PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some pictures of the new Pulse fleet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject: Some pictures of the new Pulse fleet Reply with quote

I added a few progress images of my growing fleet of Pulses. Clicking on the small image should link you to larger pictures. The vehicle in the foreground is the first of the prototypes to have the frame installed. Not shown is the front suspension, roll bar, and outrigger body panels. I didn't feel like dragging anything more out of the garage.

The middle vehicle is 2 things. The outer shell is the main body mold and inside is the main body for Prototype #2, it's frame and other parts were also left in the garage.

The last vehicle is #77 after coming back from getting a clean bill of health from the motorcycle repair shop and a quick maiden voyage. And, you guessed it, rest of it's parts are back in the garage.

Things are moving along, although alittle slower then I'd like. It's hard to balance my limited free time between finishing #77 or getting either of the 2 protos further along. Next step for proto 1 is attaching the 81 Goldwing GL1100 "sitting in the garage". I don't know how those guys managed to build 350 of these. It's a pretty amazing accomplishment, IMO, regardless on how it ended up.

Steve Schmidt
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any Day You Wake Up With THREE Pulses in the Driveway.....is a Really Great Day!

Bob....I think we are all very impressed. Keep-up the great job.
Don Willi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Looks Super!! Reply with quote

Bob,
What a super nice job on these!!! I can remember my visit and seeing your #77 getting ready to be molded!! You have come a long way!! Thanks for sticking to it!! Seeing these pics motivates me even more!! Thanks!!!
steveg

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great job indeed!
damm i wish i was closer I would come by and lend you a hand.. for free..

Im interested in knowing if you made or are making mods/improvements to the frame and other things like the gas tanks (like in the frame tube)
and what aobut a single seater? if you get one I would be interested in getting one..
hope to make it down there sometime...
keep up the great work.
steve george litestar #009
otisco NY
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The single seater frame is done. This project is a joint venture with a friend and fabricator. The ball's in my court on this one.... I have to get a body put together for it. So, it's moving along fairly well, but like we've all found from time to time.... "life sometimes gets in the way".

I could have used some help putting the prototype frame and body together last week. I recruited my 18 year old daughter a few times to do some lifting, but anyone with kids knows how tough it is to get them to do anything. I definitely am not taking that frame back off that one, even for painting.

- Bob
elden simons

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Retro Headlamp system Reply with quote

I understand the choice for going the retro route with the headlamp system. Not having to mess with retracting mechanisms for one.

In this day-an-age, people are using those dang headlamp covers to black-out their headlamps (Warning: For Show Use Only...ya, right).
So, in retrospect, using on your projects either HID lighting or other new tech headlamps, plus smoked lens covers insted of clear may be a nice look.

I don't know how other vehicle operators get away with it (If there isn't a specific law on the State books covering such, then it may only be a misdemeanor ?).

When I look at the older style dual headlamp set up on the Litestars and Pulses. I'm thinking Heckle and Jeckle (cartoon crows).
I kind of like The single headlamp look of the BD-200, but two is beneficial.

Once one gets a thinking on these matters, there are sure alot of headlamps systems out these days.
Putting one right on the tip of the nose with a smoked nose cone over it would be neat too. Or, embed several mini projectors in the nose like so many machine gun ports like WWII P-38 and other fighters once had.
hcubed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more problem is state laws concerning the height of the headlights (min/max).

Each state may be different, but the averages are 24 to 54 inches (center of light to ground).
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Update on Pulse #77 Reply with quote

I've uploaded a couple of pictures of my progress on Pulse #77. It's finally painted. Now comes the task of getting it all back together.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2738836700038589010HUIVvR
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've finally got around to installing the Goldwing into Prototype Pulse #1. I didn't try to re-invent the wheel on this install. I pulled the tail off my Pulse #77 and basically replicated the steel framing with some minor improvements.

I had to leave the throat on the Goldwing to preserve the VIN number. The goal is to register the Pulse as a custom Honda Goldwing. If that doesn't work, I'll the to go the route of the homebuilt or scratch built vehicle. Either way, I'm in Florida, so hopefully the process is a bit easier than some of the war stories I've heard from other places.

I may go with the Kliktronics shifter to avoid running a shaft for the shifter, etc... but they are a bit pricey at almost $1000.

I'll post some pics on my Webshots accout.

- Bob
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just uploaded of few pictures. Nothing too incredible, just progress shots. The install, well at least the welding part, only took a few hours. Obviously, there's tons more to do.

I'm not sure how many non-production Pulses were ever built by indivduals, but I'm sure this will one when finish be part of a very small list.

http://community.webshots.com/album/573798941HLJYCW

- Bob
Falcon Wing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Hichborn wrote:
Just uploaded of few pictures. Nothing too incredible, just progress shots. The install, well at least the welding part, only took a few hours. Obviously, there's tons more to do.

I'm not sure how many non-production Pulses were ever built by indivduals, but I'm sure this will one when finish be part of a very small list.

http://community.webshots.com/album/573798941HLJYCW

- Bob

Very nice work. Out of curiosity, why not go with a more modern wing motor if you were going through the trouble anyway?
www.picturetrail.com/falconwing2 (seat bracket build)
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel,

I had the GL1100 donor already, so it was more a function of cost and availability. A GL1200 would have been been an easy substitution for sure. I think a decent GL1500 would be in the $5000 plus range. I was also looking for a Honda V65 Magna, Sabre, or Interceptor, just to give it a bit more muscle. I have a little mini Pulse frame that when finished will be a Pulse but about 3 to 4 feet shorter. (single seat) I'll probably find a Honda V45 for that. A nice little compact rocket.

I have one more fullsize Pulse "kit" left after this one and I'd really like to go electric. There's a pretty experienced EV guy over in Tampa that I'm going to ask for help on that one.

Too many projects in the garage. I have to start getting some done. I've spent alot of the past month working on my custom corvette. That got put under a tarp when I bought Pulse #77 five years ago.

- Bob
Falcon Wing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

Thanks for taking the time to answer that. I am sure there is more involved than I could possibly imagine.
I am really impressed with the work you have done.
www.picturetrail.com/falconwing2 (seat bracket build)
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulse Proto-type #1 is back home with it's new Gl1100 donor. Now it's time to install the carbs, extend the electrical harness, build pedal assemblies, build and install canopy slides, mount a steering box and instrumentation ......

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2545809700038589010YBHQtS?vhost=rides

.... fit and install all the remaining fiberglass panels, run brake lines and install master cylinder....

Actually, as the group meets in a few weeks at the Cruise In Fly In, if anyone's interested in a brand new partially completed Pulse have them give me a call. I'm going to continue to work on Proto #1, but I wouldn't mind selling it so I can clear some room for Proto #2, which is going to be electric.

Have a great time up there... and Ray, continue with the great interviews and videos!

- Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: