PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alternative Alternator Location

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elden simons

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:33 am    Post subject: Alternative Alternator Location Reply with quote

Okay you creative types. Try this idea for possibilities.

For autocycles that just don't have an alternator that can keep up with power needs, and no chance of installing anything in the cramped body area...how about running one off of the right outrigger wheel?

Now, more times than not, my Pulse leans to the right. The radiator is sticking out on that side and the fan for it too. Then there is the slope of the highway when using the right lane...it encourages the tilt to the right as well.

What small alternator can be housed from debris and also be run from some modified shaft connection to the right outrigger?
I even considered a drive cable like that used for hobby carving and often run from an electric drill.
Then again, it might make one awful noise since the drive cable would be routed through a flexible sleeve and a grommetted hole in the autocycle body.
Well, I then figured the alternator be kept somewhere inside with this thought. Yet, not in the cockpit where it will be next to hot.

Some of ya, give it some thought before shooting it down. If there are alternatives...Great!
Carl McCullough

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:07 am    Post subject: Alternator Placement Reply with quote

Eldon,

Look at Pictures of #333 on this message board. Look at photos 45 and 76 of 90 and you will see where mine is placed. I have a GL1100 engine and the alt and air conditioner are driven off the the same belt. The alt is in the center right behind the back seat.

Carl
elden simons

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Darn,Darn,Darn... Reply with quote

Well,
I was successful the last time to view the photos after Steve had provided some way to them, but is blocked for me now.
I clicked on most of the addresses given on the #333 entries and received the same block that happened originally.
So....
In long-hand terms please, Carl...
these particular photos shows ..what?
Is it an after-market add-on?
Is it where I should find the actual altenator?

If it is after-market...what should I get to copy your work for success?

My Email address and PM box is available if you don't care to go long in explaination on the Forum
Jeremy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator Placement Reply with quote

Carl McCullough wrote:
Eldon,

Look at Pictures of #333 on this message board. Look at photos 45 and 76 of 90 and you will see where mine is placed. I have a GL1100 engine and the alt and air conditioner are driven off the the same belt. The alt is in the center right behind the back seat.

Carl

Carl,
I have tried several times to view the photos you left on yahoo and can't. Dad and I am in the process of installing a GL1200 in both #47 and #218. Could I talk you into emailing the pictures you mentioned to me?
Jeremy
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy,

I'd be interested in how your GL1100 installations go. I'm using GL1100'a just because I've got one in #77 already and can look at the installation as I build another, but finding a GL1200 with a reverse gear would be real nice. Then I could forget about the seperate reverse motor and lever that's came with the Pulse.
Dave Bauer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: GL1200 motor Reply with quote

Bob,
Bad news. The GL1200 engine did not have reverse. Reverse was not available on GoldWings until they came out with the GL1500 6-cylinder engine in 1988. Unfortunately, the GL1500 engine is far too large for the Pulse body and the only way to make use of it would be to make MAJOR modifications, such as losing your back seat.
-Dave Bauer
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Thanks for the info.

A few months back there was a guy in Ocala, Fl selling a GL1200, which he said had the reverse option, which is why I keep hoping he knows what kind of bike he actually has. He obviously, didn't know much about the bike he had for sale.

Thanks

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: