PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engine noise and different exhaust pressure from pipes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erick

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Engine noise and different exhaust pressure from pipes Reply with quote

I was driving my pulse and enjoying the last of the fall weather. Suddenly, I heard a noise from my engine. It sounded like a clacking sound. I returned home, happy that I didn't need to pull it home.

At first I thought the exhaust pipe came off the engine. As the engine was running, I can feel a lot of exhaust out of one pipe but very little out of the other one. When I took the tail apart, I don't see any break in the pipe.

Is there something else I can check or do I need to get the valves or rods looked at?? Is this something I could myself? Or is it better to have someone else do it.
mikepulse325

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: exhaust pressure Reply with quote

Erick, you did not mention then engine type you have. One question: was there a noticeable loss of power?
Erick

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an air cooled Yamaha 400 engine.

I'm pretty sure there was less power. I pulled my foot off the gas pedal when the clacking started. Basically, I keep the RPMs low until I got home.
mikepulse325

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: less pressure Reply with quote

Erick, mine is a 1100 gold wing. I'll defer to other 400cc owners but if your pipes go to headers for seperate cylinders (or is one pipe for each), you think you are getting less power, and the noise, then it's probably time to go into the engine. Have them check the ignition system first however. Mike
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erick,

As you already know, clanking sounds in the engine could be alot of things. You could do a simple compression test on all cylinders, if you dare start it up again. You can also use what I refer to as the "old farmers stethoscope", only because I learned it from an old farmer. Take a wood dowl, a wood broom stick works too. Place one end up to your ear and the other at various positions on the engine. You should be able to easily determine which cylinder the clanking is coming from and whether it's in the upper engine head area or lower crank case. It's definitely shade tree mechanics but you did ask for some basic checks you could make yourself, before having to pull it altogether.

- Bob
Erick

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not going to believe this. Found the problem with the loud noise and the clacking problem. I started the engine again and this time I put my hands all around the exhaust, just to make sure there wasn't a hole in the pipe. As I moved my hands to the side of the engine, I could feel a blast of air. Checked the other side and there was no air. Turned off the engine and felt where the air came from. As I moved my hand around, I touched the spark plug and it fell out. The plug had vibrated out of its hole. Screwed the plug back in and the noise is gone.

Did a few test drives and the spark plug came out again. I screwed the plug in as tight as I could, but it came out a third time. I replaced the spark plugs a few months ago and they are the same as the originals.

Going to put some adhesive on it and hopefully that will work. Has anyone seen this??
elden simons

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject: Vehicle parts spit out and still chugging along Reply with quote

The classic case of vehicle parts being lost or dropped while the vehicle is also making strange noises is the often known as the Herbie Syndrome or the Chitty-Chitty Bang, Bang, fantasy.
Perhaps your autocycle should be scheduled to see a pscho'mechanalyst to see where such peculiar fantasies stem from. Perhaps it feels confusion as to whether it is a failed aircraft or a tipsy motorcycle.

Rolling Eyes
Chuck Furgason

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erick
Are the plugs the type that comes with your engine or are they an after market I have found that sometimes that makes a difference. Also did you check the threads in the head make sure they are ok. when a plug seats it won't come out by its self. you should not have to use a sealer to kept it in. I usually put anti cease on to be able to get plugs out.
Chuck
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erick,

I've never heard of that happening, so I did a quick search online and as Chuck mentioned, if you're losing a plug it's either not exactly the right size(aftermarket vs OEM), the threads on the plug or head are suspect(check for metal fragments on both), the plug wasn't torqued the right amount(check the torque specs for the Yamaha 400), or the seating washer was missing preventing the plug from seating tightly. The forums I reviewed were split on using Anti Seize on the plugs. Good Luck!

- Bob
Erick

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spark plugs are the same as the ones I took out. I can't figure out why I had no problems since I replaced them in September, but now the plug won't stay in for more than a mile. In fact, it's only one plug that keeps coming out.

I'm going to take apart the tail so I can see what's going on. I'll have better idea once I do that.
Erick

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I figured out why the spark plug came out. The tool I was using to install the plug was up against the frame on the left side. It wasn't straight on the plug but it felt like it was tight when I turned the tool.

I got an extention and was able to get more of a straight line. I was able to tighten the plug quite a bit more. Too late to take it for a test drive, maybe tomorrow.

On a different note, does anyone else have a 1/2 in wood covering the engine?? It's shaped to conform to the curve of the tail. Just seems odd to have wood close to hottest part of engine.

Also, I have a light on the back wall of the storage compartment. The wires are disabled. Doesn't seem to make any sense why there would be a light there.

Thanks for all the feedback. It really helps to know my Pulse isn't the only one having these little issues. Seems like there are always little issues to deal with. Very Happy
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erick,

Congrats on figuring out the spark plug mystery! ... and yes, it appears that in most cases, there is always something that needs tweaking and fixing.

AS far as the engine compartment bulkheads and covers... I've seen all kinds... most of them seem to be a combination of wood and aluminum covered with carpet. Mine was in pretty sad shape, but I don't think I would have put it back on anyway, it just wasn't very well designed. My new one is fiberglass with a built in head rest for the passenger. I am loosing the compartment area that some have over the top of the engine, so there's no one perfect solution. I've been temporarily driving with the engine open to the driver compartment, just so I can hear and see things while I'm still going thru trial excursions. I've got some pretty heavy duty sound insulation planned for the engine compartment when I finally start buttoning things up, hoping for a quieter driving exerience in the near future.

- Bob
elden simons

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: 1/2 inch plywood Reply with quote

Erik, the only 1/2 inch plywood that mine has is the back shelf over the air filter housing.

Such joy that is, because when I commented to someone at Plant 2 about how inconvenient it is to change an air filter with the air conditioner unit bolted on top, the response was, "Why would you want to do that? Just bring it back here for it to be done. You shouldn't need to do any maintenance."

Um, right...practicly over 6 hour drive one way from where I live.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: