PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engine Fumes in Cockpit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Engine Fumes in Cockpit Reply with quote

As I continue the assembly process of Pulse #77 and review the pile of old plywood, aluminum sheets, carpet, insulation etc... I'm thinking of how I can better separate the engine compartment from the passenger area.

Since the original dividers were not "air tight", does anyone notice any engine fumes in the cockpit with the canopy closed? I know the rear bulkhead fiberglass panel does not form a tight seal against the center frame pipe and as I remember there were areas up in the tail "storage" that had questionable seals against engine fumes.

Thoughts?

Thanks

-Bob
elden simons

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Carbon Monoxide Reply with quote

When I had operated #308, I did not have problems with exhaust fumes entering the compartment. The tail pipes were well to the rear, plus, I don't recall where any tail wind ever blew exhaust back through the rear of the canopy.

I realize that even when I operate a regular motor vehicle (car, truck) I do encounter exhaust from either having backed into it (reverse) or having started in a garage. Yet, no recollection where it was ever a problem with the autocycle.

Having removed the firewall with a hack saw in 1992, my wife has her druthers in trusting that I can properly reseal the resulting joint. I don't believe there will be any problem. The engine exhaust is without leak where it meets the engine anyways. It hasn't been in the weather to corrode or loosen either.
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Elden,

I just recently picked up the Pulse fuselage and it stuck out of the back of my mini-van. I noticed alot of exhaust fumes getting sucked back into the vehicle. I guess since the Pulse is so "slippery"/low drag, the fumes have little tendency to get sucked back into the engine area allowing them to make their way into the driver/passenger area.

The rear bulkhead on Pulse #77 was a bit questionable, so I'm planning on developing some fiberglass access panels that hopefully reduce engine noise and the chance of fumes getting into the forward area.

- Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: