote

Ah, it sounds like something either mechanical or...."shudder!"
I think if it be mechanical, then Don Muddleman
(or is it Muddiman...*sorry*) mentioned of fixing bad steering-play on his web site.

If it be not mechanical,you made need a Priest. Are there unintelligible voice(s) coming from your radio's speakers or from the vehicle's back seat? Any strange odors (other than from your shoes)?
Robert Cervero

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, check the front wheel for any looseness by pulling it side to side directly on the tire. Any slop in the steering system is a problem. If there is slop, then isolate the source, and fix it.
There is another possibility. If your Pulse sat all Winter without moving then you may have a temporary flat spot where the tire was sitting on the ground. Warmer weather and driving will fix that. You can jack the front wheel off the ground and spin it by hand to check for flat spots, bulges indicating a tire failure or other problems. Good Luck! Bob Cervero
elden simons

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Here's a problem mine had Reply with quote

Although it wasn't slop in the steering (and it wasn't the operator either), mine would slam into bumps insted of being cushioned!
I was told over and over about shock adjustment for the front steering. I had it right. I even over adjusted the air with the compressor just in hopes of getting less "jolts".
The underside of the nose area began cracking under the battery location. I repaired it rather unprofessionally, but I dreaded patches and repair bumps on the highways. I can recall that when I first drove the Pulse from OMCC Plant 2 the ride was horrible ...slam, slam, slam! Despite being a secondary road, it shouldn't have been torture!
So, what did I find out? The front shocks had water in them!
I didn't learn this until two years later. I didn't know what to replace them with...so I wrote to the Butchers and Ed sold me a used pair of adjustable shocks that belonged to another Pulse. I have not driven the Pulse since installing such. Oh, and the front tire wasn't balanced well, but such may be when I repainted the wheel to cover the rust spots.
Anyways...I'd hate to think that the on-board compressor had created the large amount of water in the shocks. It drove that way since day one. Yet, I would think that during installation of the shocks, the water would have been noticed.
When I pulled the pump lines and inverted the shocks to inspect them...glug, glug, glug!
Tammy and Elden have Pulse #308 from 1988.Built in Butcher's Barn and presently sets inoperative in their garage. We are still keeping it!
dynoman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:57 am    Post subject: Eldon Reply with quote

Good post, Idea never EVER did I think of the possibilty of water in the air shocks, logical and possible. Many thanks. Idea
Chuck Knight
Steve 195

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Steering wheel wobble Reply with quote

I also occasionaly get the wooble in the steering wheel, adjusting the front shocks to the right height makes some difference, I set mine with the axle nut even with the bottom of the pulse wheel housing. Also tire pressure made a difference. try going from slightly above normal pressure and reduce it a little at a time to below normal at about 25 psi. I beleive I am above the recommended pressure at about 38 psi this seems to work for me. As for the ride, the front also rides like a rock, the problem is these airshocks are designed to dampen a lot more weight than is on them. They are also designed to be assisted by springs and not supposed to carry the entire load with air pressure. Perhaps a coil over spring to carry most of the weight on the shock and a reduced air "for height adjustment only" pressure may improve their dampening ability.
Hope this helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: