PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seat replacements??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Falcon Wing

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:29 am    Post subject: Seat replacements?? Reply with quote

What options are there for replacement seats?? My rear seat is torn, and the bracketry for the front seat is worn out...it is perpetual recline.
Are boat seats the best option?

Thanks,

Joel
lite9dave

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:31 am    Post subject: Seat Replacement Reply with quote

There is also the option of using tractor/forklift seats. I used to build simulators and we used these seats in our pods. When my litestar seat started to show its age I replaced the seat with one of those.

Here's a site that sells such stuff. I'm sure there are others.

http://www.industrialseats.com/
lite9dave

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: More tractor seats Reply with quote

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=154&catalogId=4006970&PHOTOS=on&storeId=6970&langId=%2D1&cm_ven=PPC&cm_cat=Performics&cm_pla=Google&cm_ite=Google

This looked like a cool assortment courtesy google

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good site is:

http://www.cabelas.com/products/Ccat21334.jsp

It has a good selection of boat styled seating.

When I get to work I'll post several sites, which sell
"reasonably" priced auto racing styled seats. Another
option, which several owners have used, is getting
seats from any one of hundreds of vehicles from a
"u-pull" salvage yard.

Now, the seats are only mounted with wood screws onto
four steel "ears" welded to the main frame spine. Not exactly
a safe layout. I'll probably be incorporating some type of
additional cross braces that will allow for standard "slider" auto
seat brackets.

However, the "fishing boat" styled seats are a far less expensive
option.

Let us know what you end up with.

Bob Hichborn
Falcon Wing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that Cabelas site a few days ago..looks like a lot of choices but NONE ARE BLACK!!
I would also like to know how to remove the rear seat backrest...Do you have to remove body panels to take it off?

#199 sure looks nice sitting in the garage, but I have not been able to find anyone willing to work on it. It runs fine at idle, but dies when it is in gear and the gas is applied.
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were lucky at Biketoberfest this past weekend, in that the Sunset Inn was located about 100 feet from a Honda motorcycle dealership. The great thing was that one of the mechanics had worked on a few Pulses when he lived in Virginia. Ralph has the full story and had some work done on his machine, while he was there. He had a similar fuel issue. Those 4 carbs are extremely "touchy" and if they've been sitting for any length of time, the odds are they need to be pulled and cleaned. Remember these engines are in the 20 year old category.
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a couple of good seat site:

http://www.performancecenter.com/products/?category=Interior&productcategory=Seating&searchtype=41235d&sortorder=AADAA

http://www.airdynamicracing.com/shop/category.phtml?cat=Seats
Falcon Wing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

I was planning on installing racing seats like those until I saw how small the interior of the Pulse actually is. I don't see how a passanger could fit once larger seats like that are installed. Have you taken measurements?
What type of bracket would have to be fabricated to allow them to be installed?
Try Ebay for racing seats...I have seen some very good deals on there.
Racign seats would definitely look good in a Pulse.
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right... The rear seat is definitely a smaller area, more suitable for a "jump seat" styled application. There is plenty of "width" for both seating positions, so a standard "racing" seat will fit fine. I'm thinking of buying 2 racing seats and sliders from one of the sites I listed above, then taking one of them, hack off (artistically) several inches off the front and then have an uphsolstery place seam it back up. Another option is to buy a nice front seat and build a seat out of plywood into the back section, then have it uphsoltered to match. Think along the lines of boat seating. Not the drivers seat, but the rest of the seating that wraps around like on a "bow rider". Whether you do it yourself or have someone do it, I think it's going to be hard to avoid some custom work, unless you go back to the original styled boat seats.

I'm going to be wandering a bit thru salvage yards this weekend, looking for some 83 Dodge Omni parts, so I'll put on my list, jump seats or back seats. I also am looking for door panels and dash designs to use as templates for new Pulse interior panels.
Falcon Wing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

How is the rear seat removed? Mine seems to be attached to the back firewall, and the floor seperately. I wanted to know if there was some easy way to remove them before I start pulling carpet of body panels off.

Joel

BTW, I think I have decided on the gray/charcoal seat here:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/horizontal-item.jhtml?id=0022918015657a&navCount=0&cmCat=srchdx&cm_ven=srchdx&cm_ite=srchdx

BUT...if you can manufacture a bracket of some sort so I can install a REAL seat, I'd really be interested!
Bob Cervero

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:08 am    Post subject: Rear Seat removal. Reply with quote

The rear seat is screwed to the rear firewall from the engine side. The rear firewall must be removed from the Pulse to get at the screws. First remove both side panels. Then remove the screws holding the rear firewall in place. I think there are 4 near the top and 2 more down near the floor. Then the rear firewall will be loose. It will take a bit of jockeying it around to get it out of the Pulse. It's a tight fit. Then you can unscrew the seat pads from the firewall. Because the rear firewall fits so closely to the frame behind the seat I think you are stuck with the original rear seat. I don't know how you would mount another type of seat in front of the rear firewall and still have sufficient leg room in the back.
Falcon Wing

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand how to get the rear backrest removed.....however, how you you remove the lower seat pad for the rear seat??

I have not removed any body panels yet.....is there a correct procedure to do this? I don't want to remove something I cannot get back in place.
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm heading over to the garage tonight, so if I can make a big enough reminder for myself, I'll take some pictures of the rear bulkhead piece that also has the mount points for the two rear seat components. I'll givve them to Steve for posting tomorrow.
Bob Cervero

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: Lower rear seat pad Reply with quote

Once you get the rear seat panel out of the Pulse, then just look at the back of the panel. There will be sheet metal philips head type screws going through the rear panel into the wooden base of the back rest and lower seat panel. Just remove those screws and the seat pads will fall off.
Bob Cervero

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: Body panel removal Reply with quote

To remove the rear body panels: First remove the rear lower panel. This is the one closest to the muffler. Just unscrew all the screws holding it in place. Then you can remove the upper rear body panel. It can be removed without taking the canopy off. Before removing the upper rear body panel you must disconnect the tail light connector. The tail lights go with the upper rear panel and the wiring must be disconnected. The connector is located on the left rear side, just above the left rear access door. Remove the oval bulk head panel behind the rear seat and package tray. There are screws around the edge holding it in place. Once that panel is out you can see the connector. If you are kneeling inside the Pulse looking to the rear, the connector will be on your right fairly low. Look for the wires. It just unsnaps. Then you can remove all the screws holding the upper rear panel and it will drop. You can then slide it to the rear and off the Pulse.
Steve C. Schmidt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Rear Body Removal - - Rear Seat Removal Reply with quote

Rear Body Removal - - Rear Seat Removal

http://www.autocycles.org/bodyremoval.html
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve... Thanks for posting the pix.

Here's a request for all you Pulse owners.

Is there anyone out there, that can send me a picture of the interior passenger campartment with a passenger in the rear seat? I'd like to be able to see where their legs, knees, and feet are with relation to the front seat. Since my #77 is apart I can't get a good guage of the type of seating that might be an exceptable replacement for the famous Pulse boat seats.

Thanks in advance.

Bob
bob@n-space.com
Clifford D.B.R.D.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see the interior with someone in it myself. Still working on my design (slowly). Would like to see how everything fits.
Falcon Wing

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great information/pictures. Ill have a go at it soon, and Ill let you all know how it turns out. I have decided on the "Tempress" boat seats from the Cabelas web site. Would love to have racing seats, but there just isn't room.
#199 is still in the shop, engine was in some major need of retuning/adjustment.
I have plans for a new interior. Some people in my neighborhood do interior work out of their garage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: