PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Coil Over Shocks - Adjustable Shocks!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don Willi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: New Coil Over Shocks - Adjustable Shocks!! Reply with quote

I would like to use these on the front of my !!! I like the idea that they are adjustable!! I have a dealer close to me and will be checking out more
about them and the price!!! Don

http://www.swayaway.com/motorcycle%20frameset.htm
elden simons

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Don: the new Shocks investigator Reply with quote

Don, going to be fun for you. The parts guys always gotta know...what brand is it? What Model? What year? ...Never heard of it.

With the odd front steering assembly and all for your GCRV, you will have to just buy a shock and experiment carefully. Yet, bringing a product (shock) back to the store in resellable condition is the tricky part.

Looks really nice!
Don Willi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: WOW! Reply with quote

Wow, They were very proud of their shocks at 620. each!!! I think when I priced the Monroe Hijacker air shocks they were 65. for the pair!! I may go that route or if anyone known of any nice adjustable coil over shocks at a fair price, let me know!! It's nice to be able to raise or lower the front to get the look you want with the air shocks! I'm almost done with my new front fork and haven't welded the shock taps yet and can do for the look I'm looking for, but it just would be nice to adjust later as well!!
elden simons

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Air Shocks Reply with quote

Does anyone think the air shock set up should have an in-line air filter (dryer)?

Mine got pretty well filled with water (I'm still thinking they were second hand shocks with some water already in them). I was into adjusting the fronts often. I thought it was neat to mess with the on board air pump.
Found myself leaning a bit too much going down the highway as a result.

I got a letter, back then, reminding me to keep the front shocks adjusted so the wheel axle was just below the wheel well opening and no more. Otherwise the handling sucked.
Don Willi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Interesting! Reply with quote

Interesting!! So if to much of the wheel shows or the front end is raise to much, handling can be an issue??? However if you stay within your specs mention here or less wheel showing ( lower look ) then handling is better??
Bob Cervero

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaah, air shocks. I put a set of the Monroe air shocks on the rear of #61 and they worked fine with an onboard compressor system from J C Whitney. I have not heard of anyone having a problem with water getting into air shocks before. Lot's of hot rods use them and the problem never has come up.

My preference was to keep the normal non-air coil over shocks on the front. That way all the heighth adjustments were done using the rear air shocks only. I was concerned that the front end might get adjusted too high which will create handling problems. That way the front ride heighth was always correct since most of the weight of a Pulse is on the rear suspension. Any adjustments for extra weight or riding conditions were made on the rear.

A warning on air shocks. They will unload and rise up in a turn and raise the suspension during a turn. You will find that after completing a turn you will be riding very high for a while until they settle down again. Kind of alarming sometimes. The solution is to install a set of rubber straps across the shocks to limit this rise due to unloading in a turn. I put these straps on #61 and it solved the problem and improved handling greatly. To set these straps, adjust the ride heighth of your Pulse to where you like the ride best. Then measure the distance between the shock mount bolts. Make your straps an inch or so longer than that measurement and install them across the shock mounting bolts to limit the unloading travel. You can play with this adjustment to get the best ride in corners for your Pulse. Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: