PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Polyethylene Sprayer Tank for Fuel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pulse 308

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Polyethylene Sprayer Tank for Fuel Reply with quote

Okay, old subject... and yes, I do have the dimensions for the construct of a stainless steel replacement tank. What I don't have is a local shop to construct it...so...
In looking through a Northern Tool and Equipment catalog, noted a polyethylene sprayer tank. It is 16"L X 12"W X 14 3/4"H...(8 Gal.) What it is lacking is internal baffles.
Item #2689-1505 Umm...bad idea?
steveg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sprayer tank is ok good strong and will take a lot of banging around,
thickness is just over 3/16 in so its sturdy.. HOWEVER without baffels th gas will slosh.. not good. if there were just two inside that would be sufficient.
a suggestion.. I have done this though iwouldnt really reccommend it.
cut a hole in the top place screen mesh (like nascar) inside so it acs like a fuel cell, then put the piece back on and have it welded (plastic welded)
ultrasonic.. i have done this with good results. brass wool would work if you can stuff it in the hole, but youll need a lot of it, stainless would work also but $$$$$$$ either way...
steveg.
l
steve george litestar #009
otisco NY
Pulse 308

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:45 am    Post subject: Oh, that's good news Reply with quote

Steve, you say brass or stainless steel wool stuffed into tank. What manner ? ...pull such slightly looser than as bought in package?
Stainless steel wool is sold also as kitchen aides for scrubbing things.
I can relate to having to cut the top of tank open to insert baffles, but ultrasonic welding? Sounds neat. Seen also in J.C. Whitney a plastic weld kit, but it is automotive type plastic. So, how do I get my hands on such a welder?
(probably the internet...duh). You've apparantly shopped around.
Share a hint.
steveg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: poly tank Reply with quote

using a brass or stainless wool will make the poly tank safer, that is if it catches fire, the heat will be disipated thought the wool and not the air causeing and explosion, this method is common in race cars.

as for the ultrasonic welder you can find one online thoughi haent checked the price, but im sure its not cheap. if you do the stuffing thing,, drill your fuel out hole first, place in your tap and seal and then suff.
make sure you get all the plastic shavings out before stuffing.
steve george litestar #009
otisco NY
Dave Bauer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject: Why work so hard? Reply with quote

I replaced my fuel tank when I ripped out my engine in favor of a better one. However, I noted that the original tank appeared to be identical to the fuel tank on my dad's Sears Craftsman lawn tractor. So, rather than do all the work on something from JC Whitney, why not take a trip down to Sears and get the original?
pulse 308

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:57 am    Post subject: Ya, don't need extra work... Reply with quote

Good point, but I don't need "identical". I need additional capacity... (refering to the Pulse actually, not "I").
I mean, I've got those swell plans for a stainless steel replacement tank, but no convenient local shop.
So, an alternative containment is sought. So far, this way is more possible...just the curious method of alternative baffles.

An additional useless note is... the original cycle tank didn't have baffles...I'm baffled!?
Dave Bauer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject: replacement fuel tank Reply with quote

Have you considered a regulation fuel cell for a race car? They come in all shapes and sizes. Most are some sort of plastic or other composite material. Perhaps one of the manufactures could make one for you. You can even get them with fuel cell foam inside of them that keeps the fuel from sloshing around.
Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: