PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pulse #77 - IT'S ALIVE!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Pulse #77 - IT'S ALIVE! Reply with quote

Before getting into this weekend's activities, I'd first like to take a moment to thank all those of our group who at some point or another served in the US military. As I was sitting in my garage on this Memorial Day weekend working on the Pulse, I realized how thankful we all should be for those that sacrificed so much for the freedom of others. Politics aside, this is an awesome country, PERIOD!

Yes, after almost 2 years of dissecting #77, rebuilding, replicating, and alot of scratching my head... the 1983 Goldwing GL1100 came to life once again. I was several hours from pulling the entire wiring harness and replacing it with one I had purchased off Ebay, but thought I'd give the wiring diagram one last look. Luckily, I found, amongst the rats nest of wires, a few 12v wires that were disconnected. Connecting them to the ignition switch and "Houston, we have lift off"! Anyone that was outside Monday afternoon and was facing to the southeast, would have seen my smile... Don't get me wrong, there's still plenty of work to do, but just hearing the roar of those 4 cylinders, breathed new life into my efforts.

More to come, after I get the brake lines in and take the "Breezy" Pulse for a quick trip down the driveway. Razz
pinkhamr

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Bob !! Very Happy
Dave Bauer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Memorial Day Reply with quote

Bob,
The past and present members of the U.S. Military thank you.

Dave Bauer
Lieutenant, U.S. Navy
elden simons

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:44 am    Post subject: Salutations to Dr.Hollywood Frankensteen Reply with quote

"Its Alive!"

Mmmmrrrgh...Arrrrrrgh!
Vrrrooommgh-Vrrrooomgh!

Now to see it dance....

*All trekkers that know anything about autocycles (and Carvers) flash you the Vulcan salute!
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to give you all an update on the progress of #77. I did a test fit of the main fuselage last week, so it's starting to look like a Pulse again. For some reason the body is forward a quarter inch, so I had to grind off the steel body support up front and will have to re-weld it later. It all has to come off, when the parts go for final paint, but I figured while the body is on, I'd hook everything up and possibly get some test miles on it. Hopefully, I can accomplish that in the next week or so... Can wait!

The fiberglass rollbar cover is giving me some "fit" issues, so I'm going to "slot" the holes in the lower connection points, so I have some room to play.

I'm not looking forward to pulling it all apart again to paint, but, between this and doing initial body fitting on the first of the proto-types, it's getting easier.

- Bob
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, #77 made it out the drvieway and down the street this weekend. I normally would be a bit more excited, but some of the noises coming from the GL1100 under load sounded like I have some major challenges ahead of me.

So, where's our club Goldwing experts? The donor starts, idles, and revs fine without a load, but once I throw it into 1st gear and begin letting out the clutch, it sounds like the engine or drive is going to jump out onto the street! It's hard to drive and observe at the same time, so I couldn't narrow down the possibilities.

If I get the revs up and slide the clutch out just right, it accelerates ok, but not smooth by a long shot.

Any words of advice would be appreciated.

- Bob
mikepulse325

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Down the driveway Reply with quote

325 also is Goldwing - what I tried. Try the clutch adjustment first. You want it light (lots of slide). Make sure when you go into first, you are really in first. I have noticed that even with the neutral light on and one pull back to shift, mine drops into 2nd or 3rd sometimes. Pulse is a heavy bird to start from a dead stop in 2nd or 3rd without extra revs and even then you'll get some chucking. Finally, Pulses have a lot of parade miles on them (twenty feet clutch, then twenty feet clutch again) Shriners disease is common, a new clutch plate may be called for. If it is noise without the vibration of something being chewed up you may be better off than you think. Mike
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
Thanks for the tips.

One of things I have been wrestling with is the clutch adjustment. With all the areas for tweeking and slop that exist in linkage, it's seems like getting the clutch setup just right is going to take some magic. I've got my GL1100 repair reference, but unfortunately it doesn't include a 3 ft steel rod and foot pedal.

Yeah, I got the vibration and noise. That's what has me a bit concerned. I read on one of the Goldwing forums that if the rear air shocks are not inflated properly, you'll also get some strange sounds and vibes do to wheel hop. I'll have to do some more investigation.

Thanks

- Bob
elden simons

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Pulse 308 Manual, Page 13 Reply with quote

CLUTCH,
Until your "Pulse" is broken-in (about 1200 miles), the clutch will require adjustment several times due mainly to clutch seating and cable stretch.
CAUTION: Failure to keep the clutch in proper adjustment may result in the following:
1. Excessive drag and starter failure.
2. Overheating
3. Clutch failure

Proper adjustment is a clutch that: 1. Does Not slip at higher RPMs
2. Does Not drag and try to propel the vehicle when clutch is fully depressed
3. Does shift hard.

ADJUSTMENT: (The clutch adjustment turnbuckle is located under the lower left side of the dash, above and just to the left of the clutch pedal)
a. Slipping clutch, (1) Loosen jam nut. (2) Rotate turnbuckle counter-clockwise (lengthen rod) until clutch holds but does not drag when fully depressed. (3) Tighten jam nut.

b. Dragging clutch, (1) Loosen jam nut. (2) Rotate turnbuckle clockwise (shorten rod) until clutch does not drag when fully depressed. (3) Tighten jam nut.

*Slipping Clutch and Dragging Clutch seems to have the same 'dragging' situation, well...this is from the manual.
Tammy and Elden have Pulse #308 from 1988.Built in Butcher's Barn and presently sets inoperative in their garage. We are still keeping it!
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh yes! After 3 and a half years Pulse #77 has finally been christened as "road worthy" and after a few short excusions through the back roads of southwest Orlando, if you couldn't see the huge grin on my face from your state, you weren't facing toward Florida!

Oh, sure... I've still got that "list" of tasks that need completing, but they'll slowly get checked off as I enjoy alittle cockpit time.

I've updated my Webshots album with some pics.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2398890730038589010QHaFyq

A big thanks to all that have helped along the way! Have a great Thanksgiving!

- Bob
pulse220

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,
I just looked at the pictures...very, very nice job. You are keeping me inspired! Having started rebuilding #220, as well as completing frame off streetrod restos before, I can appreciate the work involved. It's a great feeling of accomplishment too.

I know that you said you have a few tasks to complete, but I didn't see front turn signals. Did I miss them or what is you plan for them? Also, did you add marker/running lights to the outriggers? I didn't see them either.

.......just curious as I mocked up some of my new lights on #220 (2 new round tail and 2 rear (1937 Chevy) turn signal lights) and am still looking for a good outrigger marker light solution. Although it looks like Radaintz flexible LEDs is the way I'm going.
Chad
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad,

The front turn signals are built into the rear view mirrors. I bought the mirrors off ebay. They're used by the metric tuner crowd. As I remember they were around $19 each.

Yes, all the other lights have been converted from filament to LED which I got from a distributor of the Radiantz products. I'm looking into additional lighting from LEDs for the outriggers to using EL Lites. There's a lot of really interesting low voltage products available to spice up our vehicles inside and out.

I have to fabricate both the dash and dash cover as well as the bulkhead between the engine and passenger area. I didn't care too much for the originals and since they needed repair, I felt like just designing something new. Of course, that takes a bit more time. Right now the ignition and other switches are mounted to a temp dash.

- Bob
pulse220

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,
Yep, I see it now. I can't believe I missed the lights in the mirrors. They look like the same ones I added on my Corbin Sparrow that I changed to LED and painted to match...http://corbinsparrow.com/_wsn/page15.html

I've been going over front blinker lights and mirrors for weeks now trying to come up with something I liked (I'm on my 4th set of mirrors and 3rd set of blinkers but I'm still not happy). I didn't want to use the same ones that I put on the Sparrow, although I'm not sure why. I guess I want a different look but I also want something that doesn't look as dated as what was originally on #220.

They do look great on yours though. Much cleaner without the turn signals sticking out.
Chad
Falcon Wing

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, MORE pics please!!
www.picturetrail.com/falconwing2 (seat bracket build)
Nelson Locke

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: Way to go BOB Reply with quote

Simply AWESOME

I have been outside waxing and buffing, I think I am going to go win some more first place trophies down here.

WHEN will we all get togather and cruise? Daytona in March??
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliments, it's so nice to have it on the road after 3 plus years .... Smile

Nelson, glad to hear you still have the Pulse in Fl, not sure if it was going to TX. Yes, let's look at Bike Week 2008.

I had it out again this weekend. Taking it a little further than returning to make adjustments. Here's a brake question for everyone... my brakes are working fairly well, but I can't lock them up very easy, like when having to make an emergency stop. What's everyones general experience with the Pulse brake setup?

Here's a few nontechnical, perhaps dumb questions .... do you have to wave at everyone when you're out driving these things? and has anyone caused an accident from other drivers checking out your Pulse and not paying attention to where they're driving? Even on my short trips, I've never had more cell phone cameras pointed in my direction. Looking forward to gettiong it out on some major roadways, where I'm sure I'll eventually attract the attention of curious police officers. Which leads to another question.... have all Pulse owners been stopped, not for speeding, but just because.....?

Some notes on the Pulse driving experience...

- I've been very careful that I've cased out the path before taking the Pulse, since at this stage, I'm not too interested in getting stuck in a situation where I have to get out and push it backwards to complete a turn or maneuver thru tight quarters.

- The "backlash" in the Pulse steering box makes me nervous. Too much slop in the steering for me.

- I occassionally hear "unusual" suspension noise hitting un-even areas of the road. This still needs some investigation. I'm not sure if it's the shocks unloading or the outrigger wheels.

- Note to self and others. Make sure the sliding canopy is locked when in the "slid back or open" position. Applying brakes causes it to slide forward rather quickly. Ouch!?$@#

- Not totally happy with the clearity of the Todd's Canopy's front windshield. It's just Ok during the day and I'd be leary of driving at night.

That's it for now .... Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

- Bob
Falcon Wing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Hichborn wrote:
Here's a few nontechnical, perhaps dumb questions .... do you have to wave at everyone when you're out driving these things? and has anyone caused an accident from other drivers checking out your Pulse and not paying attention to where they're driving? Even on my short trips, I've never had more cell phone cameras pointed in my direction. Looking forward to gettiong it out on some major roadways, where I'm sure I'll eventually attract the attention of curious police officers. Which leads to another question.... have all Pulse owners been stopped, not for speeding, but just because.....?

- Bob

Read my post here:
http://blog.autocycles.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=192
www.picturetrail.com/falconwing2 (seat bracket build)
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had #77 out again, this time for a longer loop. Not much new to report other than finding the answer to the odd banging sound while driving. It turns out that the noise was the left side outrigger wheel hitting the road centerline reflectors. Smile

I guess it takes awhile to make the transition from driving a car where the driver's view is close to the centerline to the Pulse, where you should be driving down the center on the lane.

Other than that, I have to pick up a tube of "lock tight", since I've found a few loose body fasteners after the last outing.

- Bob
RFly2Dive

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,
I am truly impressed. I was wondering what that bright white light I saw to the south was. Now I know it was just the sun reflecting off your smile.
BTW I hope you and Nelson don't forget me when Bike Week happens. Even though I no longer have a bike or Pulse I would like to spend some time with both of you.
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralph,

Absolutely! We'll keep you and rest of the Florida Pulse People informed as Bike Week nears. I may have to think of a trailering method, since I'm still not sure about the 80 mile trip to the beach. I wonder how many miles I'll have to put on #77 before I feel comfortable about jumping in and going.

- Bob
mikepulse325

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Bob's questions Reply with quote

1. Caused one accident so far. I turned left, gawker behind me ran over a traffic island (well he really did not "run over" a traffic island - he hit it and tore his left front wheel off)
2. Pulled over once so far by Police. Quote: "you did nothing wrong, what the hell is this thing?". Maryland has helmet laws, really enjoyed Cruise In/Fly In Indiana, no helmet laws. Stuck wearing helmet in Maryland because without it, excuse to be pulled over by the curious law enforcement with a ticket to boot - anybody else have same issue or got a ticket?
3. Wave at those that wave at you or give the thumbs up - when it is safe
4. Biggest worry: is the idiots that while driving, attempt to take a cell phone pix. Lots of shots of me "waving" (as in pix taker drifting in to me)
5. Highlights, two college girls "waved" me over, I stopped, they got pictures including sitting in 325. Was not successful in getting them to sit on my lap (just kidding)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: