PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

short PULSE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steveg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:31 am    Post subject: short PULSE Reply with quote

hey I got a question about the short PULSE... how much shorter?
is it built different than a regular pulse (besides being shorter)?

the reason i ask is back to the balanceing thing agian..
I have found out with experimenting with recumbent cycles (tow and three wheelers) that if the cg is raised slightly on the two wheelers the cycles sem to self -balance much like a motorcycle.. and just by leaning a bit hear and there you can make it lean into corners..

I have rode on the Preaves Ecomobile while in Germany a number of years ago and the owner tells me the same.. if its built too low to the ground (like the Litestar/pulse balanceing is difficult, there is no gyroscopic action that can be effective because of the low CG.. ther is a name for this but it escapes me.. it has to do with head angle, forward motion, rake and trail.. ect..

I was thinking that if I was to build a new pulse/litestar from sratch i would certianly look into other outrigger equipped machines such as the Ecomobile or the Acabion (www.acabion.com) both have CG much higher
than the litestar or pulse..

something to consider..
steve george litestar #009
otisco NY
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

The first version of the shorter single seat Pulse has got 16 inches cut out of the main center tube and outriggers. The next version I'll be trying for a full 24 inches in the frame. The rest of the length reduction will come from removing 12 inches from the nose and what ever can be reduced in the rear. The goal would be to eventually get the Pulse from its present 190 inches (16 ft) to around 12 ft. The only structural and performance enhancements will be to increase the turning radius and add limited rotation to the outrigger wheels, so they don't drag when your in a turn. Obviously, we'd all like to see a frame that removes the central pipe and is designed with a lighter weight space frame with some side impact protection for the driver. A good example of this is the new 4 wheeled "fighter jet" Pulse that Ray found at a recent air show.
As far as the Pulse ever balancing......that's not a big priority for me. If you want the Pulse to lean then you have to get outriggers that retract/move. I'd rather build a trike version either 1F2R or 2F1R and tilt the entire body independent of the 2 wheels, similar to the Lean Machine or Carver. I'm not to sold on the EcoMobile concept.

Bob
steveg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the update..

removing the center pipe shouldnt be a problem (you could decrease the diameter) and with additional side framework provide enough strength and side crash... way back when I remember Warp 5 was going to do the same..

looking over some of the feet forward guy's contraptions you could get ideas as how to pullit off .. making it shorter that is..

making the nose shorter would be an improvement as far as looks..

fuctionality of getting the outriggers not to scrub would be somewhat of a challange because of the different radius' of the drive/driven wheel and the outrigger themselves.. but its is definatly do-able youll have to lay out (on paper)each wheel, and its prospective radi in different turns and figure the best outrigger placement for each.. I suspect the the best would have to be dead center of the front/rear with a "cant" on each outrigger wheel
leaning out.. that is top of the wheel inwards to the body and the bottom outwards.. a more rounded tire profile also..(scooter tire) and larger diameter thinner width would work..

as for the Ecomobile, the Germans have a nickname for it and translating means "rolling dildo: Razz
steve george litestar #009
otisco NY
Steve Schmidt
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve g,

Can you email me a pic of your Litestar?

Thanks,

steveschmidt at hotmail.com
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, making the outriggers work effectively is definitely a challenge. I'll be happy with just enough gimble/rotation to reduce the rate of tire wear. Of course, doing any type of rotation means the outrigger enclosures need to be redesigned. I'm going to go ahead with at least one single seat Pulse with the outriggers, but it will probably end up being a "one off".

As I mentioned, I think if I can cut the single seat version down under 12 ft, I'd really like to go with the Delta Wing look and dispense with the troublesome outriggers all together. There will be some redesign with this too, but the final product will hopefully be more practical. You also remove the whole issue associated with leaning or balancing using retractable or nonretractable outriggers.

I've always been intrigued by the GM Lean Machine and Craver designs, even though the "tilter purists" say that design is also flawed. So that's something I'll probably look into sometime in the future.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: