PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Outrigger Lighting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Outrigger Lighting Reply with quote

What type of outrigger lighting, if any, does most owner's Pulses have?
1. No lighting at all
2. Running lights only
3. Directional lights
4. Brake light indicators
5. Under wing lighting

I'm trying to rewire and install lighting on Pulse #77. I remember there being only one small light mounted on the back surface of each outrigger, but don't remember if it functioned as either turn or brake indicators. I've got a rear brake lens/enclosure, as well as, basic motorcycle styled turn indicator lights at the rear of the Pulse. Not sure if I need anything more than that. Do lights on the outriggers have any value other than a type of "obstruction" light?

Thanks,

- Bob
Chuck Furgason

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob
Both of ours have clearance lights only. I think when running at night you need all the lights you can get, plus it looks good.
Chuck
hatfield

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. They are all running lights. Red ones on the rear of the wheel housing and amber ones on the side. They make anexact replacement that has LED's, I switched to those.
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help.

I assume they come on when the igition key and bike is fired up or would they be wired to the accesories power? It probably doesn't matter.

In many states, since the Pulse is considered a motorcycle, you need to drive with your lights on. I think alot of new bikes automatically turn the lights on when the bike is started. Pete, can you confirm this? In this case, do the owners with the pop up lights raise their lights when driving?

I'm looking at molding the rear side marker lights of the 2002 Nissan Maxima into either the outrigger pods or tail section.

- Bob
hatfield

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

Yes, all NEW bikes have the headlights on when running. On my Pulse, I do not pop up the headlight during day time, only at night.

What are you looking at for turn signals and rear view mirrors? I'm currently in process of installing a set of turn signal/rear view mirrors off a Gold Wing 1800. They are a combo unit and then I will put the signal mirror glass in it to privide the red arrow in the glass to be seen from the rear.

Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete,

I really like those! For Pulse #77 I'm using the JC Whitney version of them. They're only $19 each, but I keep eyeing lights and mirrors everytime I go to the bike shops here in Orlando.

- Bob
elden simons

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Light-Star Reply with quote

I agree with Chuck Furgason. Lighting up with markers and such keeps the other good drivers alerted to the stabilizers and the vehicle as a whole.

Anyways, when the engine is cranked, the marker lights come on and stay on during operation. I can't remember if they come on with the key only partly turned and the engine not cranked or what... (Hmmm...?) I use to just use the under-wing lights (landing lights) for day time safety.

I'm sure glad them there LEDs are available. So much more can be used on the GCRV than before.

I've entertained the thought of some sort of strip lighting along the back edge of stabilizers... you know, leading from the body, outward to the pods. Too bad those electro-luminescent strips that were on the market three years ago didn't get improved on.
Insetting such luminescent just a 'tad' into the fiberglass would be nice, rather than it looking like it was stuck on with double-sided tape.

*side note: my brother is in town and says I need to detail my gas tank diagram on paper a bit better so when his contact gets out of the hospital, perhaps I might get a fuel tank (sigh* details-details)
mikepulse325

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Outrigger lights Reply with quote

Pulse 325 came with "Trucklite" red on rears, yellow on sides. They are running lights. Replacement part number 19726. They are on several trucking supply sites on the web. Note: another little thing that makes Pulse ownership fun is that the originals were secured with a bolt and a nut. Nut is inside the wheel housing - which means it is probably rusted to the bolt. If you are switching the entire assembly (19726 comes with the bolt/nut secured plate and snap in light), plan on removing the outrigger wheel to actually get the darns things off. While you have the outrigger wheel off you might as well get a new tire, get it balanced, repack and lube, paint the tire rim, etc. then spring will be here before you know it...
hatfield

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not tried yet so, how do you remove that wheel? Do you have to pull the covers off the wings?
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete,

This image shows the 2 bolts that secure the outrigger wheels stub axle. You should be able to just loosen and remove them and the wheel and hub should just drop straight down. You definitely don't want to pull the fiberglass panels off, unless you really have to. They are sealed together with the same foam used in various other parts of the Pulse.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: