PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

trying to find fiberglass fasteners

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leo Doyle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:59 pm    Post subject: trying to find fiberglass fasteners Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me where to find the anchors used to fasten the fiberglass pieces together? These are the ones used on the main body fiberglass frame and the tail fiberglass pieces that are like moley(sp?) bolts and act like a bolt. You drill a hole, insert the anchor, tighten a bolt into it, it deforms to form a permanent fastener. I have checked with 10 hardware stores and fastener specialty stores here in Indpls with no luck.

The problem is trying to find 10-32 thread smooth head (not the wood type with prongs) and with short neck clearance (1/8"?) before the compression/exspansion section.

The people that owned my litestars before me used both wood screws and sheetrock anchors to fasten the pieces together. The wood screws destroyed the threads and I re-tapped the ones I could so a bolt could be used again. The sheetrock anchors ate away the fiberglass and left larger holes in the fiberglass. I would like to replace these and do it the right way.

I know there are other ways to fasten these fiberglass pieces together and have used well nuts to some sucess but would like to put it back to original.

Thanks for any help,
Leo Doyle
doyle (at) indy.net
Bob Cervero

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo, I had the same problem on#61. I went to Ace Hardware and bought some 10/32 blind nut inserts. These have a 10/32 internal thread with a 1/2 wide flange. These are made to put on the back side of a wood piece and have sharp prongs to sink into the wood. Grind these prongs off to use them on fiberglass. I inserted these from the back side of the fiberglass and then bonded them in place with something called "JB Weld" also available at Ace Hardware. This seemed to work well for me.
Ace also has the correct 10/32 stainless flathead screws. Often the holes in the Pulse body have been hogged out by the screw heads. You can use the "JB Weld" to fill the damaged holes and then re-drill them. Then get some touch up paint because the "JB Weld" is black.
Others have used something called a "Dzus" fastener. This is an aircraft type fastener with a quick turn screw fastener. I'm not familiar with these fasteners, but I've heard they work well. They would replace the stock Pulse fasteners completely.
dynoman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:53 pm    Post subject: fiberglass fastners Reply with quote

I and a couple of others are using floating nutplates from CLICKBOND.
They are used in the aero industry and are absolutely the slickest thing going. Expense, but a well restored Pulse these days is going for good dollars. The fastners in our vehicles are one of the weak points, so this is your chance to up grade to the best.
http://www.clickbond.com
Phone them and they will send you samples and a catalouge.
Chuck Knight Pulse 262
Dave Bauer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:05 pm    Post subject: Click bond fastners Reply with quote

Click bond floating nut plates is the ONLY way to go. Better, faster, no corrosion. See the articles and photos I posted on this issue on our companion MSN Groups website under 'tech items'> 'replacing corroded fasteners' http://groups.msn.com/AutocycleLiteStarPulse/litestarpulse.msnw?action=get_message&mview=0&ID_Message=57&LastModified=4675347597339106427
Leo Doyle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:42 pm    Post subject: fiberglass fasteners Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the help and sugestions. I believe I have found the EXACT replacement for the original Litestar anchors. They are called Rivnut PN-Plusnut(tm). Their website address is www.bollhoff-rivnut.com The part number is S10P175. These are made to be used on materials like fiberglass. The tool used to afix these anchors is a bit on the pricey side (about $100).

Here's what I did:

Drill out the old damaged fastener, put the new one in place and use the tool to permanently install them.

There were some places where the fiberglass was damaged to the point that screw heads would go right thru the material. First I prepped the Pulse's fiberglass around the holes to be repaired by removing loose material, sanding the front and back, and cleaning up the dust created. I chopped up some fiberglass sheet material into small pieces. I then mixed up the resin and hardener, then mixed in the chopped up sheets to form a workable paste. I then filled in the larger holes to be repaired with this mixture. I used clear packing tape to keep the material in place and keep it from flowing down the side. When dry I sanded the material to match the rest of the Pulse's surface. I then drilled new holes into this to fix the damaged areas. Where I put in the screws into the materials, I countersank the holes after drilling to better accomodate the bolts.

I just finished my one Pulse and went for a test drive. The repairs held great - the Pulse is also a lot quieter now!

Thanks again,
Leo Doyle
Dave Bauer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 1:45 am    Post subject: original fasteners Reply with quote

Leo,
Great job on finding and installing the new fasteners. The original riv-nuts are steel and the screws were chrome plated steel which caused the screws to rust into place. Thus, your original problem could occur again if you don't take measures to prevent it. You might want to use stainless steel screws with the new install.
-Dave 167

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave

I just received my Click Bond "demo" kit and am looking thru the thousands of products they offer. Which fasteners did you purchase for your Pulse? Do you remember the part reference number? I'm looking at their reverse standoff fasteners. Flange glues to the inside panel and standoff runs thru both pieces of fiberglass and is threaded. Finishing screw is then applied from the outside. Part number CB3033
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Dave,

This is Bob Hichborn, I forgot to login on my previous post regarding the Click Bond products.

Thanks

Bob
dynoman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:34 am    Post subject: click bond Reply with quote

Bob
I will answer for Dave, it is possible he is on the high seas doing military duty, as he hasn't posted in quite awhile.
The one's I used are part # CB6014CR3-1P and CB6014CR3-1P
( NUTPLATE MINIATURE FLOATING) One part number is for the nut and the other is for the plastic positioning "thing-ma- jigger".
I would suggest the kit they sell, which includes the adhesive, one small package of adhesive does about 10 lock plates. I found they were very helpful on the telephone.
Chuck Knight
Dave Bauer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:14 am    Post subject: fiberglass fasteners Reply with quote

Bob,
Sorry that I haven't gotten back to you. Yes, I've been busy with Navy stuff and chasing terrorists. I've also been involved in a bitter divorce in which my ex managed to pull a legal maneuver and take my Pulse from me for over a year. I've got it back now, whew!

I used the '10-32 stainless steel floating nutplates'. I don't have a stock number to refer to until I get everything back from my ex later this month, but you can find the correct parts that way.

I've spent a lot of time looking for replacements for the original fasteners. I think the original ones stunk. I don't recomment Dzus fasteners since they are very large and have a lot of slop. The click bond products are designed for aircraft and are the best. They worked great for me and are easy to apply.
-Dave
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Thanks for the reply...... nice.... you're off saving the world and she's back here enjoying the freedom you guys are fighting for by taking your Pulse. Well, however it ends up, the Pulse group will keep you in our thoughts and Prayers.

I got a "demo" kit from the SE Clickbond rep, so I'll be making an order in a few weeks.

Good luck!
Dave Bauer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Pulse 167 held for extortion money Reply with quote

Bob,
Thanks for caring. Here's an update: We went to divorce court (end of a 2 year battle) and the court finally ordered my ex out of my house and told her to turn my stuff, including my Pulse, back to me.

13 days and counting down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: