PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chain slipped off, how do you tighten? [b]UPDATE![/b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Falcon Wing

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:36 am    Post subject: Chain slipped off, how do you tighten? [b]UPDATE![/b] Reply with quote

My chain slipped off yesterday while shifting in a corner, really made a lot of noise. I was able to put it back on...and there doesn't look like there is any damage except some scratches.
How do you tighten the chain?
www.picturetrail.com/falconwing2 (seat bracket build)

Last edited by Falcon Wing on Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:03 am; edited 2 times in total
Steve C. Schmidt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Chain Reply with quote

I suggest you pick up a copy of the engine manual for your Pulse. All info on adjustments should be listed.

Good Luck,

Steve
Randy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Chain Adjustment Reply with quote

Should be just like any other motorcycle with a chain. Adjustments to the rear wheel ... move it back. If you run out of adjustment room then it may be time to replace a 'stretched' chain.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a Pulse is a little different when adjusting the drive chain. Remove the lower body piece. Remove the cotter pins in the rear axle and loosen both axle nuts. Then loosen the bolts holding the rear brake caliper to the swing arm. The caliper must be able to move with the wheel. Unlock the adjusting nuts on the chain adjusters. Turn the adjusters inward to tighten the chain or outward to loosen the chain. When the chain tension is correct, that is you can move the chain about 1 inch up and down with finger pressure, lock the adjuster nuts. Make sure that the rear wheel is aligned straight with the frame or front wheel. Use a string if necessary. Tighten the axle nuts and insert the cotter pins and bend them over. Tighten the caliper bolts. Replace the lower body panel and you are done!
elden simons

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Align the rear wheel to the front.. Reply with quote

Now there's a point that has my curiousity. When using a "string" for wheel alignment, what are we attempting exactly. I'm unfamiliar except for a 'Shake and Bake' class I took for Diesel Equipment repair. It was instructed that to insure the rear duals on a trailer are aligned, use a string (1/4" rope) to measure from the trailers tow pin to the left and then the right dual wheel...insuring they were equal distant from the pin (not proper discriptive). So... does one measure with the string/rope from the front axle of the front wheel to the rear axle, going from right side front to right side rear and then do left-front...left-rear?
I'm only guessing on this.
Then as an idea...how about using a flexible fiberglass-reinforced tape measure. The kind that has a D ring end and little hand crank on the side of its case (maybe they only come in 50' models...that's what I have). Such will reduce stretch error anyways.
So...I'm only asking a little clarification.
Falcon Wing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies!

Steve, where can I get an owner manual?
Robert Cervero

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Aaah! The String. Reply with quote

This is a common method for aligning the rear wheel on a motorcycle after adjusting the chain. Stretch a string taut alongside your motorcycle from the front all the way to the rear. Make this straight edge longer than the entire motorcycle. Usually it's attached to a home made holding fixture, tool box or anything at both ends. Move the string so that it just touches the rear wheel at the front and rear of that tire. Then you have a straight line going forward from the rear tire. The string will show where the rear tire is pointed. The string should come very close to touching the front and rear of the front tire just like the string does on the rear tire. Because of the long length of the string, small mis-alignments of the rear tire will tranlate into large changes at the front tire. Move the rear wheel adjusters until the front and rear wheels are aligned and the chain tension is correct.
Falcon Wing

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:58 am    Post subject: UPDATE! Reply with quote

I took #199 to my mechanic today.....he is a certified motorcycle mechanic...works on just about everything and today he said he would rather work on the Pulse than my 01 GoldWing!

Turns out the chain is toast. Loose in some places and tight in others. He did tighten it for me until we get a new one (around $120). I have to say, it is a HUGE difference in how the car feels and sounds with a tighter chain.
One interesting thing was when he jacked up the Pulse, the shocks were able to expand and the car actually rode on 3 wheels....before I could only get about 1" of clearance on one outrigger. I guess the compressor is not strong enough to lift the weight of the car anymore.
elden simons

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:08 am    Post subject: air shocks Reply with quote

Hey Joel, think about checking your air shocks sometime too. Not only is your compressor probably getting old, but... it doesn't have an in-line dryer either. What that means is you might have water collection in the shocks. Whether this is readily noticable or not, I have no idea. Drove mine only two years and pulled the front shocks to get rid of them. Unhooked the lines and chanced to hold them upside down *Gurgle, Gurgle*. I'm only guessing others may encounter this problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: