PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Honda Gl1100 Wheel? Frame?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AcftEngr

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Honda Gl1100 Wheel? Frame? Reply with quote

What is/was used as the front wheel when using a shaft drive GL1100? I am heading down the path of a frame up rebuild. I was using a smaller engine but have run across a "free" 1981 GL1100.

I want to possibly change directions but am unclear. I have the standard 400cc frame but assume the re-engine will include the donor bike frame just aft of the steering bearing? Also, I would cut the square tubing at the square just behind the rear seat? Is this correct?

Does that mean the front wheel is the standard automotive style? How about the rear tire? Assume it would be the motorcycle style?

How was the original Pulse configured with the Goldwing engine with respect to tires, frame, and front wheel?
Steve Schmidt
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front Wheel Rim is from a Horizon Omni
Year - 1979 - 1990
OE size - 13 x 5
Bolt - 4 x 100
4 Lug Nuts - 12mm x 1.5
CB (center bore) - 57.1
Offset - +40

More info:

http://www.autocycles.org/tires.html

Engine replacement info:

http://www.autocycles.org/engine.html
AcftEngr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve. So that is essentially a motorcycle tire on the rear and car tire on the front? Are there any issues with this arrangement?
Steve Schmidt
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using a automobile wheel and tire on the front and the motorcycle rear tire seems to be a great setup as per factory in 1985.

I have not had any issues with either my Yamaha 400cc powered Pulse or my Honda 1100cc Pulse. Rear tire is easier to change than the front. A few owners have tried putting a motorcycle tire on the front auto rim.

I just repaired the front brake and had to remove complete wheel to do it. The speedo gear is connected to front wheel and neither Pulse speedometer seems to work right. Probably my fault.

Through the years other Pulse restorers have changed the front fork angle and others have tried to incorporate a donor bike front fork.

The factory overbuilt the front fork. It is heavy duty, but the steering rod is connected with a small attach point and seems to work. Some owners have beefed this point up.

The fork was not designed for 100mph + speeds anyway.

Several owners have re-powered there Pulses with all kinds of different motorcycle engines.

Starting with Ed Butcher of Owosso Motor Car Company. Ed used the air-cooled Yamaha 400cc engine and then switched to the water-cooled Honda Goldwing 1100cc and 1200cc engines. He also re-powered several of the Yamaha 400cc with the Goldwing water-cooled engines until he closed the company doors in about Jan. of 1990.

Ed re-powered his own Pulse with a Ford Fiesta with reverse gear in about 1990. His dream was to have an automatic transmission. There is a video of his conversion on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQiki2uXyEs

We have seen several re-powers using BMW, Kawasaki, Susuki and others over the years by owners.

Recently, a couple of owners have re-powered with the Honda 1500cc. These have a built-in reverse.
Pulse #091 was electric and then converted to the Honda 1500cc by Chris Page - Pearland, TX. Fred Showalter of Noblesville, IN converted his Pulse #61 to the Honda 1500cc.

Two Pulses at the last rally had the Honda 650cc automatics....so no more shifting. Bryan Treen of Mt. Vernon, OH converted his Pulse #123 to the Honda automatic.

A couple of Pulses are being converted to 3 wheelers with auto engines.

A few Pulses have been converted to electric. With mixed results.
I drove Dave McCoy's Owosso Litestar #009 that runs quite. Lots of acceleration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvjMDjp_Vg8&list=UUqgHopf0OX1Xg43jLYjHnNg&index=4

Owosso Litestar #015 was converted to electric by Calno Mangum of Florida.

Shocks are another interesting topic at the rallys each year. I had air shocks installed front and back with an on-board compresser. I like this the best, but everyone has an opinion.

Without good air or coil-over shocks, these vehicles ride very rough.

There are lots of engine options, so do your homework, come to the rally and talk to all the guys who have done conversions and save yourself some time, money and grief.

This is a great group and all are ready to help you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: