PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pulse front wheels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:24 am    Post subject: Pulse front wheels Reply with quote

Well, I spent some time at several salvage yards this past weekend and looking at the front wheel and hub assemly on the Pulse. I orginally thought the front wheel had to have a zero offset, but now know that is not true. The fron rim/wheel is a 13 x 5 or 5.5 with an offset toward the outside of approx 1.5 inches. The diagonal bolt distance is 4 inches not 4.5. When mounted on the hub you will have a clearance of about .75 inches on either side between the wheel and front shock/spring. This number was measured using Monroe Loader Levelers 58575.

This offset value really opens up a wider range of vehicles you can use for donor parts. It's getting very hard to fine the early 80's Dodge Omni's. I had read that some may have though the wheel came off a Volkswagen. I'm told, all bugs came with 15 inch rims. Most VW vans also had 15s, except a few years that used 14s.
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I did a bit more research, so here's some updates on the wheel/rim used on most Pulses.

Name - Horizon,Omni

Year - 79 - 90

OE size - 13x5

Bolt - 4x100

Lug Nut - 12mmx1.5

CB (center bore) - 57.1

Offset - +40

This spec is also found on the Chevette and Audi Fox 76-84

The 88-93 Pontiac Lemans matches this spec except the wheel width is 5.5 instead of 5.0. So it may fit, depending on your shock/tire clearance.

I'm in the process of verifying this info, by finding some of these vehicles. I also noticed that with the original tire/wheel/and hub, that the distance between the tire and springs is not equal on both sides. This means that the wheel mounting plate on the hub was off by about 1/4 inch when first designed, but never fixed. If anyone gets a chance, try making this measurement and see if my evaluation holds on other Pulses.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: