PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transporting, Towing, an Autocycle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elden simons

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Transporting, Towing, an Autocycle Reply with quote

Idea Hey Club Members Exclamation

I know there is guidance interspersed throughout this Forum on the given subject title, but I think that both this Forum and Steve's Archive web site needs a catagory from members who have learned the both the hard way and from others on the best ways to transport or tow an autocycle.
Anything from disconnecting things, to use of straps, and how not to orientate your autocycle on a trailer.
So, how about using this catagory to build a list and then using such info to post for everyone on the Archive?!
I know that even I may need such information in the future.
RON PALMER 154

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am ready to make a towbar for the trip to Marion. I never towed it this way. Should I put a trailer plate on it for the tow? I have a 1200 Gold Wing. I made a wiring harness that you plug into a Y harness that in plugs into the 9 pin taillight socket. You plug your 4 pin trailer plug into it and into it and off you go. Ron
Steve Schmidt
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have flat towed my Pulse using a factory towbar .....from Owosso, Michigan to Marion, IN during the day and no lights....using the plate on the pulse. At night I turned on the lights on the Pulse. Make very sure that tow bar is secured very tight to Pulse.......if loose, Pulse fish tails.

A club member supplied this drawing of his towbar.

I also have a custom Pulse trailer that was an old boat trailer. Channel steel center for main Pulse tires and aluminum flat stock for the outriggers. Three 6 foot ramps. I use one nylon strap running thru slots in front rim and one strap running to both tow bar holes on bottom of front fork. I also use one strap running thru rear rim. When the straps are tight....the pulse rides good.

This trailer is similar to mine.

Towing you Pulse:
http://www.autocycles.org/towbar.html

Trailers:
http://www.autocycles.org/pulsetrailer.html

Chuck and Linda Furgason love to drive their Pulses from Jackson, MI to Marion. Thats the only way to go! You should hear all the truckers comments about them on the CB's.
Bob Cervero

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, guys! When I sold Pulse #61 to Fred Showalter he towed it using a factory tow bar from Orlando Fl all the way to Indiana with no problems. I disconnected the drive chain to keep the transmission from turning for over 1000 miles.
I was also concerned about the outrigger tires. A pulse tends to lean over to one side and I expected that one outrigger tire would would take all the wear for 1000 miles. When Fred got to Indiana he called and told me that the outrigger tires were fine.
I did tape cardboard over the windshield to protect it from damage. A good glass windshield is priceless. I also removed the nose cone and put more cardboard over the radiator to protect the radiator from stones during the tow. I removed the nose cone because it's possible for the tow bar to hit the nose cone when going over inclined driveways and such. I do think that for long distance towing a trailer is the way to go.
elden simons

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Autocycle Orientation on a Trailer Reply with quote

This is just an assumption, but I believe that orientation of one of our vehicles on a trailer is important.
Someone can add to this note, but I think that when transporting a GCRV via a flat bed trailer or even a truck it should not be backed onto the transport. The convenience of having the vehicle orientated for unloading 'nose first' after reaching the destination may seem a good idea, but I'm guessing that it will cause heart ache.

Isn't this the cause for the regrettable 'blown-out' windshields?

The velocity of the windspeed gets in from behind the canopy and dislodges the windshield?
RON PALMER 154

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I finished my towbar. Tomorrow
I will test it. I guess there is no baking it up. Ron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: