PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Front shock replacement (coil overs)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Bauer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Front shock replacement (coil overs) Reply with quote

All,
Does anyone have coil-over spring shocks in the FRONT end of their machine? If so, are they original or aftermarket? Who is the manufacturer and what is the part number? Most importantly: How well do they work?

My front air shocks finally gave out because the speedo cable rubbed on the right shock boot (Danger, Will Robinson, Danger) and I want to fix the problem once and for all with coil-overs. I used coil-overs on the rear but they ride a little too rough since they were designed for a heavier street rod.
-Dave Bauer
Pulse 167
Bob Cervero

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, when I replaced the front coil over shocks on #61, I used Monroe 575 Load levelers. They worked fine. In my opinion the best set up is coil over shock in front and air shocks in the rear. That way the front ride heighth never changes so you don't get changes in steering characteristics, but you still have the ability to correct ride heighth in the rear for load variations and road conditions.

You can however add shims under the coil over springs to raise the front ride heighth if you need to, as I did on #61.
Dave Bauer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:58 am    Post subject: coil over shocks Reply with quote

Bob,
I looked up the Monroe 575 on Monroe's website. I couldn't find 575 but I did find 58575. By the decription, it appears that these shocks have a loop and bushing at both ends, compress to 9.375 inches and expand to 14.5 inches and have a 60# spring on them. Does these sound like the right ones?
If so, how well do the 60# springs work for you?
-Dave
pulse220

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:23 am    Post subject: coil over shocks Reply with quote

Bob,
For what it's worth, while I was rebuilding my front end, I replaced the original air shocks with another set of new air shocks. I did this because I was advised by Bob Hichborn that the mounts for the factory air shocks vs. factory coilovers was different, and by that I mean not just the mounts but also the angle. He sent a picture showing the difference.

It is my understanding that you have to modify and relocate the mounts to change from air to coilovers.

Perhaps there are coilovers out there that would fit and work without any problem. I'd love to see if there is another shock besides the airshcoks I mounted. Although, I do like the ability to adjust the ride height in seconds via pressure.
Chad
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Here's a link to the picture that Chad referenced.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1370190315038589010BmbonP

You'll notice the positioning difference of the top shock mount between Pulse #77 that had the coil overs when I put it and Hal's Pulse in South Florida that was fitted with the air shocks. Of course, as all us Pulse owners have learned... "your configuration may vary".

Monroe no longer makes/markets the original coilover shocks that were used on the Pulse. Napa picked up the line (well, at least they were last year when I last bought a set) and the new name is the SensaTrac part number 58575. Somewhere along the line they switched between being black to white, so it's possible you may end up purchasing a set that could be either color depending on the stores inventory.

That's about the extent of my experience with shocks. Bob, who responded above and Don Muddiman put alot of time into experimenting with shocks, right height, tire pressure, etc... Even though they have both sold their Pulses they continue to share their wealth of knowledge and experience with the group. Thanks Very Happy

- Bob
Chuck Furgason

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Pulse328 had coil over on front and rear. I tried installing load leveler shocks on the front and could not get it to lift the front. What I ended up doing was leaving one air on and one coil over. I don't know how much this effects the handling but I have ran like this for several years. In fact one year at Marion at slow speed I had a very bad shake it turned out to be the coil spring on the shock had broke.

Pulse 324 has air front and back.
Dave Bauer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: coil-overs Reply with quote

Thanks all for providing your input.
I replaced all 4 original air shocks on my Pulse in '92 with Monroe air shocks. The fit well, but I never liked the stiff ride they gave me. So, shortly after, I fit coil-overs in the rear. I liked then, but still thought the ride was a little stiff. Now that the front shocks have finally failed again, I'm going to try the Monroe 58575s on the front. I'm not opposed to modifying my shock mounts to fit the coil-overs.

I'll let you know how it all turns out.
-Dave Bauer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: