PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

History 101 - Has anyone ever built a Pulse from scratch?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:30 am    Post subject: History 101 - Has anyone ever built a Pulse from scratch? Reply with quote

Ok all you Pulse historians.... I got another inquiry for Pulse plans this afternoon from someone that is interested in building their own Pulse/autocycle. Well, I haven't developed a set of formalized plans from my refurbishment of #77 and scratch building of PulseR 1 and 2, but am curious... Other than the 300 + Pulse/Litelstar vehicles, has anyone or company actually ever built and completed a vehicle from purchased plans, kits, or other means? I understand there were a few Starfighter(name?) vehicles, but were they original vehicles or just factory Pulses with a new name?
elden simons

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Thick dust on this Tid-Bit Reply with quote

Here's one answer that goes no closer to helping you, than it does to provide useful history.

Information from Popular Mechanics.
Date..not recorded, but likely 1983
Location in magazine..LETTERS

"A project of Patience"
(insert of photo: a near twin of Tomorrow Corp prototype and following caption) BD-200 autocycle, a motorcycle-based vehicle, is a 2-place tandem.

"Before starting construction, it took me a year to gather all the parts needed for my autocycle (see BD-200: It Almost Flies, page 148, Feb. '82). And then it took two years to build it in my garage at home. The hardest job was getting the aluminum pipe for the main frame. I found it at a boat-building yard in Vancouver. In Edmonton, Alberta, I found a place that used my forms to pull the Plexiglas windshield and canopy. The motorcycle parts are from a Suzuki 400. My autocycle may be displayed at Expo '86 in Vancouver. I've enjoyed PM for a long time and have built many of your projects, including the heavy duty workbench that I do all my work on.
Gerry E. Maricle
Kamloops, B.C. Canada

*My appologise, but I do not have a copy of the Feb. '82 PM article "BD-200:It Almost Flies".
elden simons

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject: Next Item from Research Reply with quote

Will any of the drawings given in the following address be of any help?
I can't download much of anything with this quaint unit I use.

http://www.robertmcray.net/BD-200%20plans/
Tammy and Elden have Pulse #308 from 1988.Built in Butcher's Barn and presently sets inoperative in their garage. We are still keeping it!
philipl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

ARe you building two Pulse types from scratch?
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, basically, I'm re-inventing the wheel or replicating the Pulse design, just to get a good understanding of the form and function dreamed up by the original cast and crew. Then, I'm going to experiment with various iterations: a trike version, a shorter single seater, different frame designs, etc... Obviously, I'll have to sell each one to fund the next, but hopefully I'll learn alot in the process and have some fun too! I've already learned one thing and that's that "it always takes alot longer and costs alot more than you originally planned."
philipl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

What is the level of completion on PulseR 1 and 2?
ashok rai

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: FYI Re Steering Box Reply with quote

Bob,
Since you are configuring a new system for #77 thought you may want to know that #25 has a cub cadet tractor steering box installed by Jimmie S attison per Randy Pinkham [2nd Owner].He says it worked fine [He had 2 Pulse vehicles].You may want to check that box out!
Good Luck,
Ashok
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion on the steering box. Yes, now that I've gotten to the steering box, we've found, has have others, that what was originally used is not a steering box at all, but a right angle speed reduction gear box. #77 will probably retain the original setup (maybe), but R1 and R2 will get something new.

The two new frames are complete from front wheel to rear motorcycle interface. Next weekend I'll be stripping a GL1100 donor to begin installation on R1. Still looking for another GL1100 for R2. I'm not sure it I want to be adventuresome this soon and build a trike version using one of the frames. I'll get some pictures to Steve for posting to the web site.
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've posted some new pix of the frame restoration in progress on #77 and some earlier shots of the new frame parts. More to come....

http://community.webshots.com/user/hollywoodbob
haiqu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:33 pm    Post subject: Building from scratch Reply with quote

Hi,

I bought the original plans. After studying them for about 5 minutes I discovered two things that were blatantly obvious:

1. It would never have passed registration in Australia.
2. Jim Bede isn't an engineer's assh*le.

The most amateurish junk I ever saw. Thankfully I only wasted $20.00

Rob
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...but, how do you really feel?

Only kiddin.... I think your comments reflect many of those who have also purchased plans or have seen remnants of them. As I've stated before, I don't think a vehicle could have been built from the plans that I've seen. Although, at some point in history someone managed to build the great pyramids with probably alot less. (I'm guessing here, not old enough to have been there)

Your $20 was well spent on a piece of automotive history and I'm sure you can make a few bucks by selling them to someone in the group.
How's things in Austrailia this time of year. How many Pulses have made it to your neck of the woods?
haiqu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

My Bede Auto-Cycle plans were left at an ex-girlfriend's house in Canberra in about 1983 so I don't have the originals to sell. But I did manage to get someone to do a reprint of them a couple years ago, so I have a copy now. (NO, DON'T ASK YOU GUYS, I'M NOT GOING TO COPY THEM FOR YOU ... THEY'RE TOO BIG!!!)

There are none here at all. I tried to buy one but the guy who lived near it and went over to inspect it for me never got back to me about it. I'm too poor to afford a good one, and haven't ever managed to catch a junker before it was snapped up. In fact before I found Steve's website I had no idea they were ever produced on an assembly line. If I could find one it would probably be able to be registered since it would only have to:

a) Have been registered in another country, or
b) Pass regulations for the year of manufacture.

It gets sticky though. According to the Dep't. of Transport they're regarded as a CAR because they have four wheels. Regulations are much tougher therefore, and it still may never be driven on our roads. Which has a disproportionately high Hoover-factor if you ask me.

I've also been a fan of Burt Rutan's airplane designs for many years, and recently fulfilled a lifetime ambition by purchasing a single-seater Quickie from New Zealand. Now I just have to figure out how to get it to Melbourne. Smile

Weather here is great, it's Summer after all.

All the best,

Rob

p.s. Hi to Steve, I'm still enjoying my coffee out of the Litestar/Pulse mug you sent me. Laughing
p.p.s. The pyramids had thousands of cheap labourers, and were designed properly. I should know, I was the engineer on that project. Cool
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

Thanks for the update from "down under".

As my new frames near completion, I had a CAD engineer come over the shop and give me an estimate on producing prints for JUST the frame/chassis assemblies. His estimate included a full parts list and over 50 drawings at a price of over $10,000. After the shock wore off, the reality is every part has to be accurately measured and documented, so it could potential be reproduced by anyone. As we've just commented, plans aren't worth the paper they're printed on, if you can't make anything from them. Good plans take time to make and time is money. (as they say)

So, for those folks hoping for "REAL" plans, you may have to wait a long time. I still may give Autocad a try and make some prints, but I don't think they could be marketed as official Pulse prints. We'll see....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: