PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FRONT END REMOVAL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: FRONT END REMOVAL Reply with quote

I'm in the process of removing the front end to give it a good overhaul. I noticed Dave Bauer's pictures and notes on an older message board dealing with this procedure. BTW...has any of the valuable info from that old site been transfer to autocycle.org?

So, am I to understand that the two bolts that go into the steering "collar", are what holds the front end on? Does the huge nut on the top of the tube (bearing preload adjuster) have to be removed first. BTW... does anyone know what size that bolt is? I was up at Autozone the other night and wrenches that big are going for $39.95!!!! So, I'd hate to make a mistake and get stuck buying a few of them.

Thanks for any help. This is the last step needed to totally remove the body, so I'm anxious to get the front end off (and do it right).
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, well it seems like this task might be a first for the group, so I'll give you a status, with pictures to follow. I'll give a basic procedure here, but will create of more detailed doc with pictures in the coming weeks.
.5 Strap hoist around main frame and apply lift to get front wheel off the ground.
1. Remove front windshield
2. Remove brake line at top of steering columm
3. Remove brake line at bottom by brake caliper
3.5 Detach speedmeter cable
4. Remove 2 caliper support plate bolts
5. Remove 2 caliper bolts - you'll notice due to clearance issues the caliper can't immediately be removed.
6. Remove 8 left and right side "axle chock" screws
7. Wheel and tire assembly should now "drop" down easily.
8. Back up top, tap the bent metal "locks" from around the two 15/16 main support bolts.
9. Loosen and remove the two bolts and curved steering columm "collar"
10. Steering assembly should drop straight down thru from wheel cavity.

Notes:

- The front steering assembly is heavy, approx. 50lbs without the wheel.
- The VW styled front rim does not have a zero offset, possibly applying more pressure to one side of the front steering assembly? Could account for some portion of the Pulse's balancing issues..

Questions:

- Does everyone have the front wheels that are not zero offset? Look at your front wheel, is the center piece in the center of the outer rim, like a motorcycle or is it "offset" to the left or right of center?

- Is there any reason not to use a "mag" or solid styled motor cycle front wheel?

- If there are any of the original design people "lurking" out there... Is the front axle all custom or did it originate off some other vehicle?

That's it for now......not bad progress, considering it was done in the aftermath of hurricane Charley. Man..... what a mess down here!
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW ... here's a good link that describes wheel offset.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/offset.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: