PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fasteners?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thatjoeguy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Fasteners? Reply with quote

Hi guys!
Well, once the ball starts rolling, it really picks up speed.
In just one week we finally replaced the disintegrated rear rim, halled ass to Bakersfield and got the van and Pulse painted to match at Earl Scheibs (albeit in pieces) and commandeered a friends garage until the paint cured.

I finished final assembly this morning with a neat solution to the fastener issue.

My Pulse came to me in pieces so I never had the chance to compare the original fasteners and to tell you the truth I was confused by all the Space Shuttle equivelents some of you recommend.

I found something called FAST TAPS, self tapping stainless screws for $3.99 and used a box of plastic wall anchors (.18 ea.) to button her up.

The only thing I ran into was that to reach the most rear anchor points I had to assemble the top and bottom sections into a single more heavy piece an then attach to the main body.

The access panels on each flank gave me plenty of room to reach inside and position the plastic anchors.

I hope this helps some of you who are on a shoestring like me.

Here are the latest pix:
http://www.toon-guy.com/funnypaperz/toon_mobile2.htm

Joe King
www.toon-guy.com
Jim Finch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Fasteners Reply with quote

I am using a weld nut retainer from http://www.mcmaster.com P/N 90955A109 using expoxy to hold in place.I looked at the click bond types they were 4.00 each these from http://www.mcmaster. were only .50 each.
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started using stainless steel threaded posts. I drill the hole on the inside fiberglass part a bit bigger, so the post will slip inside. It can be apoxyed in if needed. Drill the outside panel the diameter of the SS bolt that screws down into the post. This post will tend to keep the threaded bolt from interacting with the fiberglass panels, it kind of acts like a sleeve. With all the movement and flexing these panels go thru while driving, those holes could grow over time. Using just threaded screws with nuts on the inside is like a file constantly grinding and chaffing away at the inside of the bolt hole. I've found the posts at both Ace Hardware and Home Depot/Lowes. They're in the sub $1.00 range. The bolts I use are chrome allen keyed style, so they look pretty good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: