PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Removing rear seat panel and Tire suggestions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave K

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:31 am    Post subject: Removing rear seat panel and Tire suggestions Reply with quote

I am in the process of doing the regular maintanence but I am having problems removing the rear seat panel to get to the engine to work on it. I removed every bolt on the back panel but it still won't come out. What do I need to do to get it out? Also, in my Honda Goldwing manual suggests that you could put a 4.50 x 17 automotive tire on if you had a sidecar attached to it since you would not be riding on the side of the tire and could have a flatter tread on the ground. The problem I have is that my engine is a 1982 Goldwing and they changed the rim to a 16 inch rim. Has anybody found a tire that would fit that rim. I found one that would fit the 17 inch rim. Could that rim be put on my pulse to make it work or any other suggestions?
Steve195

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:21 am    Post subject: rear seat Reply with quote

To remove the rear seat first the side panels have to be removed, I had 4, 1/4" lag screws on each side of the rear panel two at the bottom near the center tube, use a magnet to find them, if the carpet is hiding them, the other two about 1/4 way from the bottom at each side just below the level of the bottom of the outrigger. There are two wood screws at the top on each side securing the panel to the cargo area deck. The seat will probably be held in by urethane foam used to seal the gaps around the edges. Pull Hard!. To get the seat from the body once it is loose, pull the bottom out toward the front and slide it down level with the center tube, It wont go up because it is too wide for the lip on the top sides of the body. Lift either the left or right side up first and remove sideways from the body. Hope This helps,
Steve 195
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 10:40 pm    Post subject: Tires for the Pulse Reply with quote

Dave,

Did you get any answers on your Pulse tire question? I'm looking for front, rear, and outrigger wheels for #77 I just bought and am curious to what kind of tires everyone is buying.

Is that front rim from a car? My rear wheel is a no brainer, since the entire drivetrain is from the GL1100.

Thanks

Bob
Nelson Locke

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,
I bought my outrigger tires and wheels from Northern Tool. Worked very well. Have not had to replace the two main tires yet.
You can buy these on the web at northerntool.com
Steve195

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: Tires for Pulse Reply with quote

Check here http://www.shiawasseehistory.com/pulsepartslist.html
I use the Michelin, I have the automotive rim on the rear so I have these on the front and rear. I believe others are using the same tire.
One quick question, How loud is the goldwing from the back seat area? Do you have to yell over the engine to carry on a conversation? I have the ninja 750, can't beat it for power but vibrations and engine noise resonate through the body making conversation difficult except at cruising speed, 70mph. Engine noise seems to go away at this speed. but is louder above or below this speed.
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh.....nice parts list! Thanks for the link!

The Goldwing is probably a lower rpm engine,
so overall it's maybe smoother and lower volume.

I only drove it around the block a few times, before
parking it behind my fence to begin the restoration
process. I've looked behind the passenger seat and
there's definitely room for noise reduction improvements
there.

I've already sanded the body down so I can evaluate
areas that need fiberglass repair. Weather permitting
I'll get the glass bodywork done and get a few coats
of primer on her this weekend. The outriggers are off
to the welders to be rebuilt and powder coated.
therouj

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you have the outrigger tires balanced? I'm considering taking the ones I will be installing on 276 to the local FBO at our airport and having them balance and perhaps inflate with Nitrogen rather than normal air.
Muddiman

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys read my web pages all the questions you are asking are there.
www.pulsefl.0catch.com

Front & rear tires:
145 or 155 SR 13 Radial (*Recommend Michelin 155SR13 XW4 Black wall, this is a symmetrical tire)

Note: 145 is the width in millimeters - 13 is the rim size in inches Make
sure the tire is symmetrical in tread design. The 155 width is the maximum size that will fit without spacing out the rear sprocket and creating chain alignment problems.
Tire Pressure ~ 30 to 35 PSI
I recommend using 35 PSI on the rear tire if you have the reverse unit.
Note: Running a low tire pressure on the rear tire will allow the reverse
unit to spin against the tire.

Outriggers Tires:

4.80x8 - Use a high quality 2 or 4 ply tire rated for Highway speed
*Recommend Carlisle Brand
Note: Balance tires to provide for a smooth ride and to prevent repeated
excess wear in one spot of the tire. An unbalanced outrigger tire will
rotate to the same position during its rest position (no road contact). Each
contact with the road will then create excessive wear in one spot on the
tire. Run the tire pressure between 10 to 20 PSI for increased tire wear
and a smoother ride. The low tire pressure allows the sidewalls to flex thus reducing the scuffing effect/wear.
Note: Running a low tire may require tubes in the tires to prevent the tire
from popping off the rim. (I prefer using tubes)
You can purchase a tire and rim together at Wal-Mart for $26.00. This is a cheap tire and will not give you long mileage.

Link to my home made balancer.

http://www.pulsefl.0catch.com/Precision_High_Point_Balancer/precision_high_point_balancer.htm

http://www.pulsefl.0catch.com/Parts_List/index.htm

Out-rigger Tires, Turning, Highway Speeds and Tire wear

http://www.pulsefl.0catch.com/Out-Rigger_Tires-Turning-Highway_Speeds-Wear.htm

Jacking up the Pulse

1) To service the front end/wheel: I used a motorcycle/ATV jack and
placed it at the aft opening of the front wheel cavity onto the fiberglass
body.
2) To service the rear end/wheel: I used a standard floor jack placed
under on the outer outrigger support brackets. I then jacked the outrigger high enough to place a 8" block with stops on each side of the tire under the outrigger tire. Repeat for the other side to service the rear tire. With this setup the aft end will be completely off the ground.
3) To service just that outrigger tire place a safety jack along side the
floor jack.

If your afraid the outriggers can not support this weight then by no means
would I want to drive the Pulse anyway.
There have been some weld problems with the outrigger supports. I would inspect the welds closely before I proceed to jack as stated above.

Keep'em Humming,
Don

Don Muddiman
Check Your Pulse web page.
http://www.eagle-i.us
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: