PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yam 400 to h2o cooled Honda--is resale worth $$ invest. ???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlm205

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Yam 400 to h2o cooled Honda--is resale worth $$ invest. ??? Reply with quote

was wondering if swapping out Yam 400 for water cooled Honda yields better net resale --- when motor expense/time figured in for swap. ??
i gotta take 400 out for frame-off restoration anyway.

thanks--john
elden simons

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Just an opinion Reply with quote

Don't keep the 400 Yamaha just because it is original engined, yet don't go for a superbike either.

The time of the 400cc is basicly over and doesn't add to the originality, in my opinion.
There has got to be a shaft drive, water cooled engine smaller than 1000cc out there. Heck, maybe not even shaft drive, but I remember from some Forum Posters that said that a sport bike engine would fit the frame.

I'm sure someone has better input for you on the topic of engines.
The resale value on an autocycle that has a good engine is a better bet, than a cantankerous Yam that can't get parts for. Very Happy
jlm205

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Elden !!
--how is your restore going?

---was hoping i could get some other current owner's opinions also.
---thanks--john
Stevenp74

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: engine swap Reply with quote

I put a kawasaki 600 water cooled in mine and love it. no engine
overheating anymore, starts easy every time. It was an easy
change out , no altering the frame. I waited till I found a good
engine and price. IN my case it was well worth the time and effort.
Good Luck!
Bob Cervero

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:13 am    Post subject: Honda or Sport bike motor? Reply with quote

Some people have used the big Honda in place of the original Yamaha 400. Some people have used water cooled sport bike motors instead.

To install the big Honda you basically cut the frame of your Pulse behind the rear seat and attach a Honda Gold wing, minus the front end, to the back of your Pulse. Hang the radiator on the side and probably make some mods to the Pulse body.

To install a sport bike motor, like a Kawasaki 750 water cooled one, you remove the original Yamaha, make motor mounts, mount the motor and attach the chain. No frame cutting required. Then modify the exhaust, mount the radiator in the nose or on the side. Some mods to the Pulse body may be required to clear the exhaust.

Some Hondas come with reverse. You cannot change gear ratios. They are more expensive. A sport bike with a chain allows you to change gear ratios. Some sport bikes have shaft drives.

The choice is up to you.
jlm205

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steven and Bob---

Thanks for info.
--but do you think putting water cooled motor in increases resale value?
---or do buyers just want running unit?
--is original motor important ?

i'm thinking of resale value if i restore it vs selling as is.
if i decide to restore i'll probably still put it up for sale afterward.
i enjoy the restore process--just too old to keep up proper maintenance w/ a smile. for a "keeper" ha!

thanks for input !!! --john
Bob Cervero

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a Kawasaki ZX-750 in Pulse #61. I bought a wrecked bike for $800. I made the motor mounts and bought a radiator from Ebay. The original radiator was destroyed in the wreck. Other stuff like radiator hoses, wiring, etc. probably another $300. Then I sold what was left for $200. So I guess I spent about $1000 for the motor swap. Remember I did all the work myself. If you pay someone to do the work it will be WAAY more expensive.

Can you get more for a fast, reliable, never over heating Pulse than an original Yamaha 400 powered Pulse? Absolutely!
jlm205

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob---thanks for info.
sorry for late reply.
did nothing all winter--retired.
busy as a bee last 3 weeks.
john
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: