PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Pulse Owners

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Schmidt
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: New Pulse Owners Reply with quote

James Amos of Muncie, IN .....Pulse #304

Craig & Sabrina Heavenridge.................Indiana...................... Pulse #277

Erick Kluthe...........................Lewisville, TX.........................Pulse #34

Here is Ericks new ride ----

Erick

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have been driving my new pulse around for the past few months. There are some things I noticed about it.

1. The mirrors are too low. I have to lean forward when I use them.
2. Can't do any night driving. The headlights are just sucking the battery dry. The voltage drops to less than 10volts when they are on. I can not drive at night. Need to check my battery and/or alternator. Maybe I need a bigger one.
3. There is a 24 inch fan right above the engine, in the storage compartment. When I drive, the noise and the engine smell can be over whelming. When I'm moving, I just open the canopy a bit and the air moves the engine smell out the back. I plan on removing that fan and design a different way to keep the engine cooled.
4. Need to install some heat sensors to monitor the engine and the engine compartment.
5. After a good ride, half of the body screws become loose.
6. Found a rats nest of wire through out the pulse. Some are connected and some are not. Need to trace the wires and to where they belong too.

Over all, the pulse runs really well. I'm getting ready to put it away for winter. Then I'm going to tear it apart and do some much needed work/upgrade to it.
DON SUCHA

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Pulse Cooling and Electric System Reply with quote

Erik: The electrical system on the Yamaha 400 powered Pulse is marginal but can be made workable by keeping the current load to a minimum. The wires are too small going from the battery foreward to the fan switch and then back to the cooling fan as are the wires to the lights. I added a second wiring loom from the engine compartment up to the instrument panel with proper size wires to power the lights, guages, etc. I also added cooling fan relays in the engine compartment connected directly to the battery and cooling fans. The existing cooling fan switch is only used to turn on the fan relay. I completely redesigned the engine cooling fan system using "low current draw" fans and added an oil cooler to keep the engine cool. I also insulated the engine compartment from the interior and heat wrapped the exhaust pipes. See "How I cooled My Yamaha 400" on the Autocycles web site. Pictures of the modifications can be seen at www.clarksonmotor.com/gallery/pulse. Look in the sub-album - Pulse modifications. Since these modifications I have not had any overheating problems on hot days or any electrical problems driving at night. Don Sucha
Erick

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fan has its own wire from the battery to the switch then to the fan. I don't even know if a fuse was installed for it. At first glance, there are 6 wires dangling with an open end. Looks like one pair goes to an interior light above the storage compartment. Won't know until I start taking it apart.

My engine does have an exterior oil cooler. From what I have read, this Yamaha 400 will over heat but I like to have sensors for more accurate readings.

Will also need to repair the fiberglass where the screw goes. Just some basic work I could do anytime this winter.
elden simons

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Loose Body Screws Reply with quote

Oh, ya...I just remembered that even our club member in Alaska had mentioned the same problem with screws coming loose and thus losing them.

I had that very problem with the screws that hold the rear fender (or diaper as some would call it).

Visit a hardware store and pick up a tube of GOOP. It is an adhesive that isn't permanent for the problem that you are trying to solve...it is more like a silicone.
GOOP is often sold as a tennis shoe repair or rubber boot repair (if you buy the black color stuff).

Anyways, put a dab on each troublesome screw before screwing them in...yes, some of the stuff gets squeezed out when tightening the screw... just wipe it off with your finger. The screw won't be glued into place. No. It will be just fine until you unscrew it again. You will just have to rubb the GOOP residue off with your fingers or finger nail and reapply the next time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: