PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Pulse and Speed Bumps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:01 am    Post subject: The Pulse and Speed Bumps Reply with quote

As I begin to prepare myself to get my first Pulse on the road, in the next coming weeks, I've been visualizing the drive to and from work (I know that's obsessive), but I noticed in the parking lot at work there is a series of speed bumps, which I occasionally scrape with the sidepipes on my vette.

So.... what happens when a Pulse goes over a speed bump? I can see the fron wheel clearing OK, but what happens when you get to the outrigger wheels? Do they end up supporting the weight of the entire Pulse? Does the rear wheel leave the ground as the vehicle is supported momentarily by the front wheel and outriggers?
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm going to assume that no one has attempted traversing a speed bump before and that it probably fits into that "don't try this at home" category!
elden simons

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:19 am    Post subject: Road-Kill as speed bumps Reply with quote

Well, I can't say much for them asphalt or concrete thingys, but a good healthy raccoon can lift the vehicle's nose up a good measure.

Anyways, I too was hoping that some seasoned operator/pilot would have an answer too.

So, here is an uneducated suggestion since I am not the one affording any repairs.

When making your approach to the speed bump, first observe the following: How much width is there to the lane you are using and is there a lane with opposing traffic?

Next: Choose a diagonal approach that takes the above into consideration.

Theory: After the front wheel clears the bump, the closest outrigger wheel will next make its
roll over the bump.
Of course the body will lean opposite of the leading outrigger and also the leading outrigger will flex a bit.
The following outrigger to make the roll over the bump may be more immediate than I can imagine right now, but I can only hope that it will happen at the time when the first outrigger wheel has gone over the crest of the bump.

Be prepared for the expected tussel of side-to-side action.
Once you are aware that the second outrigger made the bump, then try to quickly straighten your path as best as possible.

Now, has anyone taken one of these vehicles down a two track forest nature road?
You know...two tire tracks and a slightly raised grassy middle?

I hope you encounter perfect conditions so to accomplish this.
Tammy and Elden have Pulse #308 from 1988.Built in Butcher's Barn and presently sets inoperative in their garage. We are still keeping it!
Robert Cervero

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed bumps? Actually they are no problem for a Pulse. It's better to take them somewhat diagonally if possible but if not don't worry about it. There is enough flex or suspension in the outriggers to handle them. No, the rear wheel will not come off the ground. The outriggers flex up while the rear wheel drops down because of the decreased loading on them. No problem.
A bigger thrill comes when you exit a downward sloping driveway onto a level road. Then the Pulse front and rear wheels bridge the drop off and the outriggers end up a foot off the ground. Then the Pulse leans over onto one outrigger. The first time is a real thrill! It feels at first like it might roll over but don't worry about it. It takes a lot to roll a Pulse unless you are totally stupid or an outrigger fails.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: