PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reverse Unit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pulse220

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:57 am    Post subject: Reverse Unit Reply with quote

I've read the previous posts regarding reverse units, but I'm looking to see if anyone has new information or ideas.

My reverse unit was handed to me when I bought #220. Needless to say, it does not work. The gears and so called gearbox look ok, but the motor is no good. I've attempted to identify the starter motor as it definitely looks like a motorcycle starter, but I have been unsuccessful. Does anyone know what bike the reverse starter motor is from? I would like to have a reverse, as well as a parking brake.

I have toyed with the idea of using a small winch with a small rubber wheel attached to it (where the cable would usually go) that when engaged would function similarly to the orginal reverse, but I think it would be easier to use the parts I have if I could replace the motor.

Any motor ideas or suggestions appreciated.
Chad
elden simons

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Rubber Wheel Reply with quote

Chad, I'm sure someone will get back to you about the starter motor / reverse motor.

In the mean time, your idea of a winch and rubber tire may only work on sunny days and warm weather. As drastic as the look of that drive cog that the reverse motor has for contact on the rear wheel. It is the best for all weather.

As for a parking brake, I am understanding that just parking it in gear isn't enough. Of course I can picture the situation of trying to start the autocycle on a slanted pavement and having it roll when using the clutch. then, there is the use of the reverse gear when in the same situation (if only it was installed and operational). Then, again...would you forget to disingage it before engaging the transmission?

Rumor had it that OMCC had installed a warning buzzer for when the reverse unit was engaged. The owners that had this for their vehicles complained and also disconnected such.

A letter that came to me during the early '90's was from a fella who installed some sort of hydraulic brake lock. I'm going to have to look for that letter and see if much is said in explaination.
You would hate to do any manual alteration to the foot brake that may malfuntion and lock unintentionally.

Oh, I know...carry a sturdy two foot stick with a four foot rope on it. Stick in the front wheel spokes and when you got the vehicle started, just yank on the rope and pull inside and the way you go!
(getting it into the spokes when you first park it is up to how fast you can move)
Tammy and Elden have Pulse #308 from 1988.Built in Butcher's Barn and presently sets inoperative in their garage. We are still keeping it!
pulse220

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elden,
I thought about using a hydraulic brake lock. They are very common on race cars and are referred to as line locks. They go inline of the brake system and can be mounted anywhere. A somple twist of a lever or push of a ball locks the pressure in the line. However, I do not want to have something inline of my brake system that may fail or cause the brakes to either apply or not apply. I'd like to go with a totally independant unit that, if it fails, does not do anything to the main system.

You are right that a rubber wheel may not be totally ideal in wet weather. Maybe I could mount the original metal cog or have a similar one machined.

From my brother's Pulse, I have seen that a working parking brake and a working reverse is extremely helpful, something I definately want. There has been several times that he was letting his Pulse warm up and he would have to sit in it, on the brakes if it did not have a parking brake. Also, as limited as the reverse is, it gets him in and out of his gargae everytime. It also has made turning around in the street much easier.

Chad
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad,

You're right, it's a motocycle starter motor. Somewhere in my garage I have the manufacturer and model number. I'll try to hunt it down. If I remember correctly it was made by Mitsua and was found on several older bikes. I remember bidding on one that came off a Honda 750.

The internals are pretty simple, so the odds are if you just took it to a local automotive electrical repair shop, one that fixes alternators, etc, they'd fix it for a reasonable price. Sometimes finding a starter on Ebay for some of these older bikes is a tough chore and then you have to bid against everyone else that has been waiting to find the same thing.

Bob
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked the reverse unit from Pulse #77 and it looks like (a bit hard to read) Mitsuba sm-228. If you do a search, there's a few on Ebay. Of course I'll use the standard Pulse disclaimer, in that, just because this part is used on Pulse #77 doesn't necessarily mean that's the part used on your Pulse. I'd still go the route of taking it to an auto electric shop to be inspected and repaired.
Grimace

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought here, how difficult would it be to install a locking brake pedal similar to what is used in golf carts? I have no way of knowing if they make anything like that on a smaller scale, but I think that would be ideal.
pulse220

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with the golf cart pedal. But I will take a look at one and see if it will adapt.
Thanks to everyone for all the ideas that get exchanged...always keeps me thinking!!
And thanks Bob for looking for what was used in Pulse#77. I'll see if mine is the same.
hatfield

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced mine. It was from ahonda CB750. I am a Honda dealer, I can get you one from an after market supplier cheaper than from Honda.
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete,

Thanks for the verification on the reverse unit starter motor. I finally got #77 out onto the road, but just jockeying it around in the driveway without my reverse installed was a challenge. Even though most owners say they rarely us it, it's nice to have for that one time when you really need it.

- Bob
pulse220

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete and Bob,
Thanks again for the asistance with the reverse. (Pete, I will contact you if I end up fixing this reverse unit for assitance with getting a new starter motor.)

I may have to go a different route though......preliminary measurements appear that I may not be able to mount and use the original reverse unit. My new donor bike has a smaller frame. I'm still working on a way to get it mounted or another alternative reverse system.

Chad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: