PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to Install a New Canopy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Finch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: How to Install a New Canopy Reply with quote

I have a new canopy from Todd's canopy. He was very helpful and it was fine to do business with him.
On his web site he uses a adhesive called Siuka u295. It sells for $20 a tube and it needs a primer that sells for $40. No one sells it local and only a few places on the internet. I am wondering what others have used to install the canopy ? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

I think everyone I've talked to, uses something different. I recently installed the canopy on Pulse #77 and used a polyurethane/silicone based sealant called Life-Seal from BoatLife.

The original canopy was just fastened using some silicon sealant. It was a tight bond, but easliy removed with a sharp blade. The canopy could be cleaned, meaning the sealant didn't affect the canopy itself, like some glues or other adhesives might. If Todd recommends a particular product it's probably a safe and well tested choice. I didn't want to use bolts at all, because I think it takes away from the sleak Pulse profile, so I only used them sparingly.

One thing about Todd's canopy's (which you may already have found out) is that they tend to have more curve to them and have to be cut to fit. Because of this the "fit" may vary. This "extra curve" keeps the canopy from laying consistently on the fiberglass canopy frame. As a precaution I added several bolts evenly spaced at each corner, making sure the bolt hole was bigger than the diameter of the bolt so there'd be no chance of the bolt chaffing the inside of the hole, potential initiating small cracks. I covered the bolts with HINGE SNAP-CAPS® - Hinged Screw Covers. You can find them at Lowes or Home Depot.

As I mentioned at the start, this is just one method of many. Good Luck...

- Bob
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll also mention that where you decide to trim the canopy and windshield from Todd's will determine how much of that "bubble" or " bottlenose dolphin" look you get. After reviewing some pictures I took of Pulse #77, I realized I had more of that effect than I wanted, but it's too late to change now. When I cut the other 2 sets I have for the two proto-types I've got, I'll pay a bit more attention to this. Of course, if you go with the glass windshields that Chuck is offering, you'll eliminate the problem, at least on the front windshield.

- Bob
Stevenp74

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:43 am    Post subject: canopy rubber seal Reply with quote

I know this has been answered before but I can't find the answer.
I need to replace the rubber canopy seal. The one at the front of the canopy to seal it from rain. I looked in the JC WHITNEY catalog but
I either missed it or it came from someplace else. If you know of a place
please let me know. I am trying to get ole 74 back together to take it to
the national rally.
Thanks
igotpulsed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, I have just posted the Electric pulse forum from a while back because it seems a lot of people are interested in turning theie vehicles into an electric. I have toyed with the idea myself. It appears that at the time you were interested. Did you do it. If not , why? Please post your reply in the electric pulse forum to keep it all together. Thanks.
Jim Finch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have installed the canopy from Todds. I used the Siuka 295 which seems very strong. I also used the primer that is recommend for it. The primer sells for $ 60.00 . I have over a half a bottle left over that I can sell for $30 plus shipping if anyone is interested.

Below is a factory canopy

Below is a Todd's canopy on Pulse #274

Here is a Todd's canopy on Pulse #74

The following info is taken from the Autocycles CANOPY webpage:

"INSTALLING a Replacement Canopy

Jim Finch.......2008.....

I ordered a new canopy from Todd's canopy of Florida. He was very helpful and it was fine to do business with him. On his web site he uses a adhesive called Siuka u295. It sells for $20 a tube and it needs a primer that sells for $40.

I have installed the canopy from Todds and used the Siuka 295 which seems very strong. I also used the primer that is recommend for it. The primer sells for $60.00.

From Bob Hichborn......2008.....

I recently installed the canopy on Pulse #77 and used a polyurethane/silicone based sealant called Life-Seal from BoatLife.

The original canopy was just fastened using some silicon sealant. It was a tight bond, but easliy removed with a sharp blade. The canopy could be cleaned, meaning the sealant didn't affect the canopy itself, like some glues or other adhesives might. If Todd recommends a particular product it's probably a safe and well tested choice. I didn't want to use bolts at all, because I think it takes away from the sleak Pulse profile, so I only used them sparingly.

One thing about Todd's canopy's (which you may already have found out) is that they tend to have more curve to them and have to be cut to fit. Because of this the "fit" may vary. This "extra curve" keeps the canopy from laying consistently on the fiberglass canopy frame. As a precaution I added several bolts evenly spaced at each corner, making sure the bolt hole was bigger than the diameter of the bolt so there'd be no chance of the bolt chaffing the inside of the hole, potential initiating small cracks. I covered the bolts with HINGE SNAP-CAPSĀ® - Hinged Screw Covers. You can find them at Lowes or Home Depot.

I'll also mention that where you decide to trim the canopy and windshield from Todd's will determine how much of that "bubble" or " bottlenose dolphin" look you get. After reviewing some pictures I took of Pulse #77, I realized I had more of that effect than I wanted, but it's too late to change now. When I cut the other 2 sets I have for the two proto-types I've got, I'll pay a bit more attention to this. "
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: