PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engine REPLACEMENT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FCKatona

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:58 am    Post subject: Engine REPLACEMENT Reply with quote

[size=12][b]Is it possible to change (convert) from a 400cc Yamaha engine to an 1100 cc Honda enging without to much trouble?[size=7][/size][/size][/b]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe my Pulse was a retrofit by a previous owner. Looking at the way it was appended to the main frame, I doubt it came like that from the factory. I'll be chopping up a GL100 over the next 4 weeks to integrate into one of my new frames, so I'll make sure I take pictures and make good notes.
The original Yamaha engines were mounted in the custom Pulse frame using no parts of any Yamaha motorcycle frame. Most engine retrofits, as with mine, have been removing the lower Pulse engine framing and basically welding the donor bike into the remaining Pulse framing. The linkage, cabling, and wire harness have to be extended and re-attached up front. Where you cut your Goldwing frame depends on what type of interface you design to attach the donor bike to the Pulse. Making sure the ride height and wheel base length are maintain should be considered critical, inorder to maintain ourigger wheel height and rear wheel clearance with the body. Not sure which body style you have, but you might have to make some alterations on the body to account for the wider GL1100 frame.

Oh, don't forget the mounting position for the liquid cooled GL1100 radiator. Most Pulse owners have them mounted sticking out of the right rear. So, brackets and body enhancements should be anticipated here too.

I'm sure others (that may have actually done this) will add their comments.

Bob Hichborn
Pulse #77
Dave Bauer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:18 am    Post subject: factory goldwing install??? Reply with quote

check out the pictures I posted of one FACTORY goldwing installation on the MSN site. http://groups.msn.com/AutocycleLiteStarPulse/factorygoldwinginstallation.msnw

You'll see that the original installation is pretty crude and sounds like what you are describing. I'd cut it all out and do it right.

I installed a GL1000 engine in mine and have plenty of pictures and lessons learned. Drop me an email. I'd be happy to help.
-Dave Bauer
Dave Bauer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:18 am    Post subject: factory goldwing install??? Reply with quote

check out the pictures I posted of one FACTORY goldwing installation on the MSN site. http://groups.msn.com/AutocycleLiteStarPulse/factorygoldwinginstallation.msnw

You'll see that the original installation is pretty crude and sounds like what you are describing. I'd cut it all out and do it right.

I installed a GL1000 engine in mine and have plenty of pictures and lessons learned. Drop me an email. I'd be happy to help.
-Dave Bauer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: