PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you go about changing tires? (not outrigger)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Falcon Wing

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: How do you go about changing tires? (not outrigger) Reply with quote

The tires on #199 still have good tread, but they are starting to show their age with cracks. I think I would feel more comfortable with new ones.
I doubt I can just pull up to Discount Tire and let them have a go at it.....so, what do you all recommend??
www.picturetrail.com/falconwing2 (seat bracket build)
Steve C. Schmidt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject: Tires Reply with quote

I have posted alot of info here to my site.

It would be a good start to read it.

The front tire is an auto tire and the rear is a motorcycle tire. A motorcycle shop should be able to change out the rear, adjust chain, and check brakes.

The front tire is alittle tricky, but read the Front Tire Change info .....bottom of page.

http://www.autocycles.org/tires.html
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel,

No matter what, pull the wheels off yourself and bring only the tire/wheel to the shop, because, after they're done laughting they'll charge you an arm and a leg to remove and re-install the wheels.

As Steve said there are several descriptions on the autocycles we site for removal tips. I've recently bought 2 front tires, one was $9.99 (generic brand) and the other was $19.99 (Kumo). The rear Dunlop is a tad bit more. I got price quotes from $85 to $190 for the same tire. I ended up orderering it online from a place in Daytona for the $85 price.

www.cycledeals.com

Shop installation prices range too. Auto tire about $10 to $15, but the motorcycle was again more pricey $35 to $80.
elden simons

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:45 am    Post subject: Here's my ten-cents worth Reply with quote

In regards to the front wheel, I've removed it a couple of times.
Use a scissor jack and put a 6"x10" plywood board on top of it, then a piece of shag carpet on top of that. I positioned it right below the pseudo wall behind the front tire. Don't forget to put a brick in back of and front of your rear tire to keep it all from shifting (Murphy's Law just plain happens). The brake assembly comes apart just fine. Just remember the reverse method in reassembly.
I also took the time to snip a length of clothes hanger to use with the brake assembly. I just couldn't stand having that thing hang by its hydraulic line for any length of time beyond actual working on it. I hooked one end of the wire to part of the wheel fork and another hook to the brake part.

The rear wheel, nope, never done it. Watched someone else do it.
Bob Cervero

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Tire replacement. Reply with quote

Hey Joel. Your Pulse, #199, has car tires front and rear. When Don Muddiman installed the Kawasaki motor he left the original rear suspension from the Pulse. The rear tire is not a motorcycle tire.
It's not hard to remove the tires. After you jack up the front, unbolt the brake caliper and hang it on a wire to keep from damaging the brake line. Then unhook the speedo drive. loosen the axle nut and pull out the wheel and axle as a unit. The wheel, axle and brake disc will come out together in one piece. Once you have them out, then disassemble this unit to get the wheel by itself.
The rear wheel is removed the same way but you have to deal with the chain and sprocket also. Unbolt the caliper and hang it. Loosen the axle nut. Slide the axle forward to get slack in chain. Slide chain off sprocket. You might have to remove the chain master link to remove chain. Then the wheel, axle, sprocket and brake disc will come out as a unit. Disassemble them but remember how they go together. It's a little tight getting to some of the bolts, but not impossible.
Try to get a tire that has a symetrical tread. Some tires have angled treads. Don't go bigger than a 155 width. I think 199 has 155 SR 13's on it. The original tires were 145 SR 13 but they are real hard to find. Good luck!
Falcon Wing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

Thanks a lot for your reply, and to everyone else for that matter. I am fairly confident that I can remove the front tire, but removing/replacing the chain on the rear tire seems rather daunting!
www.picturetrail.com/falconwing2 (seat bracket build)
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To coin a phrase .... "JUST DO IT"

When I started pulling #77 apart, I didn't have a clue of what to expect. I've learned a ton about the Pulse and really wish I had the time to do more myself, because I just don't like shelling out the $$$ for stuff I know I can do myself. I've made some mistakes and had to do somethings over a few times, but "oh well". Get out the still or video camera and tape yourself pulling it apart, so if you run into trouble you have something to review. You'll probably have an easier time getting some tech out to your place making $$$ on the side, if you mess something up, then getting the Pulse to them in their shop to do the work.

Your call, but knowledge is power...
Bob Cervero

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Chain removal Reply with quote

Hey Joel, it's really not hard. Once the rear wheel is loose you can just remove the chain tension adjusters (they will actually just fall off) and then you can lift the wheel above the swingarm and move it forward until there is a ton of slack. Then just lift the chain off the sprocket and the wheel assembly will come out to the rear of the swingarm. It's not hard.
Bobby Oncet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:20 am    Post subject: self job, personal removal of retrofit rockets and gyroscope Reply with quote

o,
never mind.
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

Thanks for posting the tips on removing the wheel with a chain drive. I've got the GL1100 shaft drive and just replaced the Dunlop on the rear. It's a really tight fit, unless you loosen or remove the rear drive. I didn't want to do that, so I went the route of letting as much air out of the tire as possible, so it could be "worked" past the drive hub and left side swing arm. Hey, whatever works!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: