PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PULSE NO 211 SAGA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chengsls

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 4:59 am    Post subject: PULSE NO 211 SAGA Reply with quote

I AM THE PROUND OWNER OF PULSE NO 211!
Can anyone help me with the following challenges:

1. The steering shaft (from steering box to fork) broke in two. I removed it, but it appears like a complex shape and not straight. As it was twisted when it broke, it is difficult to know its original shape. Can I replace it with a straight rod?

2. Any recommendations on where I can get a Yamaha 400cc "Chiltons" repair Manual?

3. There is a piece missing that connects the gearshift rod to the gearshift spline (where the original footpeg would go) on the tranny. What type of piece goes here?

4. Also missing a piece just forward of the main drive chain sprocket on the tranny. It leaks oil from here, is it a clutch piece?

5. Anyone in Southern Califonia that has a Pulse Club?

Thanks for your wisdom! Scott.
steve 195

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the steering rod is straight. The piece that is missing by the drive sprocket may be the clutch rod that operates the clutch pressure plate. The piece for the shift linkage was the original foot peg cut off and a 5/16" bolt hole drilled throug it so the linkage can be attached. check here and scroll down for a good pic of it.
http://www.pulsefl.0catch.com/Kawasaki/index.htm
also check here for many other good pics of the frame and various assmblies.
http://www.pulsefl.0catch.com/tech_index.htm
And here for some very good reading and ideas.
http://www.pulsefl.0catch.com/
Thanks again to Don Muddiman for his contribution.
Hope this helps
Steve 195

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Bob Cervero Reply with quote

You can find a manual for your motor on Ebay. Be careful. There were 2 different Yamaha 400 motors installed in Pulses. Your is probably the newer motor looking at your serial number. Go to Don Muddiman's page and look at his motor. Looking at the top of your motor, if the valve cover is shaped like an "H", you have the newer motor. Don's page gives the correct motor designation for that one. I don't remember it off the top of my head. Good luck!
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott,

Here's a couple of pictures of the steering rod. I'm at work, otherwise, I would have gotten a shot of the whole thing with measurements.

These shots are also old, before things were cleaned up and repainted.

Hope this helps....

http://community.webshots.com/photo/148097077/341948783BEyxby

http://community.webshots.com/photo/148097077/341949804DXdhQk

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a better image of that steering assembly pitman arm.

If the image doesn't appear, go straight to the online link.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/148097077/342726193ykNaDT
Steve C. Schmidt

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Steering Box Repair Reply with quote

Can you please explain how to remove the steering box. Do you have to remove windshield and dash, etc.?

How is the steering box repaired? How much play should there be. Mine has about 1" slop in the steering wheel. I would like to tighten up my steering.

Or is this characteristic of the Pulse?
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh.... I see I logged in as GUEST again!.

Steve,

I'm probably going to remove the steering box soon, and will actually dismantle it, so I can supply the group with images. My plan, right now, is to also take it to a local bearing shop in town that manufactures their own boxes. My hope is to get a box that is closer to 1:1 then the present 4:1 ratio. Of course, I have to make sure there's still enough mechanical advantage for the driver, so it doesn't feel like you're wrestling an alligator when you try yo turn.
Steve 195

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have looked at pics of a steering box from a early 70's and mid 80's full size chevy pickup. The mounting orientation is correct I believe, for the linkage to be on the correct side as opposed to Don's saginaw unit. This won't help the ratio but should help the slop in the wheel by eliminating the backlash. An Alligator!, mine is like wrestling two during parking manuvers. New challenge, I'm thinking remove the stock gl1100 alternator stator, make appropriate coulpings and place a compact car power steering pump in the cover. And a gm power steering gear up front.
Robert Cervero

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Steve. To get to the steering box you must remove at least the top of the dash. You might be able to, with a lot of effort get the steering box out without removing the windshield, but I doubt it. I would remove the windshield. I removed and replaced the windshield on #61 at least 3 times by myself.Once you get the hang of it, it's not too bad. Just take off the fiberglass strip over the roll bar and the windshield will come right out.
As far as the play in your steering, the question is where is it coming from? Move the wheel back and forth. Where is the slop? Is it in the box? Or is it in the steering linkage? It might just be in the linkage which is easy to fix. Check it out.
Hard steering? I have driven 2 Pulses. #61 and #199. Both of them steered very easily, even at a dead stop. I'm puzzled by hard steering complaints. #61 and #199 had different steering boxes so that's not the problem. I would make sure everything was moving freely, especially the steering head and bearings. When I jacked up the front of #61 so the wheel was off the ground I could grab the front wheel and move it back and forth and cause the steering wheel to spin from lock to lock. Hardly any resistance. How is yours? This test might tell you where the difficulty is coming from.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my litestar from day one since I got iti has steered like a bear.. I had it up in the air also and iut moved freely, and when driving at speed drove nice, but at slow speed forget it.. even moving it around in the garage is a chore. I had thoghts of selling it at one time if i couldnt correct this. if anyone has a pic of their box and it steers easy I would like to see it. maybe its the box ratio, or arm length. I have thought of power steering.. but dont want to add any more onto it. any help out there?
steveg #008 stevengeorge@usadatanet.net
scg13803@yahoo.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: