PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

electrical parts wanted

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMD1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: electrical parts wanted Reply with quote

If any one has converted from the Yamaha 400 and has known good electrical parts left over please contact me. I need charging and ignition. Thanks Dave 186
elden simons

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:13 am    Post subject: If that request don't work... Reply with quote

Club Member, Leroy Cook, also searched for such recently according to this Forum. If no one responds to your need, perhaps write him and learn what route he has traveled to obtain the hard to get parts.
It has been difficult and he will be frank about it.
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

I'm sure you've done the obvious and checked Ebay or Craigs List.

One leason that I've learned, but still ignore from time to time, is "buy new" if possible. I can't tell you how many times I had #77 apart replacing Start Motors, coils, etc that I got from Ebay. Oh, yeah they worked when I got them, but lets face it, they're 20 year old parts. I finally, bought a new HD, that's Heavy Duty, starter and haven't had a problem since.
This is a tough one for me, but I'm starting to figure that my time has value, so I'm beginning to factor that into how I approach projects. Case in point... I just completed getting another Goldwing GL1100 donor bike running. I went cheap, got a rough looking bike that ran for under $1000, but have spent a ton of time and money on parts getting it to the same level, if I had just gone out and bought a really nice well kept Goldwing.

Good luck....

Bob
DMD1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: new parts Reply with quote

I did not see listings for new ignitor box and some other electrical. My bike experience is all but nil. So I do not know what can interchange etc. So My thought was to at least start with a known good used and see what changes occur. This kind of reminds Me of My old Ford Mustang. People would attach two ignition boxes on fender knowing one would go bad. So I will add an extra ignitor and what the heck used coils are cheap. At some point I will know what I am doing an will upgrade/change as needed. Currently it is breaking up under load over 6k rpm. No load is ok. I am thinking My coils are a bit weak. In coming days and weeks manuals and parts will be showing up. Later Dave
Stevenp74

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

which model of the 400 do you have? The SJ or the RJ ,most likely the
RJ. The top of the RJ looks like the letter H. I replaced my SJ engine
and still have most of the parts. I may even have a wrongly ordered
pair of RJ coils. I replaced my engine with a water cooled inline four.
If you want to drive it much think about a water cooled one in the future.
I have been putting on over 100 miles a day since I made the change.
DMD1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: pack and ship Reply with quote

Let Me know what You need for coils. It is the rj. Thanks 186 Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: