PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Compare Front End

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve C. Schmidt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Compare Front End Reply with quote

Here is an early prototype front end:

Here is a typical Pulse front end:

steveg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the prototype looks a bit crude, but it seems to work, though im not crazy about the geometry of it all. like i mentioned earlier posts i think it can be done better. not so cluncky.. one thing i wouldlike to mention though is the two big bolts, I have had mine work loose, so im not a fan of this setup, i think the other is stronger using a plate on top and bottom witht the bolt going through each, bit that would make a big pain to remove.
what i think cold have been done is to have the bolts come through with the stud end comming out instead of in, this would make installation easier .. just lift the assemble onto the studs and then couple of washers and self locking nuts and its there.
i understand why it was built this way, and the geomery used (because of the wide tire and all. if it were a stamped unit (like the rear fork assembly on a new bike) the cost would have been astonomical just n tooling. im sure that if production woud have continued there would have been signifigant improvements in a lot of areas of the pulse/litestar in the long run. anyways thanks for sharing the pics... steveg #008
steve george litestar #009
otisco NY
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, I've had several of these apart and have machined and fabricated new components for the entire front end, and still can't understand why the "throat" was not just welded to the goose neck like it's been done on millions of motorcycles and have a full size bolt/pin go from top to bottom all the way thru the throat, just like your standard motocycle with a nut and lock pin on the bottom. It would have been less expensive, easier to remove, and a heck of a lot safer. That "big" nut and set screw on the top is "set" into maybe 4 threads in the throat. That's all that is keeping that front end from breaking lose! I don't get it....
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm......Steve's post and my reply prompted me to zoom in on the throat of the unknow Pulse in Photoshop. This unknown vehicle actually uses the setup I was attempting to describe. It's setup just like a motorcycle! Which explains why the front has the big solid plate and not the notched out smaller plates like most Pulses. The throat is welded to the gooseneck, so the 2 bolts are not needed to secure the whole assemble to the frame and gooseneck. Well, this raises some more questions about when and where this Pulse was built. Was it a "kit" someone built and made this improvement to? Does anyone have the Pulse plans that might show the design for this area?
Steve C. Schmidt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: plans Reply with quote

The AUTOCYCLE plans by Bede show a motorcycle that has been stretched. He used the front fork off of the donor cycle and a tube to connect to the rear engine / frame.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after looking over both setups, i m going to weld mine in place, i had one bolt almost out and the other loose , and i dont want to lose the car over a stupid bolt.
and while im at it i will agian look over the geometry and think abut a redo.. one for baance, and tow to easy steer.
steveg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: