PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Battery for the Pulse

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve C. Schmidt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:35 am    Post subject: Best Battery for the Pulse Reply with quote

According to the a 1985-6 Pulse Manual for the Yamaha 400cc engine,
they recommend:

12V Wet Cell

35AW

1.2 Amps for 10 hours.

Measurements are: 7 3/4" X 5 1/4" X 7 3/4"

What Battery do you use? What brand, size, etc.

If you have a Honda Goldwing engine.....what battery do you use and reccommend. Please give brand name, size, model number, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: Winter Charging Reply with quote

Re Battery: Could somene also advise if the battery needs to be on a trikle charge over the winter months and how and where would one attach the cables? Apologise Rolling Eyes Steve for latching onto your topic
elden simons

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:46 am    Post subject: My old battery Reply with quote

I was out in the garage and took a look at the old battery from 1994.
I have to check it now and then for corrosion on the posts and also the electrolyte level (use distilled water to keep electrolyte even with the bottom of the cell tube, but above the cell plates).

So, Steve, the measurement of the second battery for my vehicle is right darn close to what you noted.
7 3/4" at its widest, 6 1/2" at its narrowest, and 7" tall (not including the battery posts or cell caps).

I picked mine up at the local Interstate Battery store. I didn't shop for the cold cranking rates or other. It was only the size that I was aiming at. Besides, I just looked at mine and there isn't any rating on it.

The 'first' battery was kept in the vehicle over winter and was just fine for the next year and the one following. I finally did take it out and it froze in the garage.
It got that tell-tale bulge on its sides. This second battery I keep on trickle charge (some sort of cycling action).

It isn't any joy way back when, to remove and install the battery in the nose area for charging up. Also got kind of filthy in there thanks to the front tire (too bad there isn't some button to push, to blow the nose clean).

So, I'm sure battery ratings have improved since the manual was printed. Go for the best!
Tammy and Elden have Pulse #308 from 1988.Built in Butcher's Barn and presently sets inoperative in their garage. We are still keeping it!
Bob Cervero

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I did when Pulse #61 needed a new battery. Measure the space available for the battery. Find the largest car battery that will fit in that space. Don't buy a motorcycle battery. The 400 Yamaha charging system is marginal at best and the Pulse draws more current than the Yamaha motorcycle charging system and battery were designed for. This will give you a greater margin for when you have difficulty starting the motor or have to run your Pulse in a negative charging situation like at night with all lights and cooling fans running.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: